Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2005 9:15:56 PM EDT
I know this is a really basic question, basic enough that I couldn't find it in FAQs or search. How do you attach a scope to a flap top receiver?  Can you just use standard scope rings like you'd use on a weaver rail?  Or are there special picany rail rings?  Or an adapter that must be used?  Any input or links to reading on the subject would be greatly appeciated.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:25:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I know this is a really basic question, basic enough that I couldn't find it in FAQs or search. How do you attach a scope to a flap top receiver?  Can you just use standard scope rings like you'd use on a weaver rail?  Or are there special picany rail rings?  Or an adapter that must be used?  Any input or links to reading on the subject would be greatly appeciated.  Thanks in advance.

There are as many mounting solutions as there are scope/ring combos....LOTS.

How long is your scope?
How much eye relief does it have
Are you shooting from a bench?  Prone?
Do you need a QD setup, or are the rings on to stay?
Do you like to shoot nose to charging handle, or prefer to be back a bit?

Those are some of the things to consider when deciding what to do..but you really need to pic a scope first.

LaRue makes a great product, if it's in your budget.  I've got the mount shown in Grant's pic...it's a very nice piece of equipment.  LaRue also makes standard scope mounts and rings, so there are other options within the LaRue line.  

And, there are other manufacturers our there besides LaRue, as well.  

It all starts with the scope first, though.  Pic that, and then go from there.  There's a big difference picking a mount for a 14" scope and a 9" scope, even before you take into account the difference in their eye relief.  

To answer the easy part of your question, 99% of stuff that fits a Weaver rail will work on a picattinny rail as well, assuming the rail itself is within specs.    

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:33:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the excellent replies, that's what I needed to know!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had an A.R.M.S. 5 mount on one of my flat-tops for  about 7 years.  You attach the mount to the flat-top and the normal scope rings to it.  It's been holding a Leupold Vari-X 3.5x10 scope for the whole time.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top