Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2008 8:42:58 AM EDT
I want the best lower I can buy.  Did magpul end up making their billet lower?  Please help me out thanks guys.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I think Mega has a pretty good rep for excellent lowers.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#2]
POF and Sun Devil are good billlet lowers. Haven't heard anything about the magpul's.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#3]
The Sun Devil lowers are probably the ugliest out there.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I want the cleanest most in spec lower I can buy.  The pics I saw of the magpul lower were serial number 1 lol so I don't think I'll get one of those.  Any others?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a gen2 POF and a Sun Devil. Both are nice and don't regret either yet, i haven't built either because i'm doing a AR10 right now . I like the POF finish better but also like the receiver takeup setscrew on the SD. You will be happy with either. SD is cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#6]
The closest you're gonna find to the Magpul is the SMOS but you can't get one directly from them. You can buy one from LaRue when they come out in two weeks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#7]
By far the BEST billet lower I have ever seen is by RND Manufacturing. The downside? You cant purchase it separately, you have to purchase the complete rifle. RND Manufacturing made the upper and lower receivers for JP Enterprises on their Grade III rifle.

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The closest you're gonna find to the Magpul is the SMOS but you can't get one directly from them. You can buy one from LaRue when they come out in two weeks.

Ah yes I have seen those they are around $305.00 stripped.  Do you have personal exp. with that lower?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#9]
No personal experience, but cosmetically they look pretty close to the Magpul. I've only built Sun Devils, and though they may be ugly all of the lower parts fit perfectly. I may buy a LaRue if they make any marked multi-caliber.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Double tap, but I'll use the post anyway. Check these guys out, I haven't seen one but they look pretty nice. Also, they come with a set screw like Sun Devil's to eliminate a sloppy upper/lower fit.

Tactical Innovations
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Check this one.
http://www.tacticalinc.com/t15bdx-billet-deluxe-billet-machined-ar15-lower-receiver-p-1082.html

ETA: looks like ftwm beat me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the SMOS they have a reinforced the front take down pi, nad a few other small details that I like.  So where can I get one?  Also the only picture I found on the SMOS website was of one with some artistic looking magwell, that is not what I want I want the normal style.  Thanks for all of the input.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#13]
You can't get one from SMOS. They are now making lowers for LaRue, you can get one in two weeks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You can't get one from SMOS. They are now making lowers for LaRue, you can get one in two weeks.

Did I read a while back that the only people who could get the lowers were people who bought his uppers??

I thought I remember something about needing the coupon that came with the upper to get one.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know about that, I called them Monday about an Aimpoint mount and the guy I talked to didn't mention that. I asked him when I can get a lower and he said they'll be available in two weeks. That's gonna suck if they only sell them to people who bought their uppers.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Double tap, but I'll use the post anyway. Check these guys out, I haven't seen one but they look pretty nice. Also, they come with a set screw like Sun Devil's to eliminate a sloppy upper/lower fit.

Tactical Innovations

That tactical innovations don't look bad, I would buy one and try it..  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I want the best lower I can buy.    

Trying to impress the boys at the range?

+1 for the Mega  - but don't tell anyone else because I want them to always be in stock.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I must admit to ignorance on this subject so don't flame me . I have 1 billet lower an Arizona Armory made by Sundevil  and it looks and preforms excellent. I found out after I bought it that it was not made from the best grade of alloy. so now I'm ready to do another build and was wondering if I should step up and get the better grade and pay more ? all my forged AR's are (7075 T6) I think and the Billet is 60 something or other . is in in fact Important enough to spend another $50.00 to get a brand that uses the better alloy  ? I sure like the way the billet's look . I was thinking of getting a POF.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Do yourself a favor and buy three forged lowers instead.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#20]
the Arizona Armory billet lower cost me $135.00,and a forged lower would cost $100.00,so I figured it was worth the $35.00 for the looks and Kool factor. I never expected it to preform better.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

THATS what I have been waiting for! Sweet!

Quoted:

Tactical Innovations

That looks great as well.....hmmmm.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
the, the LaRue lowers are coming out in 2 weeks? as in the actual Larue, not just the plain SMOS?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

yep
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Best is a relative term.  As others have pointed out, a billet won't hold your FCG or receiver extension any better, nor will it work wonders with your magazines.  However, since looks are subjective, I'll comment that I think this one is the best.

stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_6595%201028%20Stick.jpg

I'd hit that (can't believe I said that )
But where and when can we get one?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Best is a relative term.  As others have pointed out, a billet won't hold your FCG or receiver extension any better, nor will it work wonders with your magazines.  However, since looks are subjective, I'll comment that I think this one is the best.

stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_6595%201028%20Stick.jpg[/

Ahh...come on Stick. Everybody thinks that one looks best. But since Magpul made the "friends and family" run, they are no more. Much to the disappointment of a lot of people.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who said two weeks?

Looks like I've got some work to do...

Will the lowers be for sale by themselves or are they reserved for people who buy Larue uppers?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I didn't catch their name, I called on Monday and whoever answered the phone told me that. I originally called about a mount for my optic, and when I asked about the lowers whoever it was laughed because of all the calls you've been getting about them. Hopefully you can narrow it down and find out who it was and give them a good spanking if this was false info.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#31]

I have a lot of lowers and I'd hardly call the Sun Devil ugly. In fact I consider it one of the better looking lowers I have.

Funny how people tell you a billet lower is no better than a forged one because all it does is hold the FCG parts, but then they tell you a Sun Devil is inferior because it's not made from 7075 T6. What they don't mention is that virtually every free float rail is made from the same alloy as a Sun Devil lower and how many Troy, DD or LaRue rails have you seen broken? I'd argue that a free float rail sees much more hard use than a lower receiver, and is thinner to boot.

Sun Devil is fine, as is POF, Mega, CMMG, RR and a dozen or more other lowers out there. We should be happy with all the excellent choices we have.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:08:40 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_6595%201028%20Stick.jpg

While we agree....we were left out in the cold. Turkey. LOL
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:18:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#36]
height=8
Quoted:

Tactical Innovations

Thanks for  the link! I picked up one of these recently at a gun show for $125. They had two types of stripped lowers and I wanted the one without Tigger on it (ok, I know it is suppose to be a panther, but it looked just a bit too cute). The TI seems well made and the upper I bought fit it tight enough that I have not bothered trying to tighten up the little tightening device.

Mutton-Labe!

Democracy- Two wolves and a Lamb voting on what to eat.
Liberty- one heavily armed Lamb contesting the vote. (Baaaaaa!)
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tactical Innovations

Thanks for  the link! I picked up one of these recently at a gun show for $125. They had two types of stripped lowers and I wanted the one without Tigger on it (ok, I know it is suppose to be a panther, but it looked just a bit too cute). The TI seems well made and the upper I bought fit it tight enough that I have not bothered trying to tighten up the little tightening device.

Mutton-Labe!

Pics or it didn't happen. Seriously though, if you have time I'd like to see a good photo of the lower with the upper installed. That's a screamin' deal for a 7075 lower.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tactical Innovations

Mutton-Labe!

Pics or it didn't happen. Seriously though, if you have time I'd like to see a good photo of the lower with the upper installed. That's a screamin' deal for a 7075 lower.

Thats sounds like one of their forged lowers, not the billet.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#39]
You're right, I didn't even know they made a forged lower. I only saw the billet receiver when I looked at their website. I like that billet receiver except for that funky looking integral trigger guard, other than that it's a nice looking piece.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who said two weeks?

Looks like I've got some work to do...

Will the lowers be for sale by themselves or are they reserved for people who buy Larue uppers?

i think at first,people who bought a stealth upper will basicly be first in line.
on a side note,these guys/gals have some SMOS lowers
www.anchorarmament.com/
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:17:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Here is an Arizona Armory lower, made by the guys at Sun Devil.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a355/jseif13/AA-Lower.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top