Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2005 11:26:02 AM EDT
Anyone have pics or links to methods of attaching a basic GI issue  sling to a carbine with para cord. I checked out the Maryland site and didn’t see what I want.

Thanks, Quib
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I have done it on my deployments, and it all depends on how you plan on carrying it (eg. C/Q sling, patrol-in front sort of horizontal, bla, bla)      
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Nobody else?

Pics?

Links?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
There was a thread in the sling forum about this, but I can't find it at the moment.

Just be careful not to wrap the cord around the gas block as it may melt through if it gets to hot.

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#4]
or check DSG site

Check Here

you have to use your imagination some, but the IDF sling relies on the paracord attachment

EDIT: Here are the instructions: Down the page...enjoy!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.

I'm a fan of the KISS carbine and a fan of the basic GI issue sling.

The GI sling I recently purchased for my latest CAR light weight build seemed a bit shorter than normal. I thought a 550 para cord extension off the front sight base would help out and was in need of pics for ideas.

This is what I have at the moment. I'm still open for suggestions if there's a better method!

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks guys.

The GI sling I recently purchased for my latest CAR light weight build seemed a bit shorter than normal. I thought a 550 para cord extension off the front sight base would help out and was in need of pics for ideas.

This is what I have at the moment. I'm still open for suggestions if there's a better method!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/AR520/paracordsling.jpg

That will melt under sustained fire.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks guys.

One of the $5 "top sling adapter" kits will get you the same effect- it has a metal clip that latches onto the front sight base (plus a strap that works on the stock) and it won't melt under heavy fire.  And if you don't want the metal clip grinding against the metal sight base, you can always dip the one end in that "plastic handle" goop you can get at the hardware store.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
One of the $5 "top sling adapter" kits will get you the same effect- it has a metal clip that latches onto the front sight base (plus a strap that works on the stock) and it won't melt under heavy fire.  And if you don't want the metal clip grinding against the metal sight base, you can always dip the one end in that "plastic handle" goop you can get at the hardware store.

I thought about one of those, had them installed on the M16/M203's I carried in the Army. The plastic dip stuff is a good idea!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm not so sure about that. The Israeli military slings mount in the same fashion using paracord.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Wrap some 550 at the delta ring and a loop in the buttstock. Attach the issue sling and you got a good ready/patrol method. That's what I do on deployments.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I solved the problem of the short, crappy nylon, “spoda be” mil-spec sling! I stopped by the Army Surplus Store today and picked up a 54” BDU belt which is the same width as the GI sling and more like the material the slings were made of back in the 80’s when I served in the Army, so, no need for the 550 cord extension!

Genius aint it!
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone know where I can actually get my hands on some of this magical 550 para cord?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks guys.

That's what I do, except I tie a knot around the sight base whereas you have a loop.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Anyone know where I can actually get my hands on some of this magical 550 para cord?

I picked mine up at Lowes. They had it discounted because they no longer carried it. I’ve seen it at sporting goods stores like Gander Mountain, Sportsmans Warehouse, ect. ect. You can always Google it and find online surplus dealers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I attach mine like above but knock out the swivel and loop through there as well.Then I figure 8 the cord on the telestock opening and attach to the upper loop,double corded.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not so sure about that. The Israeli military slings mount in the same fashion using paracord.

I don't think I would want to find out the had way, if that front sight heats up you may have problems, and if the 550 cord comes in contact with a hot barrel it will definitely melt.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=40360
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Why would you even want to do this?  You can get a real 3 point sling from Spectre Gear for about $35.  A sling is a life safety tool...why get cheap when you already paid 800-1200 for the rifle.  Whats another 30 bucks?  

Its like buying a nice car and then putting crappy gas in it or junk tires...  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#19]
My idea would be either clipping the front sling swivel or:

loop around forward part of handguard, then used to tie down the swivel, back to front of forearm.

Voilá! No hot part touched, swivel silenced, no alteration of gun and side mounted sling ...

My only problem is it looks cheap - which I don´t like!

H
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Why would you even want to do this?

Like I already stated:  

“The GI sling I recently purchased for my latest CAR light weight build seemed a bit shorter than normal. I thought a 550 para cord extension off the front sight base would help out and was in need of pics for ideas.”

You can get a real 3 point sling from Spectre Gear for about $35.  A sling is a life safety tool...why get cheap when you already paid 800-1200 for the rifle.  Whats another 30 bucks?

Again:    “I'm a fan of the KISS carbine and a fan of the basic GI issue sling.”

When it comes to 3 point slings,  “I’ve been there and done that.” Each time I revert back to the basic issue sling for it’s simplicity. I’m not one of those guys who likes all the “high speed” gear.

Its like buying a nice car and then putting crappy gas in it or junk tires...  

To each his own. And I'm no longer in need of the 550 cord sling extension:

"Well I solved the problem of the short, crappy nylon, “spoda be” mil-spec sling! I stopped by the Army Surplus Store today and picked up a 54” BDU belt which is the same width as the GI sling and more like the material the slings were made of back in the 80’s when I served in the Army, so, no need for the 550 cord extension!"
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:51:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It will, been there and done it.   So I wouldn't recommend attaching anything nylon to the front sight post because it will melt.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It will, been there and done it.   So I wouldn't recommend attaching anything nylon to the front sight post because it will melt.  

How about using some of that small diameter rubber/plastic covered metal cable @ the front attachment point ? The IDF must do a s-load of shooting, I would think if the cord were prone to
melting they would'nt be using the current method. Any feedback from the IDF guy on this site ? Ray
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about using some of that small diameter rubber/plastic covered metal cable @ the front attachment point ? The IDF must do a s-load of shooting, I would think if the cord were prone to
melting they would'nt be using the current method. Any feedback from the IDF guy on this site ? Ray

The coated cable would be fine.  I was on mag 10 on 3 round burst as fast as I could fire when I noticed the 550 had already melted.  On mag 13 I had to stop because I started to get cook off's.  Most will probably never get the barrel that hot but if you do 550 on the post will melt no problem.

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top