Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/9/2003 1:31:19 AM EDT
Has anyone tried the Australian .308 Ammoman is now selling? If so what was your experience.

http://www.ammoman.com/images/blister3082.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:48:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have only tried the Aussy that came on stripper clips, but I have heard that the stuff in the blister packs is newer (90's manufacture) and may also be boxer primed.

Personally I'm going to buy as much as I can afford for X-Mas!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:44:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Aussie (from the strippers) is the one of the most accurate loads from my AR-10.  Only Federal Match beats it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Great stuff I have the stuff that came in the 200 round ammo can on strippers in the bandoliers .As good as the port ammo and clean .
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The stripper clips on the Aussie .308, does anyone know what gun they are for?
Are they for the T-48 FAL or L1Al?
Will they work in an M1A?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The Aussie .308 on Ammoman is berdan primed. I forget, berdan is not reloadable?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the Port that AIM has if you want the best .$139.99 /1000
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The stripper clips on the Aussie .308, does anyone know what gun they are for?
Are they for the T-48 FAL or L1Al?
Will they work in an M1A?

Thanks
View Quote

They work with the L1A1.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get the Port that AIM has if you want the best .$139.99 /1000
View Quote

The Port is very decent ammo, but the Aussie ammo is far higher in quality. {that does not mean it will shoot better in your gun though}
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I have shot a lot (6 to 7 thousand rounds)and I find the port to be more consistant .Fal,hk 91 (real one) M1A and PTR 91 ,cetme. how do you find aussi to be better quality ?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#10]
i agree with buster...port is more accurate,cleaner...i'd say loaded hotter than aussie.....i'm sitting on 2 cases of port FNM 80/11 and 6 cases of aussie 83' and 89',...the new aussie in blister packs are berdan ,nonre-loadable....i doubt very much you will see boxer primed at these prices

LONGHUNTER
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Aussie .308 on Ammoman is berdan primed. I forget, berdan is not reloadable?
View Quote

You can reload it but it's not practical. Boxer primed is what most people consider reloadable.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have shot a lot (6 to 7 thousand rounds)and I find the port to be more consistant .Fal,hk 91 (real one) M1A and PTR 91 ,cetme. how do you find aussi to be better quality ?
View Quote

More consistant OAL
More consistant powder charge
More consistant bullet weight etc...
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I will take some apart and check it ,but as far as I can tell the port is slightly more accurate.it also is close to the last 2000 rounds of santa barbra i have left .If any one wants port they better get it now .
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

More consistant OAL
More consistant powder charge
More consistant bullet weight etc...
View Quote

JMO, in my (limited) experience, aussie and port appear to function equally well in my SA M1A Scout Squad.  Both (now that aussie is in blisters) are packaged in a watertight container.  I believe (no matter how much anyone may argue differently) that with military surplus ammunition, there is really NO WAY TO GUARANTEE that it did not spend some time in 'less than optimal' conditions.  Remeber, this is SURPLUS ammo, and had tome come from somewhere.  Therefore:

If you are looking for cheap plinking ammo, probably either one would be a good choice, but in general, the newer the manufacture, the less chance that the ammo was sitting in some hot warehouse in the desert somewhere.  So as long as there aren't reports of serious problems with a particular lot/source, I would pick the newest available, in this case Austrailian.

Also, if you are stocking up SHTF ammunition for a 7.62 by 51 rifle, I would shy away from any mil surplus stuff for the above reasons.  In my opinion, it is better to but a case lot of new manufacture BHA 150gr Noslers or WRA 150gr SBST (also a Nosler bullet by the way)  and store it carefully. (load it on strippers and bandoliers, then in GOOD quality ammo cans WITH DESSICANT)  Then 'rotate your stock' every 1-2 years.  If you are like me (paranoid as hell) then you don't mind spending the extra cash on good ammuntion for self efense.  Getting rid of the ammo is a good excuse to shoot a lot of rounds anyhow, something everyone who thinks they will use their rifle in a defensive mode should do on a regular basis anyway.

I realize that the above mentioned 7.62 rounds are not 'sealed', like nato stuff, but if stored properly, as noted above, water should't be a problem.  No matter what the circumstances, I would think twice before I loaded up my M1A with ammo that had been sitting in water, sealed or not.

As for 5.56 ammunition for defense / SHTF use, after reading for MANY hours, my opinion is that the BHA 77gr Nosler NATO loads compromise the least, especially if you have a mil-spec 5.56 barrel (1:7)

For 5.56 plinking I use the Federal LC XM193 - cheap and mil-spec.

Again, just my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Port shoots good.  However the copper plated [b]steel bullet[/b] makes me nervous about shooting it too much, Jethro!!

The plating on the Outer Diameter of the bullet is very thin.  I KNOW...  I cut a bullet myself, BILLY BOB!
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#16]
If i live long enough to burn out a rifle with port ammo I will just put a new barrel on it .
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top