Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 7:53:35 AM EDT
I just bought a factory Colt upper from an authorized dealer here in the West that is supposed one of the best armorers for Colt wepaons.  To my surprise, the bolt carrier key bolts were NOT staked.   My other Colts are staked in 4 places on the sides (like the TM shows) and other brands are either like that or have the "3 dot per bolt" staking (like the TM shows for field repair).  Anybody know more about this?  I thought that the staking was necessary, but possibly there is a new accepted method for retaining the bolts.  The dealer is not open on the weekend, but I am going to call him on Monday to get his take.  I was just hoping to avoid a "dumb question."

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#1]
The key bolts SHOULD be staked.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#2]
If they are not staked you WILL shoot the key loose and it will malfunction.  I even restake factory carriers because I have shot some loose.  I have shot both Bushmaster and DPMS keys loose.  It is an easy thing to do, but can cause serious malfunctions if you don't.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input.  It is appreciated.  I was almost 100% certain that they should be staked.  I have never seen one that was not staked being used.  The fellow that did the work for me is supposed to be one of the best and just might be for Colt service.  He does seem very knowledgeable, but I did upset him with my battery of questions about certain things ... including NON-COLT parts.  That is why I am trying to arm myself with knowledge before I confront him.  The upper was supposed to have a "reliability package" too, so I don't know if the staking was just forgotten or what during the mods being performed.  I am gonna be thinking about it all the way until Monday, when hopefully I will get a hold of them!!  I am not going to fire the rifle until I speak with him ... which is a bummer because the weather here is finally nice!

Thanks again everyone!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Of course it should be staked. Send it back. Or do it yourself, it's not like it's hard to do.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Make them do it.  You bought a "reliability package" and they left the carrier key unstaked?  If you took your car in for new tires and the shop left the lug nuts untorqued would you just do it yourself?  Take it back, make them do it.  I'd have some choice words for them as well.  Reliability package my ass!  If I paid for that and they left the carrier key unstaked I'd make them stake in AND ask for that portion of the money back.

Edited to add:  I'd also be wondering what else they forgot or skipped over as well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Or you can buy one of Ned Christiansen's staking tool and do it yourself.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey guys thanks for the input!  Yeah .. I am going to get a hold of the dude on Monday and see what is going on.  I will up date the status when I speak with him.  For the moment, I do not wish to slander his name or company with bad press ... but if he doesn't make it right, I will be letting folks know and how.  Especially since he got very upset when I questioned some of his statements about Brand X AR15s.  He actually seems like a very knowledgeable guy and I will give him the chance to make it right.

Where can I view one of Ned Christiansen's tools?  I have one now, but am always looking for something that is better.

Thanks again for taking time to input this thread!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Is your carrier marked on the left side with a "C"?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for Ned's address.

Yeah ... the carrier has the COLT "C" where it should be.  My guess is that the dude did his key mod and forgot to stake it.  It DOES have me wondering what else he may have forgotten!  Again, I am going to contact this dude Monday (if he's in town and not "teaching") and see what he says.  He states that he is mostly a LE/military armorer so he should not have forgotten this in my eyes.  What if I was needing it for duty??  Again, I will give him the chance to make it right!

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I know the both the company and man of which you speak.  As a matter fact I recently attended a Colt Armorer course (east coast) taught by him.  He is a Colt man through and through (like many here).

While I don't agree with some of his thoughts, he is an excellent armorer and knows his stuff when it comes to Colt Ar-15/M-16.  

If this company/armorer built your bolt carrier assembly, then it is very likely the key and the mating carrier surface has been "worked" to provide a near perfect surface to surface fit.  The key and the bolts are then attached to the carrier using red lok-tight.  If it has been built this way, you will not shoot the key loose.  As a matter of fact, if you ever need to replace the key due to wear I suggest you send it back to the company because you will damage your assembly trying to remove it yourself.

If you can't live with an unstaked key, then send it back.  You may here some fussing from the man ("you don't need it staked"), but in the end I bet he stands behind his work.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks CQB27 ... Please check the IM I sent ya.

I would like to inform everyone that CQB27 is CORRECT in his statement about where I purchased my parts.  I too do not agree with everything this man states, but near all of his info has been correct for Colt weapons so far.  He is definitely ALL COLT.  I would like to thank everyone for taking time to input.  I was refered to this company by a SWAT commander friend of mine who also took the Armorer Course.

Thanks again everyone!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top