Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2005 6:14:53 PM EDT
I am looking for a very cheap scope for a .22 rimfire, BSA seems to be the cheapest, how bad are they and what would you sudgest if not BSA?
Thanks in advance
Icon
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I just picked up a Simmons 3x9-40mm model 899654 for $9 at walmart on clearance.  Now I don't know if all walmarts are having them on sale or not but it might be worth checking out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I have actually had mixed luck with BSA,

I have been using their Platinum series scopes  www.bsaoptics.com/productdetail.asp?ID=508&Prod_Code=PT832X44MD

I put the first scope I purchased on my AR (.223 cal) and after about 500 rounds had absolutely no complaints about the scope at all. Zeroed very easily & quickly, image clarity was good, and adjustments were solid & consistent.

That being the case I purchased a second one and put it on my Rem 700 (.308 cal). When I tried to zero that scope it would not zero and I realized the adjustment for windage was not working properly. I was not sure how the BSA service was going to be, but I followed the instructions on their website, and they actually sent me a replacement scope within 2 weeks. I was able to zero that scope with no problem, however the clicks on this scope are no where near as positive as they were on the first. I am debating on also sending this one back, but have not decided yet.

If my experiences with BSA scopes were limited to the first scope that I bought, I would say it was one of the best deals going for a scope. Having had my experiences with the second, and third scopes, I would say you may get a "good scope", and you may not.

Given that I can't afford to put a $800-$1200 scope on every rifle I own, I will probably stick with them for now.

Also FYI, I paid around $100.00 for each one of the scopes that I bought, don't let the $230.00 list price scare you away, you can find them through multiple dealers on the website in the $100 price range.

Hope this helps,
"Capt" Richardson
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 Bushnell Sportsman 4x12x40 AO scopes...one on a 10/22, the other on a .22 magnum bolt gun.  They're around $50 w/ shipping, and for what you pay for one, they're not bad at all.  The AO goes down to 20 yards, very handy to have for a .22.  

I don't know that I'd go any cheaper than that. The one BSA I had was not very good, but that was a 36x.  I might have been expecting way to much at 36x for that kind of money...even the 36x Leupy I have on my light varmint class benchrest gun isn't that great, and it was 10 times the money of the BSA.  There's a guy at my range who has several BSAs and loves them, but they're much lower magnification.  

If you're willing to go $109, you could get a Sightron S1 3x9x40 Mil Dot.  I've got one of those, and the glass quality is great for that kind of money.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had a $50 BSA red-dot on my Daewoo DR200 for several years.  Kind of funny to put such a cheap scope on a rifle like that, but I had it already & didn't have any other optics for the rifle at that time.  It has decent glass, zeroed easily, and hasn't needed adjustment since then.  Granted the rifle is pretty much a safe queen, and the BSA probably hasn't seen more than 200 bench-fired rounds.      

It works well for what it is, but I don't think it could handle serious hard use or weather conditions.  The thing I don't like about it is that the diameter of the unit is much larger than my Comp M3, and it doesn't feel as solid as the M3.  For instance, the adjustment knob on the M3 clicks precisely through the settings, whereas the BSA knob has some play.  

If you want REALLY inexpensive optics that work for a .22, BSA is probably a good bet.  However, I'd recommend spending a little more $ and getting a decent mid-range scope which will last & can be transferred to another rifle if needed.  Over the years I've tried to save money on optics and bought Bushnell, Tasco, Redfield, and Simmons scopes, all of which sucked the worst kind of unwashed hyena butt & never failed to fog up on me.  I finally learned my lesson & ponied up the extra $ for good optics.  The best "relatively inexpensive" scope I've ever owned was a 4x16 Weaver, which I still have & has never let me down from benchrest-shooting to deer hunting in snow, rain, and heavy brush.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top