Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
6/25/2018 7:04:05 PM
Posted: 4/12/2018 9:09:51 PM EDT
I am building a carbine. I will eventually put a red-dot on it, but I am going to put a set of good quality flip up iron sights on it first. When I get it built and functional, I will start saving money for a good quality red dot. My plan is to ultimately set it up for absolute co-witness.

Do I need to buy a set of flip ups that are within a specific height range, so that they will be compatible for absolute co-witness with a red dot?

If so, what height flip ups should I look for?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:00:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:25:48 PM EDT
I am considering a set of Troy flip ups. I don't know if I should stick with the Battle Sights, or if I could consider their Micro Sights. I thought that the micros would be too short for absolute.

Maybe Santa will bring me an AimPoint Micro for Christmas. Then I will keep the BUISs folded down.

I am thinking that if I set them up for absolute, my sight plane won't change if I want to use the iron sights.

I am also considering Magpul MBus pro.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:48:51 PM EDT
...... I did a little more research and it looks like the micros were not intended for a standard flat top AR. So I they will not work for me anyway.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 2:55:51 AM EDT
MBUS Pros are solid and get my vote. My only other choice would be some KAC Micros. They would work great with an AimPoint and co-witness mount of your choice.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 3:52:19 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
A standard AR sight plane is 2.6 inches above the bore, the height of an M4’s front sight base. Whether rail or barrel mounted, standard height AR/M4 sights line up with this sight plane. Any standard-height sight should work with any other standard-height sight, as well as a standard front sight base. 

Absolute co-witness refers to an optic mount that places the reticle in line with the standard AR sight plane. Absolute co-witness irons will obscure the bottom of the optic’s view.
View Quote
Copypasta?

Not being familiar with the Troy Micros OP had mentioned, I did a quick google search. Second link I happened to click on was from Recoil web. The section on sight heights sounded...familiar. Certainly a very accurate synopsis.

OP - As for BUIS selection, I’d add a vote for Magpul Pros as well. I particularly like the Pro LR. One of the few rear flip-up options that can be adjusted for elevation. And of those in that exclusive club, I really think Magpul does it best. Love that it still retains both apertures.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 8:35:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 5:41:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 9:13:05 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

Roger that. My explanation skills are lacking at times.
View Quote
Understood

For the record, I wasn’t knocking the effort. Just thought it was a cool coincidence.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 9:39:12 PM EDT
Top Top