Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2006 9:37:42 PM EDT
After 24 years of shooting ARs, and countless rebuilds, versions and modifications, I have finally got the first of my Ultimate Builds finished.

This one is a "transitional" model; it incorporates older features like a fixed front sight tower, with newer innovations like a free-float handguard. The inspiration for it is the Diemaco "SFW", which was selected by the SAS after extensive worldwide trials against all the usual suspects. The SFW is an improved varient of the general-purpose infantry rifle, meant for the challenging missions SF operators are tasked with; this UB mirrors these design considerations. I did not want to make an exact SFW clone however, as even it can be improved.

The SAS liked the M-4, but wanted a longer, heavier barrel; Diemaco designed a 16" barrel, which has an unusual profile: heavy under the handguards, and light in front of the gas block; over the light section of the barrel is a steel sleeve meant to support a grenade launcher attachment. For my UB I selected Denny's 16" "Operator" barrel, which is better than the SFW barrel because it has a midlength gas system. The Operator is a "midweight" barrel; slightly lighter than the SOCOM M-4A1 barrel. While this is not a FA rifle, for this UB I followed the SAS logic; I wanted a barrel that could put out a lot of fire without split groups and have a longer effective range than the 14.5" M-4 barrel.

The SAS also chose an improved KAC RAS, but I wanted the benefits free-floating, so I chose the DD Lite 9.0 rail. I have other brands of FF handguards that will be part of my future UBs, but I felt this model was a good fit for this UB, due to it's light weight and good design.

Flash hider is the YHM Phantom with 5 equidistant slots, as I did not want to time it, and have a suspicion that symmetrical slots = better flash hiding potential.

For the Optic I chose the ACOG TA-31, which the Brits will also be using. This optic gives good results for the full effective range of the 5.56 cartridge: from close ranges out to 600m. A proven, rugged design. I chose the LaRue ACOG mount to go with it, since they are superior to the military issue, or the ARMS mounts I have had.

Stock is the MagPul CRT, for strength and simplicity.

BUIS is the Troy folding Battle Sight, as it is the only one the Marines couldn't break.

Pistol grip is the TangoDown Battlegrip, which fits my hand well.

Vertical foregrip is the Tangodown model, which I find stronger than the KAC and cooler than the aluminum types.

Rail covers are the Ladder type, which I think are all made by the same company; I chose them because they are the slimmest.

All plastic is in Flat Dark Earth, as it is a good compromise color. I did not paint the rifle because I've tried the major brands, and did not think they were very durable.

That is my first Ultimate build. If you have created your own equivalent, and have a reason for every part on it, I'd like to see it, and hear why you chose your particular components.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks a lot like whats sitting in my gun safe
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#2]

very nice UB

Mike

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice, it's a very good amalgam of quality parts that create a unique, yet highly functional firearm. I, having finally saved enough money for my ultimate build, am going to wait till after the SHOT show to start my build. This way I will have the most up to date components. As of now the build should go like this.

-Vltor VIS-3, If Larue introduces their monolith at the SHOT show a may use it.
-MSTN super sam barrel, or maybe something a bit heavier in profile. I also plan to have dimpling done to the barrel opposed to fluting.
-Night Force 5.5-22x50 NXS in a Larue mount. I have yet to decide on the reticle, I'm leaning towards the NR-p2
-Geiselle trigger
-Magpul PRS stock
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I dig it; it is beautiful. Thanks Aye!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nice, it's a very good amalgam of quality parts that create a unique, yet highly functional firearm. I, having finally saved enough money for my ultimate build, am going to wait till after the SHOT show to start my build. This way I will have the most up to date components. As of now the build should go like this.

-MSTN super sam barrel, or maybe something a bit heavier in profile. I also plan to have dimpling done to the barrel opposed to fluting.
-Night Force 5.5-22x50 NXS in a Larue mount. I have yet to decide on the reticle, I'm leaning towards the NR-p2
-Geiselle trigger
-Magpul PRS stock

Ahh, sounds like you are planning a "SPR" UB built arount a Monolithic upper...me too!

I have a Vltor VIS-2, and am awaiting a LaRue monolith to evaluate before I proceed with my SPR UB.

EDIT: thanks for the kind words, everyone!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:48:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice rifle !!!
Liked to read your "what" + "why".

May be one day my rifle will arrive.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:28:52 AM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
May be one day my rifle will arrive.have
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:21:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Thats a great looking setup job well done
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#10]
She's a real beauty.

On a related note, I always wondered why the UK felt it necessary to go with a 16" barrel.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
She's a real beauty.

On a related note, I always wondered why the UK felt it necessary to go with a 16" barrel.

From the Diemaco website:

The 5.56 mm SFWTM Special Forces Weapon is a carbine designed by working closely with special forces operators to meet the very demanding needs of modern combat operations. This weapon has passed the most rigorous military testing and has distinguished itself in combat with the most respected Special Forces in NATO. The SFWTM combines the flexibility of a carbine with a slightly longer barrel for increased lethality and accuracy at longer ranges. The SFWTM meets or exceeds all applicable military standards including: reliability in all environmental and operational conditions, accuracy, lethality, maintainability in field conditions and safety. The SFWTM is the weapon of choice for special operations.

• Direct Gas System. The unique direct gas system eliminates the operating rod and keeps all of the firing forces in line with the bore for maximum accuracy and reliability.

• Hammer Forged Heavy Mid-Length Barrel. The long-life chrome lined cold hammer forged barrel is the most advanced and durable barrel available. The integrally forged special carbine chamber ensures consistency and accuracy over the life of the barrel. The heavy Barrel profile maintains zero with accessories fitted and provides extra thermal mass to dissipate heat during intensive firing. The sleeve permits direct fitting of several different grenade launcher systems.

• Flat Top. The upper receiver can be manufactured in the original Canadian Forces specification Weaver rail, or with a MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail.

• Simplicity. The proven design ensures ease of operation and the ultimate in maintainability. The weapon is easy to operate and can be field stripped in seconds with no tools.

• Durability. The high strength materials and precision manufacturing ensure durability and low-life cycle costs. The SFWTM has 97% parts commonality with all other models.

I don't know WTF they mean by calling it a "Mid-Length Barrel" when it has a Carbine length gas system...maybe because it's 16"?

EDIT: note that Diemaco has trademarked "SFW"! Don't they know what happened when Colt tried this with the "M-4" designation?
Especially since Colt now owns Diemaco...
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Very nice and well done.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Sweet!

Danny
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I like it
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I`m trying to build a clone but I`m stumped on the barrel. Oh well it`s close.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Add a flip front site and it would be jmccoy's ultimate build too

Very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#17]

My ultimate build (note older pic with BFG IDF style sling model, no QR swivels sling mount)

Nice build, congrats.

I also had my ultimate build back in Dec. 2005 and only upgraded it with Troy FDE BUIS, Surefire M961C light and Blue Force Gear IDF style sling with QR swivels first half of this year.

Some of my components are similar to yours and have the same reason of choice, I'm only listing my differences and why I picked them. I didn't have a theme except my configuration is just for my needs in the desert area where I live.

Phoenix FS (from the EE), I like the Vortex style but wanted closed slots.

LaRue 9.0 FF same reason you picked yours but it was the only available with the locking ring lock design at that time, I will also use a DD Lite rail for my future build.

I like the TangoDown rail Panels because of their snug fit and I'm also using Magpul ladder covers on all exposed rails to protect them from damage, I like the black color ladders on the top rails because it doesn't have light glare of the tan color.

Colt Diemaco marked M4 upper, 6721 factory built lower and M16 BCG, I like Colt for their reliability because I have been using them for the past 35 years and had owned 6 Colts in the past without any problems.

Troy FDE BUIS which replaced my KAC 300m because it's more tougher and won't accidentally fold down unless the lock button is activated first.

My grip is the Magpul MIAD because it fits my hand well and could make it smaller by changing the rear panel when I'm wearing gloves.

Norgon ambi mag release so I have another method of changing mags when shooting weak side.

Stag Arms ambi selector same reason as the Norgon and I like Stag's flush head right screw.

My buttstock is the Vltor club foot modstock group because I like it's large battery/ parts compartments, great cheek weld, modular design and I could hold the club foot with my weak hand when shooting long ranges.

I chose Aimpoint optics because I'm a long time Aimpoint user since the 90s on my pistols, I'm only going to use my carbine in short to medium ranges but I'm going to get a 3X magnifier and maybe an ACOG later on.

Surefire M961C light because I need it to be effective both indoors and outdoors, I don't like wires and wanted to keep it simple with the button switch (my light is not mounted during daytime, I keep it on my Eagle-SKD chest mag carrier).

Don't forget to also post your pics in Denny's GUNS/ GLOBAL TACTICAL PICTURE THREAD Part 2.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

-Geiselle trigger
-Magpul PRS stock

Sounds a lot like one I just built except for the VIS part.  You may want to look at the NP-R1 reticle for the Nightforce.  It if fairly new as far as I know.  I just bought a 5.5x22x50 with the R1 from CS gunworks in CA from the EE.  rather than the 2MOA verticals and the 5MOA horizontal markings, it has 1MoA verticals and 2MOA horizontals.  Just throwing that out there for you since you said that you were unsure of the reticle so far.  GS
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice build, Aye Guy!

Quoted:
I`m trying to build a clone but I`m stumped on the barrel. Oh well it`s close.

i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/charnmike/Picture002Medium-1.jpg

The SFW barrel is heavy under the handguards only, and lightweight in profile forward of that. They have a special sleeve which fits behind the flash suppressor to act as a grenade launcher stop and to allow the use of a bayonet on this longer barrel. It wouldn't take much to turn one out on a lathe. BTW, the FSB is a little different, too, but it doesn't show with that little rail thingie installed.

Which A1 carry handle did you use? There are two that I know of, aside from the actual Diemaco item.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I like it a lot, nice build
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BUIS is the Troy folding Battle Sight, as it is the only one the Marines couldn't break.

Heheh, what's the story behind that?

I read that somewhere on this site in the past few months...can't remember in which thread that was.

I forgot to say a big THANK YOU to Denny @ GTS. I bought the Operator barrel a while back when he made the first run of them, and recently when I was looking to buy the DD handguard, he said if I sent back my barrel he would assemble it all together...at no charge.

So, thanks Denny for building my upper, and especially thanks for getting the Operator barrel made.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Me likey.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks great and I'm sure it will shoot great too!

I have a mid-length carbine setup in a similar fashon too...
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#26]
What sling mount is that on the DD forend?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What sling mount is that on the DD forend?

Midwest Industries MCTAR-08 (QD Front Sling Adaptor)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top