Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2013 6:48:47 AM EST
Hi guys, I'm a n00b here posting on AR15. Long time lurker and I've learned a ton from a lot of you. I have a n00b problem that I was wondering any of you might be able to help me with. I did something boneheaded the other night and I can't figure out how to get out of this jam. I was building a new AR and was dry fitting parts for fit, finish, and movement. I got a new BCG and part way installed it into the upper to test its fit to make sure that I had smooth movement. I did this without a charging handle. I turned the upper to face me so I could put a flash light down the front end and look to see if there were any issues and set the flashlight down to reach over for a fiber optic scope to put down the throat to get a better look at interface between the bodies and my body pushed up against the upper and it drove the BCG all the way down and locked it in place.

Now I can't get it out. I've built a couple of AR's before, but this has never happened to me and I'm not sure what to do since I don't want to damage anything. So I set it down, walked away, and figured I'd hit up the experts that this may have happened to before. If anyone can impart advice on how to get that BCG out I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:56:32 AM EST
Just mortar it. Bolt should slide right out.

Or, stick a pin punch into one of the gas relief holes in the bolt carrier thru the ejection port.
Then pull back on the pin, just like a bolt action rifle.
Dont stick the pin in too far, as you may stop the bolt from moving forward to unlock.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:58:38 AM EST
did you not have a firing pin in the bcg also ? cause there was a thread about that a bit back ... here that would help with that .... need more info if that link doesn't help
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:01:01 AM EST
Is it a complete upper? How about pulling the BCG from the bottom of the upper receiver rearward. If the parts are all new and not "broken in" it might take some force but I would place a screw driver or punch (at a 90* angle to the bore) on the bottom of the BCG and slide it rearward. Once the lugs unlock it should fall out the rear of the receiver. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:22:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/5/2013 7:24:22 AM EST by Methadras]
@us-kiwi

It's a stripped upper at the moment, so i can really 'Mortar' it at the moment. I will try the pin punch method and see if that works. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:23:53 AM EST
@paxtoncamaro

It is a complete BCG so it does have the firing pin in it, but I will read the thread and see if it offers any other insight. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:31:42 AM EST

Sounds like it's just tight, as new parts should be.

Just pry it out with a screw driver with tape on it.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 8:09:45 AM EST
Since you do not have a barrel on, there is not anything to unlock the bolt; so the cam pin can clear the half-moon cut-out in the upper receiver. So, you need to reach in from the barrel side of the upper to unlock the bolt by pulling the bolt towards you. Once the bolt is unlocked, the carrier will slide right out.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 9:55:59 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR-4C:
Since you do not have a barrel on, there is not anything to unlock the bolt; so the cam pin can clear the half-moon cut-out in the upper receiver. So, you need to reach in from the barrel side of the upper to unlock the bolt by pulling the bolt towards you. Once the bolt is unlocked, the carrier will slide right out.
View Quote

good point
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:43:49 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR-4C:
View Quote

Yep, good point. I didn't consider the effect of not having a barrel.

Disregard my earlier post.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:28:48 PM EST
Good news to report. I was able to extract the BCG by basically mortaring the upper by hand, but it took a far bit of force, but I did it in front of my bed so that the BCG didn't get damaged. It worked. Not going to repeat that mistake again. Thank you for all the tips.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:17:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/14/2013 7:18:13 AM EST by Starcraftmlg]
Was going to tell you... BCG has hollow inside and half moon cuts. You could have used a metal coat hanger and hook it from behind the upper thru the BCG hole and pull itnout.

Go from behind the upper thru the BCG butthole and out the bottom of the BCG. That's the only good way to describe it. Lol
Top Top