Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2008 3:06:59 AM EDT
Folks,

I learned here that Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner works as good as Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber.  So I substituted a $12.00 16oz aerosol Gunscrubber can for a $2.00 14oz aerosol brake cleaner can and have saved a lot of cash in the last 2 years.

Also learned here that I can lube my guns with Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil.  In fact Mobil 1 worked better than BreakFree CLP and just as good as LP.  Then again, substituted a $15.00 CLP 16oz bottle for a $7 quart of Mobil 1.

Now, my question is what automotive product I can use to substitute this:

Does anyone here know what components are used in Hoppes No. 9?  

The label states that it contains kerosene.  

What gives Hoppes No. 9 its peculiar smell?  I will be tempted to substitute Hoppes No. 9 if I can find an inexpensive substitute, but damn, I'll miss that smell  

Link Posted: 5/4/2008 5:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Make yourself a batch of "ed's red"

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Why? It very toxic and there are acctuall gun cleaners that work better.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, Ed's Red - kerosene, mineral spirits, DEXRON transmission fluid and acetone.  All found in the hardware store.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#4]
GM "Top-something".  Engine Top Cleaner?? Something like that.

I've heard many say it's the same thing as MC-7 bore cleaner.  Close enough to Hoppes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe it to be Banana Oil that gives hoppe's its distinct smell. Someone correct me of I'm wrong.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I wondered about the GM cleaner, too.  It's designed to clean out the EGR ports in your heads and intake manifold.  It foams and desolves the carbon build up.  I know it works better than reg. carb. cleaner - first hand.

Anyway, the can I bought about 6 months ago was $12 so I don't know if it's cheaper than the store bought gun stuff or not.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Kerosene and chemically pure ethanol (no water) are the primary components of Hoppes Nitro Solvent. Little bit of ammonia as a "copper solvent"/reagent.

Don't believe me? Here is the MSDS if you need proof:

www.copquest.com/knowledgebase/MSDS_Hoppes_No_9_Solvent.pdf

Straight kerosene will do most of what Hoppes does without missing much. The rest is accomplished through mechanical action. (scrubbing with your bore brush)

I use pure kerosene to clean my guns since it does just as good a job as the bottled commercial stuff. Leaves a "light oily" film behind without the concern of potential corrosion being caused by the ammonia component residue that may remain behind.

Oh yeah, It ain't "automotive" either...

TK
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?    There are purpose made gun cleaners that work better ( although I've not found them to be worth the added expense too often ), but there is not a significant difference in toxicity between them and Ed's Red.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?    There are purpose made gun cleaners that work better ( although I've not found them to be worth the added expense too often ), but there is not a significant difference in toxicity between them and Ed's Red.

Sure there is. Look up Slip 2000 and M-Pro 7 products. These are some of the very best gun cleaners to be had and are fully non-toxic unlike Ed's Red.
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Gents,

Thanks for the replies, specially TK for the Hoppes MSDS.

I'll try the straight kerosene first to see how it disolves carbon deposits.  Then probably I'll mix it with ethanol, acetone, etc... just want to experiment a bit to see if I can end up with something similar to H9.  And for sure I'll give the banana oil a try

Bump for more ideas/comments.

PS.  A pic of my new oilers.  I got'em at Brownells.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#11]
TacDoc,

S'pose if you wanted to go truly "automotive" you could use straight diesel fuel.

I suspect that as a "field expiedient" it would be just as effective as Kerosene (or Hoppes) and would also leave behind a light oil film that would serve to protect the surface after it was cleaned.

TK
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
TacDoc,

S'pose if you wanted to go truly "automotive" you could use straight diesel fuel.

I suspect that as a "field expiedient" it would be just as effective as Kerosene (or Hoppes) and would also leave behind a light oil film that would serve to protect the surface after it was cleaned.

TK

Try some Odorless Mineral Spirits, mix in some BF CLP to your liking.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=358886
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
TacDoc,

TK

Try some Odorless Mineral Spirits, mix in some BF CLP to your liking.

I agree with Quib. My experience with a 50/50 mix of low odor mineral spirits and BF CLP works well for bolt and carrier cleaning and once the mineral spirits has evaporated the CLP remains as a light film.I still prefer BoreTechs "Eliminator" for bore cleaning.It gets out the copper and the powder fowling without brushing.It has no ammonia either.

Best,
Don

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=358886
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I use NON CLOR Brake Cleaner and CLP

I might try Quibs method on my carrier/Bolt

But will take out my Extractor First

I just have a Quirk with the plastic O ring and insert
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The extractor insert and o-ring will be fine.
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#16]
For the NFA items (they tend to get very dirty, very often ;-).  We have been using a couple types of mineral spirits (either low odor with a flash point of 105F or a 140F+ version that is sold as safer parts washing fluid ... not water based).

In the past I have used 8% AFT to help clean, however, for the last several years have instead been pre-cleaning the worst spots (bolt and chamber) with either Hopplies, MPro-7 or even Break Free CLP.

This year have to try the Break Free in mineral spirits.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:
TacDoc,

TK

Diesel is Kerosene without the extra refinement, so it would leave a film behind.  

Just don't get yer gun too hot, it might diesel on.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Try this page, several good ideas for homemade stuff. I used this page as a primer to develop my own copper solvent.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#19]
The thing is trying to find a subsitute for Hoppe's..........mineral spirits, kerosene,dextron, etc......doesn't take out copper???

If your trying to suubsitute for Hoppe's  you need to find something that will remove copper fouling also.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Try this page, several good ideas for homemade stuff. I used this page as a primer to develop my own copper solvent.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

Their gun oil substitutes are funny.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:10:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I believe it to be Banana Oil that gives hoppe's its distinct smell. Someone correct me of I'm wrong.  

Isoamyl acetate.  There are other esters like butyl acetate and the like.  These dissolve powder deposits.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would think it should be!

I did buy a New surefire E2D

Came with a  WARNING  DO NOT USE PATROLEUM LUBS ON O Ring
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would think it should be!

Then what was the problem?
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top