Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/4/2006 5:37:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/4/2006 7:01:18 AM EDT by advntrjnky]
a few years ago i got a "good deal" on a new OLY Black Tac complete BCG. it looked nice, had the shrouded firing pin and extra meat on the back. this is the second time now that it has gummed up and made inoperable after a few rounds (approx 150) and sat for about a month before i shot it again with out cleaning. now this has never happened with the colt BCG in my other AR. usually i clean them right away, but occasionally it gets set aside and overlooked for awhile. So my question: is the non-chrome lined OLY "special Black Tac coated" just a turd and should go in the parts bin? i have been thinking about getting a CMT BCG since it is a CMT "globe rollmark" lower.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:52:26 AM EDT
if its gummed up its probably more your doin than anything.

reason it gums up is overlubing, crap lube, maintenance on your end
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:57:42 AM EDT
I lube the shit out of my BCG's and shoot the hell out of them and don't always clean them and i have never had any problems like that. I use pensoil full synthetic motor oil for my BCG cause it never burns off when they get super hot.

I also prefer the CMT BCG's

good luck
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:00:23 AM EDT
i barely lube it, just a very thin film. right now Rem Oil is what i am using. clean the other one the exact same way (colt BCG), and never a problem. i'm going to pull it apart this weekend and do a thorough clean/inspection of it (BCG). I need another BCG for another build, so i may just pick up the CMT to have on hand.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:13:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By advntrjnky:
i barely lube it, just a very thin film. right now Rem Oil is what i am using. clean the other one the exact same way (colt BCG), and never a problem. i'm going to pull it apart this weekend and do a thorough clean/inspection of it (BCG). I need another BCG for another build, so i may just pick up the CMT to have on hand.

That's your problem.

Use CLP and lube the shit out of it. AR BCGs should be run like wimmenz: WET
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:16:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By usmc5593:
I lube the shit out of my BCG's and shoot the hell out of them and don't always clean them and i have never had any problems like that. I use pensoil full synthetic motor oil for my BCG cause it never burns off when they get super hot.

good luck

When did Penzoil start making a full synthetic? I didnt know they had one. I thought the 2 major ones were Castrol, and Mobil 1, along with a few much smaller companies.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:26:44 AM EDT
I only buy CMT BCG's.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:19:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Glockin_It:

Originally Posted By usmc5593:

good luck

When did Penzoil start making a full synthetic? I didnt know they had one. I thought the 2 major ones were Castrol, and Mobil 1, along with a few much smaller companies.

think everyone offers synthetic now. i have seen the ones mentioned along with valvoline,firestone, etc...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:34:09 AM EDT
You could also try switching to a paste or grease lubricant instead of oil. My experience is that grease stays where you put it.

The M16 / AR will burn or sling off anything it doesn't need, but you'll stil have to keep lubing it. We shoot a thousand rounds a day, during classes, and have had pretty good experience with Militec for oil. I am really starting to like the TW25B grease though. It's made by Milcom and is available in small blister packs that are perfect for the range bag.

Doesn't even synthetic motor oil have some negative effects on the integrity of the metal after a time?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:00:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 8:23:37 AM EDT by advntrjnky]
thanks fore the tips on using grease! i'm heading into town today and am going to stop at Cabela's and see what they have for lubricants. i also found that the firing pin has alot of small pitting on it and any fouling that gets pushed through sticks/settles in the pits slowing the rotation of the bolt causing my failures to go into battery. the bolt and carrier look free of pitting.

another question: i have noticed the leading edge of the bolt locking lugs getting deformed- is this normal? also where the bolt stop catches the bottom two lugs is starting to deform a little. is this just a crap soft bolt? everything else seems to be wearing in correctly/ nicely. i probably have a little over 1000 rds through it since i finished it/ started firing it almost 1 year ago exactly. i'll try to get pics up later today of the firing pin and bolt.

ETA: will the moly grease i use for assembly work for lubrication. the stuff i use is automotive moly grease for brake calipers
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:09:13 AM EDT
I don't know about you but if I have any second thoughts of the integrity of my bolt and or carrier it's getting replaced.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:21:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jvicent:
We shoot a thousand rounds a day, during classes, and have had pretty good experience with Militec for oil. I am really starting to like the TW25B grease though. It's made by Milcom and is available in small blister packs that are perfect for the range bag.

I've switched my duty and "go to" weapons over to TW25B, its not even a close contest with other lubes.

advntrjnky- Try cleaning it and using a regular lube and see what it does. Clean it real good to make sure you haven't had solvents or lubes react and gum up. I've got a couple OA BlackTac BCGs, and never had any trouble with them. They have actually done well for me. Duty weapons all run with a Colt BCG, but I run training ARs with the BlackTac just to see how they do, and they have all done well.

Check your carrier key and make sure it is tight, and staked.

I'm not sure what you mean by "gumming up", but its very possible that your Rem Oil reacted with another lube.

Lastly, you can get a CMT BCG with a MPI tested bolt for $130.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:50:33 PM EDT
Thanks all, for the tips!

after comparing the firing pin and bolt to a Colt bolt/ FP that has many times the round count and an LMT bolt (i forgot i had in the parts bin with about 50 rds on it) i decided to replace the Oly bolt /FP with the LMT bolt and Colt firing pin. I am planning on contacting Oly to have them take a look at it. i don't believe that bolt lugs should be deforming like that, especially after comparing it to the colt with a higher rd count. i took some pics, but they are too high res to post (or even to have hunt101 host), and when shrunk down don't show the detail. so i won't even bother posting them.

thanks again!

advntrjnky
Top Top