User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 9:50:18 PM EDT
any special tools needed for this?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#1]
It would help to know what a "flash protector" is, at least what kind you want to attach to an AR15.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL...Fair enough. Flash Hider. YHM 28A
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest threading it on by hand until snug, then tighten with a wrench.  That model doesn't require indexing so you really don't need that much torque on it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Alrighty. I was just curious if you needed anythign outside of a regular wrench some electrical tape or something on it. :) Appreciate it man.

Taking off a regular A2...just wrench it off I assume? (I'm getting a regular 16in upper...wanting to change flash hider and handguards...handguards I have under control...done those once or twice in the Army...flash suppressor not so much :) )
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Removing an existing FS might be more involved, depending on how it was originally attached.

Some companies use a considerable amount of torque when attaching FS, and a few will even use loctite.

Depending on how difficult it is to remove you may well need barrel blocks, a vise and a good strong wrench, and possibly a heat source (propane torch).  Or it might come loose by turning the fs with an adjustable wrench while holding the barrel in your hand.  You just don't know until you try.

Out of curiosity, what brand is it, and who put it together?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Spike's Tactical. Be in enroute in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#7]
If you know you're going to change the FS, just ask them to only hand tighten whatever muzzle device they are including when they assemble it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top