Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2003 12:36:15 PM EDT
I am just completing my first AR type rifle and would like to know which BUIS to purchase.

Origionally I was looking at the knights or the GG&G MAD sight when I came across this one.

Does anyone have any experience with this sight?

It is the one at the bottom...

www.gunkits.com/carry.html

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/30/2003 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a knockoff of the real MAD sight, if you want a MAD then you might as well get the real thing.  Personally I prefer the KAC 300M, most people like the ARMS #40.  Whatever it is, I wouldn't buy it from ASA, from what I hear the owner is a total ahole.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally I would stay the hell away from ASA.  Insane owner, IMHO, and in the Opinion of many others.  Go with a different set up, like a GG&G or something like that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#3]
OH man, get the #40, it is built like a tank. It's the only one that goes back unto battery if hit by branches, your sleeve, what ever. I wouldn't by a scope mount that can get knocked over by accident any more than I would an iron sight. Sights held up by a detent are ok for bench rest only, but in field use, the detent can be easily over ridden and your sight is down without ya knowing it.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want a MAD, get the real one from GG&G.  Otherwise the #40 is the preferred BUIS around here [:)].
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Having used the KAC 300m, both GG&G variations and the ARMS 40, the ARMS unit is FAR superior.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Arms #40.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 5:33:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all your help. It looks like the A.R.Ms. I see it on Bushmasters sight. Do I need the extended front post? And is there a better place to get it?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for all your help. It looks like the A.R.Ms. I see it on Bushmasters sight. Do I need the extended front post? And is there a better place to get it?

Thanks again!
View Quote

There are several members who sell #40's on the [url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23]EE[/url] !
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#10]
ASA=trailer park junk.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#11]
GG&G should sue the crap out of ASA.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:GG&G should sue the crap out of ASA.

After Armalite gets done with them there won't be anything left for GG&G to get![;)]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#13]
GGG have been in court on the wrong end them selfs a few time too, and lost. Looks to me that they make a great pair as far as those type things go.
I don't think that a suite can be brought as there was prior art on that sight, from what I have seen.
Jack
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Who sued GG&G and for what item?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Who sued GG&G and for what item?
View Quote
ARMS.  As I recall, the guys at GG&G were once accociated with ARMS and when they struck out on their own trouble started.  It seems like GG&G used to make a one piece rail and flip up sight that was a little too much like the Swan Sleeve.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#16]
You learn something new every day...I did'nt know that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#17]
The owner of GG&G once worked for Dick Swan back in their beginning.

Man did I get a ration of shit when I went to their shop to look at some items and brought in my AR with it's ARMS 40.

They have a healthy competitive attitude [:D]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Actually it was onece on the ARMS web sight and in the trade papers. GG&G were making products from parts they got elsewhere and put the ARMS name and logo on things that ARMS didn't make or authorise. The fed court records show that there were 21 fed counts against GGG, and they plead, and had to pay ARMS a lot of money.
Jack
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry to get off topic in an area of the board in which I am supposed to make sure things stay on topic... BUT! Hahaha!

I recal a couple years ago there were some issues with ARMS #19ACOG mounts that were bought, from I believe, Botach. As it turned out, they were not real ARMS mounts even though they did have the ARMS logo etc. As I recall, they were actually made by GG&G. I believe they were much more black in color than the traditional ARMS grey color. What I remember most about this problem is that there were some issues with these mounts and the owners were in need of warantee and were out of luck.

I also recall, at about the same exact time, Botach doing a clearance of all their ARMS gear. They didnt sell ARMS gear for a little after that at all. I just checked and seethat they do have ARMS gear for sale on their site, but I could swear I remember something about some manufacturer saying they would not honor the warantee of any of their products bought through Botach.

Anyway... sorry for the deviation from the topic, but I just remembered all this and thought it was an intersting story. To get back on topic, get the #40. If not, whatever it is you do buy, dont buy it from ASA.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sorry to get off topic in an area of the board in which I am supposed to make sure things stay on topic... BUT! Hahaha!

I recal a couple years ago there were some issues with ARMS #19ACOG mounts that were bought, from I believe, Botach. As it turned out, they were not real ARMS mounts even though they did have the ARMS logo etc. As I recall, they were actually made by GG&G. I believe they were much more black in color than the traditional ARMS grey color. What I remember most about this problem is that there were some issues with these mounts and the owners were in need of warantee and were out of luck.

I also recall, at about the same exact time, Botach doing a clearance of all their ARMS gear. They didnt sell ARMS gear for a little after that at all. I just checked and seethat they do have ARMS gear for sale on their site, but I could swear I remember something about some manufacturer saying they would not honor the warantee of any of their products bought through Botach.

Anyway... sorry for the deviation from the topic, but I just remembered all this and thought it was an intersting story. To get back on topic, get the #40. If not, whatever it is you do buy, dont buy it from ASA.
View Quote

A couple of years ago, I posted that Botach was selling ARMS suff cheaper then anybody.  I was quickly informed by Donnie at SableCo that Botach was not an authorized dealer of ARMS stuff.  I bought a #38 Swan Sleeve from Botach at that time and it came in a plain, numarked plastic bag.  Makes ya wonder, huh?  
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

off topic away as I seem to have made my choice with the ARMS #40. Or perhaps a used knights when a buddy of mine stops jerkin around in the woods.....

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
off topic away as I seem to have made my choice with the ARMS #40. Or perhaps a used knights when a buddy of mine stops jerkin around in the woods.....

View Quote

Definitely the ARMS, I used a KAC 300M for a long time and now it sits in my parts pile.  Like many other KAC designs it's overpriced for what it is.  It doesn't spring backup when knocked down (which happens fairly often) and it doesn't have dual apertures (and NO, I don't consider a little plastic insert as a second aperture).

The ARMS does all that and more for a bit over half the cost of the KAC.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey Lumpy, if you walked into ARMS shop(if they had one)with GGG's parts, do you really think they would say nothing about the GGG parts to you. I don't think so.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Dont know what ARMS would do but the Knights guys only commented on how my SPR with all PRI and ARMS gear was a nice rig. He did mention what a nice rig my M4 with primarily Knights gear was too though! [;)]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 5:07:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I have had a qualified preferance for three sights as I have said time and again. PRI front, works perfect for the two rear sights I like. ARMS #40 for carbine and QCB work out to 300 meters, and the KAC 600 meter for long range and sniper work.
Jack  
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 5:21:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

[image]http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/angry/angryfinger.gif[/image]

Well, the #40 is better anyway.

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 5:23:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I see my buddy is still 'jerking'.... oh yeah ... around...

Check is in the mail hairy palm.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top