Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2003 7:55:15 AM EDT
Hello...after building my rifle i coldnt resist shooting it, so i went tot he local range and fired 90 rounds thru it. After i got home i found some info on barrel break in?....Obviously i didnt do this..how will this effect my rifle and its accuracy/reliability? Is it to late to "start" the break in procedure?

All info appreciated

josh
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#1]
If you ask me, those break in procedures are  more hype than substance.  Just shoot it!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Break in isn't really necessary.  It sounds good on paper, but hasn't really been proven in practice.  I did a 1-shot, 1-clean for 10 shots, but didn't take it to the extreme like some of these people's instructions.  I'm not going to loose any sleep over it, and honestly, I would feel just fine about not having done it.  If you didn't do it and you want to, you can, but it's a real PITA because you have to strip all the copper out of the bore, etc.  You'll probably do more damage to it trying to do that then you will ever gain in accuracy re-breaking in the barrel.  Just forget about all that BS, take your rifle out and go have fun!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Not breaking-in a barrel will not cause any damage.

You can break-in a barrel whenever you feel like it.  In reality, if you clean your rifle conscientiously, the barrel will essentially break-in over time anyway.

The actual value of going through a break-in procedure is always worth an argument here.

If you want more info, see the links I posted in: [url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=169418&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's a chrome barrel, just shoot the hell out of it. If it is steel, some would say to break it in, and others say to just shoot it. I don't know the exact break-in procedure, so I guess i'm not that much help. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:16:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hello...after building my rifle i coldnt resist shooting it, so i went tot he local range and fired 90 rounds thru it. After i got home i found some info on barrel break in?....Obviously i didnt do this..how will this effect my rifle and its accuracy/reliability? Is it to late to "start" the break in procedure?

All info appreciated

josh
View Quote

------

Just shoot it.

And clean the barrel thoroughly between shooting sessions for about the first 500 rounds or so.

More isn't always better.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:12:31 AM EDT
[#6]
That's not what SHE said!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top