BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/12/2008 11:09:24 AM EDT
What is the best M4 16" budget kit??

I've looked at some Del-Ton, FFE and others...but which would be the best for a budget build?
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
model 1 sales or garrison maybe?
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got a Garrison 16" chrome lined kit, not the M4 barrel but I have to say it's definitely good to go. Function is 100% with Wolf too.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I may have worded what I said a little wierd.

What I am wanting to know is, which kit is the best bang for the buck, but still being a budget kit?
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#4]
If Fire for Effect still has the CMMG bargain bin blem kits for $500 with the free caveman add on, that is by far the best bang for the buck out there.

Edited to add... Looks like they only have the chrome lined ones now which are $569 shipped, so about $549 for kit cost.  Still a good deal for having a carry handle, mag, sling, etc.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think I may have worded what I said a little wierd.

What I am wanting to know is, which kit is the best bang for the buck, but still being a budget kit?

Well the FFE kit is the most user friendly to go kit of the bunch because you get the carry handle sight that most charge around $70.00 more for

You also get a sling and 1 30 Rd-magazine as well as the rest of the LPC and stock also on there M4 kit's there doubled round heat shields hand grips instead of just the regular Car hand grips that some come with.

From what I have seen of there products it's a good deal witch ever one you get be it chrome lined or the new WASP coated Bbl some even come with a M16 bolt carrier as well at lest the one's I seen have.

They also have the correct M4 extensions /receiver cuts that most company's kit's charge extra for and that's only if they offer them at all,

While some are just being cut into barrel extension and receiver metal taking away the surface hardening protection.

To me there just not as durable because they cut the anodizing away but they do work as long as there done right.

Add up the cost of the basic kit's with the same types of parts that your looking for first off, and next look up some pictures online here of others builds then go for the one that gives you " the best bang for your buck " .

Then you can feel good about what your doing all the way around.

Best,

yls  @;-)
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
does anyone know about how long it would take for me to get one of the FFE kits to my door?
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#7]
depends on how far from Fayette, MO 65248 you are and how much sales tax would be added to the price being a Mo resident.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#8]
damn, didnt realize they were in MO...that kinda sucks for me cause i'll have to pay sales tax if i buy from them....which might put me over my limit...
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
My next suggestion would have been the $450 kit from JSE, but they are Mo as well.

Garrison's kit would be a good choice but I believe they are out of M4's currently and time seems to be an issue.

Blackthorne is the cheapest that shows stock @ $399.00 in A2 or Flat (Yes I believe you can get a quality build from these kits it just might take some tweaking)  -CLICK HERE-

Del-ton shows top have M4 kits for $485 and is in NC. -CLICK HERE-

You could go with the $509.99 16DS4CAR Kit from J&T then, they're in KY.

Model 1 appeared to be out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]
im thinking ill be going with the Del-Ton kit since it is fully assembled, i didnt see anything on the J&T for that
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
im thinking ill be going with the Del-Ton kit since it is fully assembled, i didnt see anything on the J&T for that

Unless they've change sumtin recently the J&T uppers are assembled.

Also I don't know what your sales tax % is.  If it's less that 10% the JSE kit could still be a good deal and get to you fast (But I'd talk to them first to confirm it's in stock)
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#12]
You may actually come out better paying the sales tax and picking it up yourself rather than delivery fee? Check with the places and see.
State tax is only around 4.5-6 %- roughly $20- worth a try.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
You may actually come out better paying the sales tax and picking it up yourself rather than delivery fee? Check with the places and see.

you're probably right, cause if i would purchase the FFE kit it comes with the lower parts kit too, and all ill need is the stripped lower

the prices on their site also include shipping prices, which i guess is pretty nice

but if i do decide on the FFE kit, im still wondering if i should get the kit that is $549 or the one that is  $569 (bargain bin)

the bargain bin has a chrome lined barrel, but the last bargain bin item they had there said there was a color difference on the parts....the description they have for this item doesnt say anything is wrong with the color or anything else

*shrugs*
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#14]
del-ton
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Your right.  The bargain bin kits FFE had up last week were not chrome lined and they did say they may have color variations.  I think I'm gonna grab one of the chrome lined kits.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 6:03:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if i would purchase the FFE kit it comes with the lower parts kit too, and all ill need is the stripped lower

the prices on their site also include shipping prices, which i guess is pretty nice

but if i do decide on the FFE kit, im still wondering if i should get the kit that is $549 or the one that is  $569 (bargain bin)

the bargain bin has a chrome lined barrel, but the last bargain bin item they had there said there was a color difference on the parts....the description they have for this item doesnt say anything is wrong with the color or anything else

*shrugs*

Are you looking for a "pretty" bargain ? Mismatched colors do not make it shoot any better. May be the way to go if you are planning any type of potential rough use or custom paint job.
Maybe I missed the intended purpose of the AR - varmints,targets,HD,SHTF ,plinker ...what it be? I'd go for the chrome lined barrel myself.  
The lpk is a $50-70 value(probably $50 as I'm almost positive it is a DPMS lpk) and if they would knock off $15 for customer pick-up, the tax is inconsequential.
FFE is the gun range just across the parking lot from CMMG . CMMG isn't taking "walk-in" business at the moment but if you could go to FFE at least you could *see* what you are buying.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#17]
its not that im looking for a "pretty" bargain, im just kind of curious as to why the bargain kit they have up now doesnt state anything wrong with coloring or whatever else

the main use of the rifle will be target shooting and maybe some hunting, but mostly targets
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

J&T has fully assembled and headspaced uppers with their kits, they have an extremely good reputation and sell top shelf kits. i have used them for years now, always have had excellent fit and finish, great triggers(not gritty) and very accurate also
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#19]
This might be of some help.  Note: I did not compile this info, I just right clicked and "Save Link As" from another thread a while back.  

ETA: Del-Ton uses Wilson Barrels and Model-1 uses E.R. Shaw Barrels.  Quality, either way.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Well I ended up going with the FFE bargain bin kit

height=8

Limited time over run of CHROME LINED M4's. 556 NATO 1/9 16" parkerized upper is fully assembled, head spaced, and test fired. Complete parts kit less striped lower receiver includes: detachable carry handle, lower parts kit, 4 position adjustable stock, sling, and 30 Rd. USGI mag

I was going to get a kit from J&T for about the same price, but with a few more options minus the chrome barrel, but I figured I would go ahead and do it with these guys since they are local, that way if any problems should arise, I won't have to ship anything back to them, I can easily drive to their shop.

If it ships out today or tomorrow I'm expecting it to arrive no later than Friday
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I just bought an FFE bargain bin kit as well.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#22]
height=8
Quoted:
I just bought an FFE bargain bin kit as well.i bet i get mine first :)
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#23]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
I just bought an FFE bargain bin kit as well.he
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#24]
sorry double post
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#25]
don't kid yourself, you'll build another regardless of the outcome :)

im already looking for a receiver...found a shop locally through gunbroker...so hopefully that will pan out....I may even end up picking that up tomorrow...somehow they got a hold of some Spikes Tactical lowers
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#26]
height=8
Quoted:
don't kid yourself, you'll build another regardless of the outcome :)

im already looking for a receiver...found a shop locally through gunbroker...so hopefully that will pan out....I may even end up picking that up tomorrow...somehow they got a hold of some Spikes Tactical lowers

I'm sure I will build another one, lol.  I'm going for a CMMG lower, I found them here locally for $109
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
del-ton
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#28]

AR15-kits.com is another place not on the list but they do have the kits and the uppers are assembled.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#29]
wow...is all i can really say...

purchased my FFE bargain bin kit yesterday afternoon around 2:30...it shipped today (just got notification) and ill probably receive it tomorrow since they are only about an hour away

im stoked...
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Yep, I placed my order last night around 8pm.  I received a tracking number today from UPS.  Scheduled to be delivered on Friday.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Get a Garrison.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey guys I am thinking of building my first AR on a budget and I'm looking at FFE right now. I'm looking at the Bargain Bin M4 chrome lined... did we ever find out if the colors match on the kits?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#33]
yes they do, already got my kit in hand...got it 2 days after i ordered
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#34]
 I am very pleased with my kit.  The colors of the complete upper match.  The kits description says it comes with a chrome lined 1/9 barrel.  Mine is stamped as a chome lined 1/7 barrel.  I plan on trying to get to Military Gun Supply here locally tomorrow to get my CMMG lower.  I will report back after the build is complete.  Oh yea, I placed the order on Monday night and received the kit at noon on Thursday.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Awesome guys thanks for the replies. I plan on ordering this real soon then.

Two more quick (dumb) questions...

Did the leave the shipment at the door, or require a signature?

So this is a flat top upper, so I could use the detachable carry handle as a rear sight right now, or remove it and put optics on it later on?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#36]
height=8
Quoted:
Awesome guys thanks for the replies. I plan on ordering this real soon then.

Two more quick (dumb) questions...

Did the leave the shipment at the door, or require a signature?

So this is a flat top upper, so I could use the detachable carry handle as a rear sight right now, or remove it and put optics on it later on?

I live in an apartment and was not home when the item was delivered, they left it at my apartment office and someone did have to sign for it.  Yes you can use the carry handle as a rear sight or remove it for optics.  Order the kit..you'll be pleased
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#37]
it might be that you lived in an apartment that you had to sign, it kind of covers them for theft of the item.....mine was left on my door step no signature required...

mine was also engraved as 1/7 twist, not sure if they put a typo on the page or what....i wont complain and yes you can use the carry handle as a BUIS and add optics later if you wish

here is my rifle...its being held together by my lower that i already had, im still waiting on my MEGA lower to arrive hopefully next week sometime...

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#39]
FFE kit. Ordered on Monday?, received on Friday. Missing the sling, have to contact FFE.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
damn, didnt realize they were in MO...that kinda sucks for me cause i'll have to pay sales tax if i buy from them....which might put me over my limit...

If you live near the border and/or visit out of state frequently, you could have an out of state friend buy the kit for you...

Just an idea...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#42]
I think I'm going to end up going with the Del-Ton kit I've priced out a dozen times now. Mid-length 16" flat-top with M4 stock, M4 feed ramps and a chrome-lined barrel.

Unless I find a better deal elsewhere... Being in college doesn't go hand-in-hand with having tons of money to blow whenever I feel like it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Ordered my FFE kit yesterday, I'm really excited. I live in IL so the kit should ship fairly quick to me.

I'm bit nervous about the assembly I have to do, but I'm gonna study up on the handy instruction thread and hopefully I'll be alright. Since the upper is already fully assembled all I need to look at are the instructions for assembling a lower from a parts kit, correct?

I still need to order the stripped lower. Right now I'm just poking around Gunbroker... anything special I should know, or am I pretty much fine with any stripped lower?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#44]
height=8
Quoted:
Ordered my FFE kit yesterday, I'm really excited. I live in IL so the kit should ship fairly quick to me.

I'm bit nervous about the assembly I have to do, but I'm gonna study up on the handy instruction thread and hopefully I'll be alright. Since the upper is already fully assembled all I need to look at are the instructions for assembling a lower from a parts kit, correct?

I still need to order the stripped lower. Right now I'm just poking around Gunbroker... anything special I should know, or am I pretty much fine with any stripped lower?

You should be fine with any lower.  I got my CMMG lower locally for $109 + tax from Military Gun Supply.  The lower and upper match perfect.  This was my first lower to assemble.  Everyhting went fine following the thread here on this forum.  I was very cautious to not scratch my lower.  The roll pins were a very tight fit, I used vise grips and then a roll pin punch to get them flush.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Look through the EE here, you'll likely find a better deal on a lower.

If you aren't worried about exactly what name is on the side you can get one for $100 or less.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#46]
just a side note...

the FFE kit that sparky and I ordered has the M4 ramps as well
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#47]
height=8
Quoted:
Look through the EE here, you'll likely find a better deal on a lower.

If you aren't worried about exactly what name is on the side you can get one for $100 or less.

Then you pay shipping and FFL fees
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#48]
height=8
Quoted:

If you are close to Shelbyville, IL Max Gun and Coin can get Superior Arms Lowers with the adjustable trigger screw for $100. I just bought two from him and pick them up Monday.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Floridahunter, where in FL are you in School? Just curious as I'm near Gville.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
What is the best M4 16" budget kit??

I've looked at some Del-Ton, FFE and others...but which would be the best for a budget build?

My Del Ton kit was very nice. Their customer service is top notch as well
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top