Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/14/2004 6:39:10 PM EST
This is my first time building an AR... I'm thinking about a bushmaster lower and a J&T kit to finnish it off.. I would like any helpful input that I could gather. Is J&T a good co.. All im really set on is the bushmaster lower..thanks
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:19:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 7:21:49 PM EST by Wingman26]
That will work fine, there are plenty of good lowers out there, Bushy is one of them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:22:33 PM EST
You can find cheaper lowers of same quality than BM. J and T is excellent in quality and price. If you really have your heart set on a BM lower, go for it.
Good Luck and Enjoy
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:34:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 9:35:48 PM EST by A_Free_Man]
I have built 2 with DPMS lowers, which match the uppers of the J&T kits perfectly. Not just a nice precise fit, but even down to the color and texture of the finish, a great match.

The lower receiver parts from J&T are as good as any I have seen.

I have been more than pleased with the J&T kits I have. They are as accurate as any similar AR, and best of all, go bang every time. One upper is relatively new, has a few hundred rounds through it. The other has about 1000 rnds, (3 battle packs and other ammo), and with all that, not one single failure to feed, fire, and eject perfectly. You just can't ask for more.

I think the Bushmaster lower is overpriced, but it is good quality. But so are the lowers from DPMS and Eagle Arms (Armalite), good quality at a more reasonable price.

Yes, J&T is good, or I would not have bought a second kit from them. I will buy from them in the future, too. For both of these kit orders, they were received in about 3 business days.

Ed to add, both kits were A2 uppers, 16" barrels.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:42:48 AM EST
thanks a lot.... i'll look into a different lower
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:30:49 AM EST
Pardon me, first time to join a discussion/forum. I’ve been surfing/reading here a lot lately since the AWBan was coming to a closure. Building or putting together my own weapon from parts sounds great. I think and read a person with some good common mechanical since, that loves to hobby and fiddle or fix things can work up his own custom/personal weapon. I’ve seen what appears to be some very nice weapons posted around/in this forum. Not unlike building one’s own “Harley”, you “get to have it your way” with parts & accessories ya choose. No “take offs” laying around or parts to sell to recoup. And like I said, I’ve seen what appear to be very nice weapons built from parts. However I’ve heard some people give opinions on so called “partz gunz”. They were not flattering comments. Additionally & worse, I was at a gun show and saw this one AR type rifle, a “partz gun” and it looked like hell. The colors/finish was not bad, not perfect, but reasonable. But the thing was so loose, and the curved section at the area where the lower meets the upper was terrible. Huge gap! I understand some home smithing is required, but I don’t think a little work around the pins and an accue wedge thingy would have made me happy . I need opinions on or about getting parts matched. Is this common? Do ya have to buy at the same time and hand match to get a good set? I was thinking about buying a stripped lower, building and fitting parts and using different brand upper. Just looking to for opinions and /or discussion. Sorry to be so long winded, Newbie at the forum……NRA member, Long time shooter. Is this posted in correct place. Hope I’m doing this right.

Addicted to this site!!!

I would also welcome Email at jny5@sbcglobal.net
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:42:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By Jny5:
Pardon me, first time to join a discussion/forum. I’ve been surfing/reading here a lot lately since the AWBan was coming to a closure. Building or putting together my own weapon from parts sounds great. I think and read a person with some good common mechanical since, that loves to hobby and fiddle or fix things can work up his own custom/personal weapon. I’ve seen what appears to be some very nice weapons posted around/in this forum. Not unlike building one’s own “Harley”, you “get to have it your way” with parts & accessories ya choose. No “take offs” laying around or parts to sell to recoup. And like I said, I’ve seen what appear to be very nice weapons built from parts. However I’ve heard some people give opinions on so called “partz gunz”. They were not flattering comments. Additionally & worse, I was at a gun show and saw this one AR type rifle, a “partz gun” and it looked like hell. The colors/finish was not bad, not perfect, but reasonable. But the thing was so loose, and the curved section at the area where the lower meets the upper was terrible. Huge gap! I understand some home smithing is required, but I don’t think a little work around the pins and an accue wedge thingy would have made me happy . I need opinions on or about getting parts matched. Is this common? Do ya have to buy at the same time and hand match to get a good set? I was thinking about buying a stripped lower, building and fitting parts and using different brand upper. Just looking to for opinions and /or discussion. Sorry to be so long winded, Newbie at the forum……NRA member, Long time shooter. Is this posted in correct place. Hope I’m doing this right.

Addicted to this site!!!

I would also welcome Email at jny5@sbcglobal.net

Welcome,

Basically if you buy from the major or medium sized sources of parts, the fit should be fine. In fact fit might be tight, but good. It is the lower end places were the fit might not be so good. Finish might be a bit off, but most are close enough. In terms of derogatory comments about parts guns, that can come in 2 basic forms:

1) resale value- value will not be near as much as a complete gun from a manufacturer
2) look and function- look is your opinion and if it shoots then it shoots - ( you won't get a warantee)

If this is a gun that you are going to use and keep, then in my opinion parts guns have no problems. In fact, as we always say here, it helps you understand how the gun functions better.

Here is a (subjective) of manufacturers and parts houses that have a pretty good reputation here.

Or just go to the equipment exchange and see a lot of good products there. Most if not all the sponsors here have good quality parts to build up a gun (and usually the best prices too).

Bushmaster, RRA, Armalite, Colt, DPMS
Olympic?

J&T, Model 1
M & A?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:48:30 AM EST
My "parts guns" are as nice as anything from the factories. There's parts, and then there's parts.

The J&T parts are top notch. The upper is completely assembled and ready to go. So, it is just a matter of assembling the lower.

If you put tape over the logos, you could stick this rifle up on a rack with Bushmasters and Armalites, and some others, and be hardpressed to tell the difference. No, not hardpressed, you couldn't.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:31:36 PM EST
Thanks for the positive feedback. Guess I’ll give it a shot. I’ve been studying the board just checking out what people think. Loads of good advice & ideas on this board
Thanks again.

P.S. Remember to vote.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:13:43 PM EST
One thing i would recommend is to buy at least one high performance magazine spring. Years ago, I would have perfectly fine parts guns malfunction, even with new magazines. Superior shooting systems seem to work best for me, Brownells has them. Maybe get some green followers too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:59:59 PM EST
My personal "parts gun" consists of a RRA lower, with the RRA lower parts kit, RRA 6 pos M4 stock, and a 16" A2 upper from CMMG with a 1/7 twist chrome lined M4 barrel. It turned out great and shoots great. Not bad for my first M4gery. Of course not my first build but very nice to get what you want for under $800! Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:21:13 AM EST
does J&T offer crome lined barrels....if so does any one have one....what kind of accurcy will i expect from a 16" crome/ crommoly barrel...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:27:09 AM EST
they are offering chrome lined now in several options. I have a chrome/moly from J&T and RRA, and a chrome lined from Bushmaster and RRA. I can't tell any difference in accuracy with any of them. They all shoot better than I do...
Top Top