Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/14/2017 9:57:09 PM EDT
Are you paying alot of money when you get a bcm rifle because of the name (like colt) or quality? What I've been told is that bcm doesn't make their own parts like colt and they get their barrels from FN. Idk about where they get their bcgs and receivers from. I was always told ABC always buy colt since its the standard now but others have said to go Daniel, lmt or BCM. If anything I'll go bcm since its in my price range.https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-Carbine-AR15-Bravo-Company-s/141.htm
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You are paying for quality parts, testing, reliability, professional armorers, and the name. When you buy the name you are paying for a rifle that will run, that will go to war if need be. Sure it's a range toy for most of us but if needed it will defend your life and your family for many years.
You can buy cheap ARs but I suggest you buy atleast one because of the name.

Also you would be surprised at how many parts BCM manufactures.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I say for one, go with whatever you're comfortable with.

I didn't buy a complete BCM, but I did get a barrel, upper, and bolt group from them. I don't have any complaints but then again, I don't have any complaints about my super low end AR stoner barrel either. If there are any accuracy or reliability issue, I think it's too small for me to measure.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are paying for quality parts, testing, reliability, professional armorers, and the name. When you buy the name you are paying for a rifle that will run, that will go to war if need be. Sure it's a range toy for most of us but if needed it will defend your life and your family for many years.

View Quote
So it's the same reason for getting a colt as well? Is the quality up there with bcm? Which parts do they manufacture?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Dis gone B gud!!  OP I buy BCM/Spikes because they manufacture a flawless product and if by chance you get a lemon have some of the best CS in the Industry!!  Same reason I buy only Centurion Arms and Geissele Rails.  Your not just buying a quality/nicely machined/assembled rifle/part but your buying customer service..
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Didn't you already start a thread on this subject that's now 5 pages?  What do you think is going to come up in this thread that didn't come up in that one?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#6]
"Filthy 14".

I don't care who/where BCM gets their parts from.

IMO, BCM represents the highest quality/$ ratio out there.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I own nothing BCM, don't like that their rails are only keymod (yes I know they are coming out with mlok), don't like their charging handles, and I'm not on the fan boy bandwagon. That being said I would have no issue trusting my life with one of their rifles, and when their Mlok rail comes out I'll give them a look.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"Filthy 14".

I don't care who/where BCM gets their parts from.

IMO, BCM represents the highest quality/$ ratio out there.
View Quote
This BCM holds who ever makes their parts to a standard.

I have never had a crappy BCM product, and they just flat out work.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Didn't you already start a thread on this subject that's now 5 pages?  What do you think is going to come up in this thread that didn't come up in that one?
View Quote
I'm just asking why people pay for bcm. It's a new company to me since colt is the only thing I know due to the military. I'm just going to get away from the arguments and look at other companies
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I own nothing BCM, don't like that their rails are only keymod (yes I know they are coming out with mlok), don't like their charging handles, and I'm not on the fan boy bandwagon. That being said I would have no issue trusting my life with one of their rifles, and when their Mlok rail comes out I'll give them a look.
View Quote
That's news to me. I don't like keymod either. Looking forward to their mlok
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm just asking why people pay for bcm. It's a new company to me since colt is the only thing I know due to the military. I'm just going to get away from the arguments and look at other companies
View Quote
the military doesn't necessarily get/use the best equipment.
Do your research and understand why certain parts and procedures are important.
FN also makes guns for the military, and sell commercially. Knights Armament makes ARs too.
LMT is one of the only companies to make every single part in house. Even Colt doesn't. But that does  not a quality rifle make.
BCM makes good stuff, so does Daniel Defense and probably a half dozen other companies.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#12]
With colt, Daniel defense, and bcm I am paying for a reputation.  None of these companies are known to cut corners.  I don't care who supplies bcm parts as long as they continue to hold them to a high standard.  People obsess about "the chart" which only covered very little aspects of what makes something milspec or quality.  We get a million questions a week if a bolt carrier is staked right but nobody thinks to ask if a extractor is shot peened.  I an no metallurgist or material scientist.  I want to be able to trust a company to put out milspec or better parts.  Those 3 have earned my trust along with lots of other companies.  Now I can obsess about my training instead of my gear.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Bcm makes very high quality rifles. Colt did make high quality stuff but you seem to here more complaints about their recent stuff. I am not a fan boy of either. To me, most big manufacturers seem to make quality rifles. My first AR was a S&W magpul edition followed by a psa premium. Both are great. After thinking about everything I would want to change about my purchased complete rifles, I just came to the conclusion I preferred to build what I wanted and all of my other rifles I own I built with quality parts. My home assembled AR's, I would put up against any manufacturer built AR. Everyone has their own preference. If I couldn't build, a BCM would be towards the top of my list (Especially in a 12.5" KMR sbr), I just don't feel the need to have to buy a complete rifle when I can build it exactly how I want.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#14]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_138/272231_.html

I didn’t get a chance to read this entire thread but here is some info.

Assemblers? Oh how I wish. Life would be so much easier than the up at 12 hour days required to run the operation. It reminds me of the guys that think parts are just parts, as if there is not difference in specs, process, or quality. Boy, I wish that was true to. This job could be a cake walk, lol.  

BCM has significant investments in manufacturing machinery and equipment. (Spent later part of last week setup up a new grinding operation)
BCM has significant investments in all our own tooling. (fixturing, QC, uppers, lowers, charging handles, handguards, lower parts, stocks, grips, etc, etc, etc, … I know I am missing a bunch)
BCM has its own engineering department and holds a number of patents with dozens more applications at the US Pat office. (IMHO our engineering dept is the best in the industry)
BCM has its own prints, specs, data package on all parts with tolerancing to the mil-spec or often better.
BCM has one of the best QC dept, procedures, and track records in the AR15 industry. We have made significant investments in equipment for this as well. Some of the QC procedures and tooling BCM has created is now being implemented by multiple USGI contractors for .mil sales. (BCM built the tooling and/or supplied the procedures and prints)
BCM makes OEM parts for some of the biggest names in the industry.
BCM family (of companies) is operating in multiple locations right now, maybe more in 16?

Several months ago a friend of mine said there are a number of folks who think BCM is “assemblers”. I guess I have not been paying attention. BCM’s mission has been the same since inception 10 years ago; to build weapon systems with a focus on quality for the shooter taking risks in harms’ way, but our capabilities are constantly evolving and we expect that to continue. Much of our marketing focus in 2016 is to show off BCM expanding capabilities, equip, and production lines, etc. Stay tuned. But right now getting ready to release 6 or 7 new products before the end of January.

Thanks for reading!  
All the best,

Paul
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#15]
There are several companies out there building great AR's and BCM is just one of them.

people on this board are so obsessed with everything being "Mil-Spec". one day i hope some of these same people realize that all mil-spec means is the minimum standard that the military will accept on products and bids. yes, there are actually some things out the BETTER thank mil-spec. look at DD, they advertise their products as Mil-Spec+
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, here's some perspective:

During the Sandy Hook panic, Wal-Mart sold Colt LE6920MPs for ~$1200 retail, when they were available and without any price gouging.
Today you can buy a BCM Recce 16 for $1300 and get a far superior product (midlength, cold hammer forged, & free floated).  
You should use today's soft market prices to buy the best that you can...or don't.  

If you want some product endorsement from a couple of legitimate gun gurus regarding BCM, check out videos from Travis Haley and Pat Rogers.

Btw, You could probably sell your M&P Sport to offset the cost of buying a Tier 1 product.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#17]
BCM makes very good products; so do Colt (not the prettiest), Daniel Defense, and LMT. I own all the aforementioned brands, so buy with confidence. Although Colt has taken a hit lately because of poor finishes, today I beat the hell out of issued Colt M-4 and it ran like a sewing machine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:28:18 AM EDT
[#18]
OP, you're beating this nag to death. Judging by your nonsensical posts, you deserve a BCM. Please buy that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:03:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. OP, you've started at least a half dozen this vs that threads concerning the same manufacturers. None of your threads yield any different results. Colt, BCM, DD, LMT and any other brand you've mentioned are good to go. You're seriously splitting hairs, pick one and shoot the piss out of it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:14:06 AM EDT
[#20]
All my Build are aim towards SHTF or ready to go to battle.
Bravo Company parts meet or exceed Mil Spec.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#21]
You're also paying for a company to keep profits and offer such a wide range of options. They are well made. Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Assemblers? Oh how I wish. Life would be so much easier than the up at 12 hour days required to run the operation. It reminds me of the guys that think parts are just parts, as if there is not difference in specs, process, or quality. Boy, I wish that was true to. This job could be a cake walk, lol.  

BCM has significant investments in manufacturing machinery and equipment. (Spent later part of last week setup up a new grinding operation)
BCM has significant investments in all our own tooling. (fixturing, QC, uppers, lowers, charging handles, handguards, lower parts, stocks, grips, etc, etc, etc, … I know I am missing a bunch)
BCM has its own engineering department and holds a number of patents with dozens more applications at the US Pat office. (IMHO our engineering dept is the best in the industry)
BCM has its own prints, specs, data package on all parts with tolerancing to the mil-spec or often better.
BCM has one of the best QC dept, procedures, and track records in the AR15 industry. We have made significant investments in equipment for this as well. Some of the QC procedures and tooling BCM has created is now being implemented by multiple USGI contractors for .mil sales. (BCM built the tooling and/or supplied the procedures and prints)
BCM family (of companies) is operating in multiple locations right now, maybe more in 16?

Several months ago a friend of mine said there are a number of folks who think BCM is “assemblers”. I guess I have not been paying attention. BCM’s mission has been the same since inception 10 years ago; to build weapon systems with a focus on quality for the shooter taking risks in harms’ way, but our capabilities are constantly evolving and we expect that to continue. Much of our marketing focus in 2016 is to show off BCM expanding capabilities, equip, and production lines, etc. Stay tuned. But right now getting ready to release 6 or 7 new products before the end of January.

Thanks for reading!  
All the best,

Paul
View Quote
/Thread.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#23]
They do alot of testing and have had great quality control. Colt's QC has supposedly slid, as they've been making their stuff cheaper in order to compete.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
/Thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for reading!  
All the best,

Paul
/Thread.
Al of the above.  All of my "serious use" rifles are BCM, and every one of my BCGs are BCM.

Also, Paul is good people.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There are several companies out there building great AR's and BCM is just one of them.

people on this board are so obsessed with everything being "Mil-Spec". one day i hope some of these same people realize that all mil-spec means is the minimum standard that the military will accept on products and bids. yes, there are actually some things out the BETTER thank mil-spec. look at DD, they advertise their products as Mil-Spec+
View Quote
I think the Mil-spec + from DD is referring to a finish color on their rifles. I could be wrong
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They do alot of testing and have had great quality control. Colt's QC has supposedly slid, as they've been making their stuff cheaper in order to compete.
View Quote
everyone repeats that about colt but we don't see any evidence of that on the forum.  Just people repeating it over and over but it is extremely rare that someone post a pic of a colt fuck op or an actual colt complaint.  Colt still sells more rifles then almost anyone.  

They don't appear to be making stuff cheaper other then the expanse (which they don't make) and people complained about the 2013 configuration which reduced the accessories that came with the rifle but didn't actually cheap out on the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
everyone repeats that about colt but we don't see any evidence of that on the forum.  Just people repeating it over and over but it is extremely rare that someone post a pic of a colt fuck op or an actual colt complaint.  Colt still sells more rifles then almost anyone.  

They don't appear to be making stuff cheaper other then the expanse (which they don't make) and people complained about the 2013 configuration which reduced the accessories that came with the rifle but didn't actually cheap out on the rifle.
View Quote
Haven't seen any real evidence with issues of quality from Colt. As for the expanse, anyone who buys that rifle is a dumbass from the get go. What a joke of a gun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#28]
They offer good product and have excellent marketing. Once a brand gets popular, companies can significantly increases prices and people will pay.

My only experience with BCM products was negative. I bought some of their "mil-spec" M4 stocks, which turned out to be pretty loose on a mil-spec tube. When I contacted their CS, they would not let me return them, because they were on sale.

I've heard good things about their barrels, but I don't own any. I'm not likely to purchase any of their products, and neither is my LE agency.
Fortunately there are many good options in the AR world.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#29]
You're paying for reliability, the reputation and being a market leader.  BCM has it's flaws, but they have been a market leader.  It's easy to forget now, but not too long ago it wasn't easy, or possible in some cases, to find a company like BCM that would offer you uppers in multiple configurations to the point where you felt like you were buying the rifle the way you really wanted it.  I do appreciate the fact that they generally try to push design and performance; given, today it looks like they screwed up only doing keymod, but please remember that last year at this time it was 50/50 which would be more popular.  HDVD vs Blueray anyone.  

By the way whoever mentioned Travis Haley, you do know he gets paid to represent BCM, that isn't charity work.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They offer good product and have excellent marketing. Once a brand gets popular, companies can significantly increases prices and people will pay.

My only experience with BCM products was negative. I bought some of their "mil-spec" M4 stocks, which turned out to be pretty loose on a mil-spec tube. When I contacted their CS, they would not let me return them, because they were on sale.

I've heard good things about their barrels, but I don't own any. I'm not likely to purchase any of their products, and neither is my LE agency.
View Quote
That's a first time I've heard anyone say anything bad about them. Why won't your agency buy them and what do they use in the mean time
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Just because I got burned, and I'm in charge of the buying. 

We let our officers use personally-owned weapons. We also issue M16A1's reconfigured into 10.3" carbines with CQBR uppers from the Navy. Some have M4 barrels also. We have some M14 rifles as well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
You mean their expanse? I'm not interested in it. As long as their 6920s are g2g in quality and finish
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just because I got burned, and I'm in charge of the buying. 

We let our officers use personally-owned weapons. We also issue M16A1's reconfigured into 10.3" carbines with CQBR uppers from the Navy. Some have M4 barrels also. We have some M14 rifles as well.
View Quote
Nice. Was it one stock that was loose on the tube or was it the whole batch
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's a first time I've heard anyone say anything bad about them. Why won't your agency buy them and what do they use in the mean time
View Quote
I had an earlier lower that wouldn't take pmags, the paint flaked off the earlier handguards and some their barrels are kind of eh on accuracy.  All companies have their issues
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nice. Was it one stock that was loose on the tube or was it the whole batch
View Quote
The whole batch of 20.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I had an earlier lower that wouldn't take pmags, the paint flaked off the earlier handguards and some their barrels are kind of eh on accuracy.  All companies have their issues
View Quote
I have been told that their barrels are meh. Kind of surprising from a high end company. How did you resolve the pmag issue?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The whole batch of 20.
View Quote
Damn BCM is slacking
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have been told that their barrels are meh. Kind of surprising from a high end company. How did you resolve the pmag issue?
View Quote
I didn't.  I eventually gave it to someone for their first build.  Keep in mind this was back when the had a different logo.  I can't think of a single company that hasn't had issues of some kind.  Most of the time, and I suspect the lower was one of those times, they are just growing pains
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I didn't.  I eventually gave it to someone for their first build.  Keep in mind this was back when the had a different logo.  I can't think of a single company that hasn't had issues of some kind.  Most of the time, and I suspect the lower was one of those times, they are just growing pains
View Quote
Guess they started ok and turned out excellent afterwards. As long as their past issues are corrected
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Surprise me, please.

Paul, thanks for surprising me. Good job. Jolly good job.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#41]
FWIW I'm looking to shoot tight groups with my rifle like I've done at the range with issued m4 carbine. Either it's skill or the barrel is really nice. I'm hoping the barrel would be just as good on the BCM
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#42]
With good ammo the barrel likes my 16" CHF BCM barrel will shoot close to 1" groups at 100yds if I do my part.   It's often tough for my defective eyeballs to shoot tiny groups with a 1-6x scope.  I'd say it's damned good for a chrome lined completely reliable barrel.  

It does very well with hornady 55fmj over CFE223 but more like 1.5-2" groups but for ball I will take that all day every day.   M193 or M855 is more in the 2.5-3" range.

The heart of your rifle is a good barrel and bolt group.  Dont skimp on those.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#43]
You pay for a product backed by a great company/great customer service.

Also they tend to send you swag, and iirc buying an upper usually gets you a hat/shirt/decals
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thanks for reading!  
All the best,

Paul
View Quote
Speaking of new products, if you made your M4 SOCOM profile 16" barrel with mid-length gas ports instead of carbine length (or at least offered that option) I would buy one right now for my fighting middie upper build. Just saying.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
This exactly. I have never once heard about a bad bcm rifle, upper, or even a part really.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This exactly. I have never once heard about a bad bcm rifle, upper, or even a part really.
View Quote
Just like someone said as long as I get s good barrel and bcg I'm sold. What got me thinking was alot of posters have said their colts outshot their bcms. That's gotta say something about them
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well mil-spec m4 stocks are going to have a wobble that's normal.. I'm surprised they wouldn't let you return them though
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#49]
I got ac BCM upper on my back up rifle an think its worth the money.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well mil-spec m4 stocks are going to have a wobble that's normal.. I'm surprised they wouldn't let you return them though
View Quote
Not the amount of wobble they had. I've got several makes of mil-spec-ish M4 stocks. None wobble like that.
They technically would have let me return them, but with a 25% restocking fee plus the shipping.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top