Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 1/13/2006 11:55:17 AM EDT
I was wondering what you guys think the best weapon is for HOME DEFENSE?

handgun,shotgun,ar,etc...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#1]
12 gauge with 00 buck

ETA out of a Remington 1187
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#3]
any of thoes are good , ar15 is probably the best but I use a glock21 any ways because its good enough
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#4]
AR-15, of course.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#5]
ak chambered in .17 HMR...  accept no substitutes...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Shotgun.  

That way you minimize the risk of shooting through a wall at your loved one.

Personally, I use a bolt action .308 savage with a 26" heavy barrel and 40 power optic.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#7]
AGNTSA!

(steps out of the wave of shotgun TARDS flocking to this thread!)
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Shotgun.  

Oh God, make it stop.  

The correct answer is short-barreled AR.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#10]
A series of diabolical traps so complex that even you forget where each of them are.

Or a standard home defense style shotgun with 00 if you're not into the trap thing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Shotgun.  

Do you have any idea at all how completely and utterly full of shit that statement is?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#12]
The weapon I grab first!

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Doberman
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#14]
http://www.theboxotruth.com/

go here for some information about wall penetration with various weapons...  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Beat me too it!  My 2 rotts are first in line.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/tiger85/Levi001.jpg
If they get past him, Come and get some
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Shotgun!!!!

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I was wondering what you guys think the best weapon is for HOME DEFENSE?

handgun,shotgun,ar,etc...

A piece of poop on the end of a stick!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#18]
The best home defense weapon is to not own a home....then there's nothing to defend!

Done.  Next topic!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shotgun.  

Oh God, make it stop.  

The correct answer is short-barreled AR.

I have a nice shotgun with a recoil compensating stock but I would prefer what DK says.

I am stuck with a 16" for now but in time I hope to have a short upper.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#20]
+1 for 12 guage with 00 buck
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#21]
A shotgun is best hands down.  You can't beat it for close quarters contact which is why many MIL/LEO special ops teams use them as entry guns.  I don't care if you are a Navy SEAL Delta Jedi, when woken up at 3 AM, you are not on your A-game and your senses take a bit of time to adjust.  A good scattergun lets you point at center mass and shoot.  Use some Federal 00 Tactical and you are good to go.  In fact, many LEO will tell you that the sound of a pump gun being racked is generally enough to scare off most would-be invaders.  Also, any home defense gun should have a white light.  This is a must!  No questions about it.  You cannot take the chance that the bump in the night is really your kid coming home from their boy/girlfriend's house, or your wife getting a midnight snack.  Even if it is an intruder, you must be able to 100% identify the threat and that they have a weapon if you are going to be able to legally shoot them in most states.  I know that a lot of the hardchargers here will say: "if they're in my house, they're dead."  This is all well and good except for the fact that they are still going to get charged with a homicide (even if it was justified) and they are still going to have to stand trial to determine if what they did was justified.  If you end up blasting some punk teenager who broke a window and came in and was unarmed, chances are you will end up in jail for murder 1.  Bottom line:  my HD weapon is a Remington 870P MAX and a phone to call the Police.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
A shotgun is best hands down.  You can't beat it for close quarters contact which is why many MIL/LEO special ops teams use them as entry guns.  I don't care if you are a Navy SEAL Delta Jedi, when woken up at 3 AM, you are not on your A-game and your senses take a bit of time to adjust.  A good scattergun lets you point at center mass and shoot.  Use some Federal 00 Tactical and you are good to go.  In fact, many LEO will tell you that the sound of a pump gun being racked is generally enough to scare off most would-be invaders.  Also, any home defense gun should have a white light.  This is a must!  No questions about it.  You cannot take the chance that the bump in the night is really your kid coming home from their boy/girlfriend's house, or your wife getting a midnight snack.  Even if it is an intruder, you must be able to 100% identify the threat and that they have a weapon if you are going to be able to legally shoot them in most states.  I know that a lot of the hardchargers here will say: "if they're in my house, they're dead."  This is all well and good except for the fact that they are still going to get charged with a homicide (even if it was justified) and they are still going to have to stand trial to determine if what they did was justified.  If you end up blasting some punk teenager who broke a window and came in and was unarmed, chances are you will end up in jail for murder 1.  Bottom line:  my HD weapon is a Remington 870P MAX and a phone to call the Police.

Not again.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Read this site for some interesting clues Box O Truth authored by Arfcom's very own OldPainless.

For me the answer is "all three".  I keep an AR, a .45, and a 12 guage all loaded and within reach of where I sleep.  The shotgun and the AR have lights on them, and the .45 has night sights.  If I have time to turn on the Aimpoint and Surefire on the AR, that is my first choice.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I do hate these threads but I also sometimes enjoy them so I can see how much little thought some people give home defense and also to hear the best HD weapon myths that are so ridiculous that it's almost funny.  No matter how many people, how many times or how well we explain that the best firearm is a 5.56 AR carbine/SBR there are always a few that refuse to beleive it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I do hate these threads but I also sometimes enjoy them so I can see how much little thought some people give home defense and also to hear the best HD weapon myths that are so ridiculous that it's almost funny.  No matter how many people, how many times or how well we explain that the best firearm is a 5.56 AR carbine/SBR there are always a few that refuse to beleive it.

BOW AND ARROW!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the pistol/12 gauge shorty +strategically placed handguns
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Wrong Answers
Shotgun = Too long, too much kick, not good if you need shot a hostage taker
Rifle = Too long
Handgun = Too little power, Hard to aim past a few yards
Knife = Ha ha ha
Fists/Feet = Only if you're Chuck Norris.
Dog = Too unreliable.  An ex-boyfriend broke into a friend's home. Since the dogs knew him they did nothing.  Lucky for her she was not home.

The winner is:
Short Barreled Rifle= Short, hard hitting, accurate at any range.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Of course, you know the real answer is...

all of them!

but shoot them with airsoft first to make it hurt
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

ARFCOM CREDIBILITY ------->  WINDOW  -------->  OUT
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#31]
870 (or 1100) 20 Ga. Youth model w/#3 buck.  Small, light weight, light(er) recoil, female friendly, doesn't look like a killing machine (to the jury after the fact), and has plenty of punch at close range while minimizing overpenatration.  Plus at ~$350 your not out the 2K that a full house AR costs when the cops take the weapon for evidence.  

Also, reduced noise / blast.  My 16" AR is loud enough outside.  I wouldn't like to fire a SBR inside a house after just waking up.

Someone in a rural environment should have a rifle at the ready for possible use outside the house (longer ranges).  But most rural areas are a lot more gun friendly than big cities.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#32]
here we go......  
 rifle will penetrate ANYTHING execpt a brick wall, and it will only stop at a brick wall if it hit a bunch of interior walls first.  see box of truth "rifles" page about that.
Pistols- 9mm/40/45  all are capable of overpenetration. see box of truth "pistols" about that.
shotgun-  will penetrate a lot farther than most think, regardless of load.
if you are interested in stopping the bad guy, the shotgun rules, best transfer of energy into the bad guy. least chance of overpenetration, avoiding holes in people in other bedrooms, outside walkin' down the street, other houses nearby......  you get my drift.
 If you don't care about anything but stopping the bad guy, AK-47 w/16" bbl & folding stock, 30rd mag. compact & powerful.  Or a CAR-15.
 And I gotta agree about the white light on the weapon. bright light to flash on the bad guy's face & stun before dispatching with a few rounds from the 'ol AK/AR/Shotgun....   is a great idea.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
A shotgun is best hands down.  You can't beat it for close quarters contact which is why many MIL/LEO special ops teams use them as entry guns.  I don't care if you are a Navy SEAL Delta Jedi, when woken up at 3 AM, you are not on your A-game and your senses take a bit of time to adjust.  A good scattergun lets you point at center mass and shoot.  Use some Federal 00 Tactical and you are good to go.  In fact, many LEO will tell you that the sound of a pump gun being racked is generally enough to scare off most would-be invaders.  

Please tell me that this post is intended as a joke.  

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
No matter how many people, how many times or how well we explain that the best firearm is a 5.56 AR carbine/SBR there are always a few that refuse to beleive it.

That almost sounds like something from the Religion Forum
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#35]
An angry badger.  Covered in cinnamon oil.

G
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No matter how many people, how many times or how well we explain that the best firearm is a 5.56 AR carbine/SBR there are always a few that refuse to beleive it.

That almost sounds like something from the Religion Forum

Our Blessed Lady of the Legacy of Eugene Stoner  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#37]
How in the hell does this happen?  We discuss and discuss and review and review, and still people dont get it.  If it is powerful enough to stop a bad guy, it has the power to go through a wall.  Your shotgun has the potential to go through a wall.  Your handgun, be it 9mm or .45, has the ability to go through a wall.  And last the great AR15 has the power to shoot through a wall.

Maybe we should tack one of these threads, in case anybody forgets.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#38]
a can of spam in a smelly sock, swinging wildly  for the intruders head.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#39]
1 Girlfriends cooking
2 mosberg 500 pistol grip pistod front stock  with 00 buck

woowooo good times good times

Hanna
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#40]
contact explosive laid down at night while you sleep.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#41]
A big healthy yellow sinus booger.  Nobody wants to get hit with one of those.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Yes I agree!  Shotguns are the best choice without question, especially since they require reloading (which can take up to 15 seconds or more) after four-six shots!  Don't worry about getting killed while reloading, the bad guy will be cowering in fear because of the pumping sound!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Ninja sword!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#44]
the weapon you are comfortable and good with. shotgun will not do much good if you can't use it correctly. same with any other weapon. you also have to think about how easy it is for you to handle a weapon in hallways and such. some people can't use a shotgun or rifle very well in hallways and doorways. Others have problems handling a handgun (weak hands & wrists).

just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Doberman

or two

http://img307.imageshack.us/img307/3905/m4dogs8tz.jpg

There is no question in my mind that the most important thing that you can have in your house for home defense is a lite sleeping big-azz dog (or two).  There is no way anyone can break into my house in the middle of the night without waking up my dogs.  If the dogs don't scare them off, then there is a problem.  The intruder(s) are either insane or they are coming for ME and not my stuff.

The dogs might get dead in short order, but I will be awake and armed.  At this point, the choice of firearm is secondary.  For me, the first choice would be my P226.  Only because I am comfortable with it and have learned to point shoot fairly well.  When I get more used to my AR, that might change.  IMHO, the military and SWAT guys train clearing houses with SBRs for a reason and it ain't because it's not fair for the bad guys if they use handguns and shotguns instead.

Of course, the key is not to make enemies of folks that are willing to take on two dobermans just to kill little 'ole me.  And not to attract psychotic killers.

Zombies are a different story.  They are completely unpredictable.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#46]
William Shatner's Greatest Hits.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey...... Mister......  TambourineManPlayASong.......   For Meeeeeeeeeee...  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Go airsoft, for a kinder more gentle home defense.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#50]

Hey...... Mister......  TambourineManPlayASong.......   For Meeeeeeeeeee...   hr

So you're familiar with the CD, huh?  That's ok, we'll just pass this one off as a youthful indiscretion.  You were probably young and misguided.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top