Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 3/8/2015 3:54:34 PM EDT
Back from the range testing my new buffer tube, buffer spring and buffer setup in my AP M5.

Carbine buffer, Sprinco orange spring, and DPMS .308 carbine buffer.

Goes bang every time but still ejecting at 2:00

I was hoping it would be ejecting at 3:00-4:00 but no luck.

Also tried a heavy Wolfe XP rifle spring and H3 buffer in my PSA PA-10

It's going bang every time too but ejecting at 2:00PM

Running a 16" Rainer barrel on both and Gieselle super gas block

My question is, at this point, should I just be happy it goes bang or try a Syrac adjust. gas block

I'm not sure that turning the gas down is going to change the direction it's ejecting and I really like the Gieselle super gas block because it's
easy to pin and I really wanted a pinned gas block.

I've seen some posts on the net saying that ejecting at 2:00PM is fine as long as it's reliable and that you should only worry if it's ejecting at 1:00PM

Has anyone managed to get a PSA PA-10 or Aero M5 ejecting at 3:00-4:00?  

If so what buffer, buffer tube, buffer spring, and gas block setup were you using?

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:41:05 PM EDT
If the gun is ejecting 100% and having no issues, stop worrying about it.  I've never understood why folks stress over stuff like this.  The important thing is that your gun is functioning 100%.  I expect very soon somebody will come along and suggest your gun should be throwing curve balls.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:00:50 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the gun is ejecting 100% and having no issues, stop worrying about it.  I've never understood why folks stress over stuff like this.  The important thing is that your gun is functioning 100%.  I expect very soon somebody will come along and suggest your gun should be throwing curve balls.
View Quote

I agree 100 percent
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:01:52 AM EDT
Usually ejecting at 2 OClock means it's over gassed. It will run fine, but if you're a reloader it's hard on the brass. Basically the gun is trying to pull the case before its shrinked back down from firing. You will show what looks like high pressure signs on your brass.

Don't care about the brass then keep it as is. An adjustable gas block gives you more options later.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:19:40 AM EDT
My LR-243 was ejecting at 1-2 o'clock and the extractor was tearing the crap out of the case. An adjustable gas block cured that and it now ejects at 3-4 o'clock.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:31:33 PM EDT
My Aero usually ejects 6' to 3pm but I had some FN-59 I shot the other day that landed 8' @ 6pm!!

10 in a row. what does that tell you?

and to top that I was also finding brass 2'@8pm !! it had to be bouncing off something but I never could see what.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:40:31 PM EDT
you could try a slash, heavy buffer.

but if it operates reliably, I'd keep it that way unless it looks like the brass is getting mangled or if the carrier/bolt is having excessive wear.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:07:26 AM EDT
Well, I just ordered a Syrac adjustable gas block.  Will see if that changes anything.

I've tried a heavier H3 buffer on my PSA PA-10 and it didn't make any difference.  It ejects at 2:00 too.  I think the heavier buffer just slows the cyclic rate down.  It dosen't do anything the first 1 inch bolt travel that is determine how the rifle ejects.

If the rifle is really over gassed then it would seem that the barrel makers (Rainier) are drilling the gas ports too large, true?

I mean, this seems to be a common issue with AR10's but it's never an issue with 16" milspec barrel AR15's.  Thinking AR10 barrel makers need to ease off on the gas port diameter.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:54:12 AM EDT
What is your bcg? Just curious.

A heavier buffer will definitely improve ejection, I've never heard of only the first inch effecting that. Try this: use a 308 snap cap and eject a round by hand with the charging handle. See how nicely it ejects? That's your target.

An adjustable gas block should do the trick as well, but you should not need both that and a heavy buffer. One or the other.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:11:34 AM EDT
I did just that with my aero m5 and it was tearing up the snap cap, I took the extractor apart initially to deburr all the edges and remember seeing two o-rings and thought it was strange

I couldn't get the bolt to close with the FA and had to basically have the bolt all the way back and slam it shut

I took both o-rings off and can now close the bolt with the FA

Haven't fire it yet but I could see that being a problem, I'm going to bring an o-ring with me to the range when I do shoot it just in case, the injector spring seems just a little stiffer than my ar15 now
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:36:21 AM EDT

Quoted:

I did just that with my aero m5 and it was tearing up the snap cap, I took the extractor apart initially to deburr all the edges and remember seeing two o-rings and thought it was strange

I couldn't get the bolt to close with the FA and had to basically have the bolt all the way back and slam it shut

Haven't fire it yet but I could see that being a problem, I'm going to bring an o-ring with me to the range when I do shoot it just in case, the injector spring seems just a little stiffer than my ar15 now
View Quote

Two o-rings? That's a new one, at least for me.

It's interesting. One of the "treatments" for overgassed guns is to make the extractor tension sky high. That way it supposedly won't slip off the rim when the bolt is cycling back at the speed of light. The usual insert, o-ring, and spring setup works well with 556 and 308. I hope two o-rings was a mistake!!

Either way, slow your BCG down and you should see a big improvement.

-Stooxie

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:33:19 AM EDT
I took my pa-10 to the range yesterday.  Ejection was between 4 and 5.  Fixed stock armalite buffer and spring.  shot xm80 and pmc bronze  It's the 18 stainless midlength
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:06:01 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL!!!  +1 on your comments.  I wish that that GD ejection pie chart would just go away.  People loose too many brain cells worrying about this.  If the brass gets out of the gun then don't sweat it!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:28:51 PM EDT
Quoted:
What is your bcg? Just curious.

A heavier buffer will definitely improve ejection, I've never heard of only the first inch effecting that. Try this: use a 308 snap cap and eject a round by hand with the charging handle. See how nicely it ejects? That's your target.

An adjustable gas block should do the trick as well, but you should not need both that and a heavy buffer. One or the other.

-Stooxie
View Quote

The Aero M5 has an Aero bolt carrier with a JP enhanced bolt.  AR-15 carbibe buffer tube, Sprinco Orange .308 spring, and DPMS .308 carbine buffer.

The PSA PA-10 has a PSA BCG with a PSA PA-10 buffer tube, Sprinco green rifle spring, and H3 buffer.

Both rifles eject at 2:00
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:33:00 PM EDT
Quoted:

It's interesting. One of the "treatments" for overgassed guns is to make the extractor tension sky high. That way it supposedly won't slip off the rim when the bolt is cycling back at the speed of light. The usual insert, o-ring, and spring setup works well with 556 and 308. I hope two o-rings was a mistake!!

-Stooxie

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Stooxie

My PSA PA-10 bcg extractor also has two o-rings on it and had a dual coil extractor spring.  I'll probably take at least one if not both of the o-rings out before it's over.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:52:18 PM EDT
I have a overgassed S&W with jp enhanced bcg. Put a blue sprinco spring and h2 buffer.  Made it shoot much softer.  But ejects at 1 to 2 o'clock. . It is 100 % reliable.

The brass hits at a different location and shoots forward.

But I don't care cause it runs just fine.
Top Top