Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2004 2:12:05 PM EDT
Is the barrel chrome lined??

Also, how do I access the other/older posts??  I notice there are thousands of posts but I can only access a couple weeks worth within the ar-10 variants section.

Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]

The BAR-10 currently isn't chromelined... When they chromeline the barrel, I'll buy...

I believe you have to be a team member to access the older posts... Are you looking for some older posts on the BAR-10?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=192237

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=192236

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=192723

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=191471

Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.

What advantage does a chrome lined barrel offer that the current set up does not???  

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I appreciate the replies.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#5]

The BAR-10 barrel is 4150 steel and is not chrome lined.

I do not view the lack of chrome lining as a disadvantage.  I know there are those who think quite strongly that a barrel must be chrome lined, but I shoot a lot and have yet to shoot out a barrel - chrome lined or not.

As the BAR-10 is not full auto, I doubt I will view any degradation in performance for at least 50,000 rounds.

Obviously, the hotter the barrel gets with each shooting session, the faster the barrel will wear out.  In full auto weapons, yes, a chrome lined barrel is an advantage.

Chrome lining a barrel can, however, adversely affect accuracy.

If chrome lining is a make-or-break criterion for you, then look elsewhere.  But I think the BAR-10 is a well-balanced package even without a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If chrome lining is a make-or-break criterion for you, then look elsewhere.  But I think the BAR-10 is a well-balanced package even without a chrome lined barrel.

Too late there-I bought one already.  I have been cruising the boards and came across one of the posts that mentioned the chrome lining question and figured I would post it here.  So far I love my BAR-10 and have actually recently ordered the clips you recommended.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll but the Bushy 308 when the barrel is chrome lined.  I believe the chrome lining affecting accuracy is a thing of the past unless your a match shooter.  Both of my chrome lined ARs are around 1 MOA @ 100 yards.  That is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Iwould not be put off by unchromed barrel of quality. Bushmaster barrels I have had, both chrome and not, have been of quality. Bushmaster 4150 barrels, I'll buy that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#9]
4150 is balony.  You've bought into great marketing hype.  The chrome is important in a field gun because the design doesn't have the early camming acton of an M1 or M14.  It's more important in the chamber than in the bore.

I got my Bushy a month ago.  They aren't called BAR-10s.  It seems there was a conflict with the Armalite trademark and Bushy just marks the rifle "Bushmaster .308"
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
4150 is balony.  You've bought into great marketing hype.  The chrome is important in a field gun because the design doesn't have the early camming acton of an M1 or M14.  It's more important in the chamber than in the bore.

I got my Bushy a month ago.  They aren't called BAR-10s.  It seems there was a conflict with the Armalite trademark and Bushy just marks the rifle "Bushmaster .308"

No.

Bushmaster marks the rifle:

CAL. .308-7.62mm

MOD. BAR-10

BAR 00xxxx

Bushmaster's literature calls the rifle "Bushmaster .308," but they are still marked "BAR-10."

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:58:44 AM EDT
[#11]
That was some early ones.  They're changed to Bushmaster 308 now and that's what I got.  I don't know all the details but maybe Bushmaster or ArmaLite can clear it up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#12]
you are right, no more BAR10, that name can no longer be used.  there is only one AR10, and its made by armalite.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That was some early ones.  They're changed to Bushmaster 308 now and that's what I got.  I don't know all the details but maybe Bushmaster or ArmaLite can clear it up.

Out of curiosity, what is your serial number?

Requisite X's on last two or three numbers, of course.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Out of curiosity, what is your serial number?

Requisite X's on last two or three numbers, of course.

Thanks

I have contacted Bushmaster for clarification.

Any luck finding that serial #?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:34:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:20:36 PM EDT
[#16]
My Bushmaster .308 is the 6xx one to come off the line...marked BAR-10.  So do you think this one might become a collector???  By the way, have had numberous problems with the rifle.  Just got it back after a new barrel was installed.   I have to say that Bushmaster Customer Service has taken care of me.  Haven't been to the range yet since getting it back.  So what about collector's status???
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#17]
What sort of problems?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#18]
When I first got the rifle, I was having a problem feeding the last round out of the 20 rd magazine.  Sent it back and was informed that some of the BAR-10 rifles hadn't had a feedramp modification and mine was one of them.  Sent it back.  When I got it back, went to the range and had a problem feeding the first round out of the magazine.  Removed a couple of rounds from the magazine and started firing.  All of a sudden, the magazine drops out of the rifle.  I thought maybe my hand was close to the mag release so I put the mag back in and started firing again.  Same thing happened.  Also, all spent brass was bent pretty badly.  Needless to say, this was not a good day at the range.
Sent it back again and was told that the barrel was to be replaced because of the feedramp.  Also, magazine latch was defective.  I just got it back and I'm not going to the range with it.  I listed it to sell.  I read someone else was having a problem with charging handle hitting him in the nose.  Mine did get loose once so I don't want to wait around to have that issue.
I spent $1,600 on the rifle.  For that kind of money, I want to take the rifle to the range and fire it until my shoulder hurts without any problems.  The concept on having a .308 that has 50% parts interchange with AR15 attracted me.
So I'm trying to figure out what my next .308 will be....any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm sort of biased toward the Armalites myself.

I've got two that have given me nothing but giggles.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Freddy, you have sent you'r BAR-10 back twice? Please post after having shot it again. Also please explain if you sort out any malfunction to a magazine or two. Some of these 4.00 mags may not be worth holding too close to the heart.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:37:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I have sent it back twice.  I'm not going to shot it again because I'm selling it.  The mag releasing issue was confirmed by Bushmaster and was taken care of.   I just don't want to find anymore issues with this rifle.....
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#22]

SHHHH...Do you hear it?
If you listen very carefully you can hear SHIVAN....
He's lurking about waiting for just the right moment too pounce.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey, I'm not bashing the company.  Bushmaster Customer Service has been outstanding.  I just think the design has a long way to go before it's somewhat perfected.  I somewhat relate it to the initial design problems of the M16.  I just hope it doesn't take as long to remedy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#24]

I'm joking as well.  

I just get amused to see how long a thread will go before communications break down between SHIVAN and gaijin.

Enjoy life.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
What is to breakdown?  I can admit faults to the AR10.  I am the last one to claim they are perfect, or flawless or the perfect design.

I have only seen one stellar review of the Bushmaster .308.  Guess who it came from?

Enough said.

Enjoying life because I will be sending in my AR10 upper for a FH this week..........

SHIVAN and I may have some heated "discussions" from time to time, but I know he is a good guy and honestly motivated.  Our experience base is just different.

I do not maintain that any weapon system is all bad or all good.

Enjoying life because I will install a Vortex on my Bushmaster BAR-10 this week
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

How will you go about it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How will you go about it?

The Izzy muzzle brake is attached to a threaded barrel with a pin which is welded over.

First, I'll grind off some of the weld to determine the angle and type of pin used.

Depending on the type of pin, I will either grind it off or drill it out and then unthread the muzzle brake.

Clean up the threads and then thread on the Vortex - no washer required.

It should be fairly straightforward.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I had Armalite install a brake on a Bushmaster hbar. It worked very well and was done quite nicely. One of the happiest gun repairs in my memory. First class. On that job there was a faint shadow of what you are describing, I think. Can you see a 'shadow' in the finish outlining the spot the pin is welded over?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I had Armalite install a brake on a Bushmaster hbar. It worked very well and was done quite nicely. One of the happiest gun repairs in my memory. First class. On that job there was a faint shadow of what you are describing, I think. Can you see a 'shadow' in the finish outlining the spot the pin is welded over?

Here's a pic of what I have on the BAR-10:

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I like the brake. For me, its fine like just that.

If you have trouble with removal, non chrome barrel is a candidate for cut, crown, thread. Good backup plan I guess. Good luck with you'r project.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#32]
hey guys, I was looking to buy a bushy .308 and was under the impression the muzzle brake was just threaded on.I thought only if it was under the 16" mark it had to be permanantly fixed.Does bushy just pin it anyway? I was hoping to just be able to take it off by unscrewing it and spinning on a flashhider.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
hey guys, I was looking to buy a bushy .308 and was under the impression the muzzle brake was just threaded on.I thought only if it was under the 16" mark it had to be permanantly fixed.Does bushy just pin it anyway? I was hoping to just be able to take it off by unscrewing it and spinning on a flashhider.

All new Bushmaster 308's should have a removeable brake/flash suppressor.  Since mine was purchased before the sunset of the AWB, it had to be permanently attached.

During the period of the AWB, all muzzle devices had to be permanently attached on new guns.

HTH
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#34]
thanks for the reply gaijin.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top