Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2004 5:43:12 PM EDT
I strolled through the gunshow today and looked at 2 Oly prebans, both were 11.5/5.5 collapseable stock models.  One had a severely pitted up lower that was re-painted/coated and one looked pretty decent for a used rifle but nothing special.    The pitted up POS was $1200 and the other $1500.   Both table owners said these were rare and valuable prebans.   I mentioned that Monday there is NO ban and these are $400-600ish rifles.   Neither would listen to me on this one.   How could a gun guy have possibly missed the fact that the ban is DEAD????  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
they're just hoping for the one person that is less schooled than the rest.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
They likely didn't miss it, they were just hoping to find some sucker who did.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They likely didn't miss it, they were just hoping to find some sucker who did.

+1
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Think many are so used to the whole pre-ban, post-ban thing, they've forgotten that we had freedom to purchase these items legally only 10 short years ago.

Spoke with an officer where I worked who indicated his concern about these "FULL AUTO ASSAULT RIFLES" that will be legal soon!  Of course he's only 25 and grew up, during his young adult years, with the ban in place.

Gonna take some people some time to get re-adjusted to the freedom again.

Oh yeah... and I set him straight about the ACTUAL results of the AWB and what was really covered and how pathetic and silly it was.  "But the crime rate went down!?!"  "Yeah, thats because virtually every state in US went to three strikes laws and have been actually enforcing them to some extent.  The bad guys/gals are off the streets...10% of the populace commits 90% of the crime...HELLO!!"

Cheers!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Gonna take some people some time to get re-adjusted to the freedom again.

That's what I'm afraid of.

[Monday morning Brewsky walks in to Gart Sports, (I know I know, Gart Sports isn't the best place to buy weapons accessories) asks the clerk behind the counter for LE marked Hi-caps. OMG! OMG! Call the feds, this guy is trying to buy killer restricted death clips!]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#6]
dupe
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
They are trying to blood-suck as many unwitting laymen
as they can, one day before the ban dies-

I seriously wont be surpirsed if I see them going for $1,300+
at Michigan gunshows-even after the ban dies
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Have a show in my area(Hawkeye Downs-Cedar Rapids) this weekend and plan on going tomorrow. Most of the  dealers/sellers are high price sellers to begin with. It might be fun messin' with some of them. Especially if an old buddy goes along. They always piss him off with their prices.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#10]
What did the old prophet for profit P.T. Barnum always say?  "Theres a sucker born every minute"
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#11]
For the first few months Pre Clinton weapons will still draw a premium in those states like mine that will not see the sunset .  Hopefully another Ban wont come along and eventually in a year or so everyone who needs a pre ban will have one and then the prices will drop to what they should be for 10+ year old weapon .
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:45:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I strolled through the gunshow today and looked at 2 Oly prebans, both were 11.5/5.5 collapseable stock models.  One had a severely pitted up lower that was re-painted/coated and one looked pretty decent for a used rifle but nothing special.    The pitted up POS was $1200 and the other $1500.   Both table owners said these were rare and valuable prebans.   I mentioned that Monday there is NO ban and these are $400-600ish rifles.   Neither would listen to me on this one.   How could a gun guy have possibly missed the fact that the ban is DEAD????  

Yeah, some of the old timers I know at the shows I work were stilling pricing Oly pre bans at $1500 in May. I relentlessly made fun of them for believeing the earth is still flat. This is why I never bought pre bans during the ban.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:22:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Some of these guys got in to the prebans thet they have now at pretty high prices...remember, this has been going on for 10 years. They don't want to have to face the fact that their inventory of these things will takre a serious devaluation on Monday. My opinion, FWIW is that if I were in this position, I'd be trying desperately to either find a chumpto buy mine, or trade a chump for some handguns or hunting rifles fast! But that's just me. I will lose some money myself on Monday although I am not a dealer, but I consider it money well lost!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#14]
someasshat in the local classifieds is doing just that,,,, 1,900 for a oly preban, he has dropped to 1,400 in a few weeks, his ads were getting desperate sounding, it was funny to wqtch week to week
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:33:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
"But the crime rate went down!?!"  "Yeah, thats because virtually every state in US went to three strikes laws and have been actually enforcing them to some extent.  The bad guys/gals are off the streets...10% of the populace commits 90% of the crime...HELLO!!"

Don't forget all the states that have enacted concealed carry laws since the ban went into effect. A lot more guns LEGALLY on the streets means criminal are more careful about committing crimes. Florida passed their CCW law and the muggers started identifying their next victim by looking for rental cars (tourists).
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:04:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"But the crime rate went down!?!"  "Yeah, thats because virtually every state in US went to three strikes laws and have been actually enforcing them to some extent.  The bad guys/gals are off the streets...10% of the populace commits 90% of the crime...HELLO!!"

Don't forget all the states that have enacted concealed carry laws since the ban went into effect. A lot more guns LEGALLY on the streets means criminal are more careful about committing crimes. Florida passed their CCW law and the muggers started identifying their next victim by looking for rental cars (tourists).

But what are they going to do when the tourist turns out to be someone from a state that Fla. has reciprocal CCW permit laws with, like Georgia. I pity the poor bastard who tries something like that w/me when I go down to visit my brother
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:35:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But what are they going to do when the tourist turns out to be someone from a state that Fla. has reciprocal CCW permit laws with, like Georgia. I pity the poor bastard who tries something like that w/me when I go down to visit my brother

Fortunately for us, there is no requirement for criminals that they have degrees in rocket science. I think most of the muggers in Florida finally figured it out and moved to states without CCW laws.
I intended only to add an item that greatly reduced the crime rate, and which was overlooked in the original response. It also happens to be a positive thing for us armed citizens.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm looking forward to the shows this fall, it's going to be interesting.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Talked to a local dealer bout three weeks ago. Asked what he thought was going to happen to the price of three pre-bans (2 colts, 1 bushy) and any post ban guns still sitting on the shelf after the ban went away. He said they don't expect any change in prices. The local shops are looking for those suckers too. I'd hate to have a bunch of money tied up in pre-bans and post-bans tomorrow.

I'm betting it's gonna be another month before we start seeing a price drop though. Hey that might be a good topic for a new post.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Did you at least get some pre-ban Jerkey?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#21]
The level of dishonesty exhibited by supposed members of the "gun community" nauseates me!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#22]
U should have screamed out DAMN are you joking man! LOL
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Didn't want to get crossways with em. Was working on a deal on a 1911. When they wouldn't go where I wanted on that one, then I should have yelled it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#24]
The next fun show around here is next month.  It is going to be real interesting to see who is still trying to screw over people by using "pre-ban" as a selling point.  Especially because there are a few people off ARF that sell there.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am going to have a hard time treating anyone overly nice if they are still trying to rape people after the ban is over.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What did the old prophet for profit P.T. Barnum always say?  "Theres a sucker born every minute"

That's a myth....he never said it.  But, it's still a true sentiment.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The next fun show around here is next month.  It is going to be real interesting to see who is still trying to screw over people by using "pre-ban" as a selling point.  Especially because there are a few people off ARF that sell there.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am going to have a hard time treating anyone overly nice if they are still trying to rape people after the ban is over.

I feel the same way. Next week is the Little Rock show and I am going to be real vocal if I see that crap.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Fuck those gun show losers, they are going down. They can stick them high $$ guns up there ass.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Come on Roverboy, let's go hunting!

I got skinned really bad with my first AR, I paid nearly $700 including tax for an HBAR from an "authorized Colt dealer" in '89. He was the only local dealer that had any when I had the money. It's sad that inflation pushed that price into the "reasonable" category.

A friend of a friend I met a year ago moaming about the value of all his prebans he bought for God-awful amounts were going to go down to half and a third of what he paid for them. He was hoping that the ban wouldn't sunset to protect his investment. It was all I could do to keep from slapping him, but we were in public...He was hopeful though, he had some "preban" stripped receivers he was going to build as "preban rifles" if the ban continued...what a maroon.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#29]
We have a gun show in October. I'm gonna laugh at the first guy I see with a beat up AR on his table for $600.00 and higher. Hell, I may get kicked out for it
F@#K YOU DIANE FEINSTEIN, CHARLES SCHUMER, BILL CLINTON,
MIKE DEWINE, GEORGE VOINOVICH, ET AL...  

WE WIN.........YOU LOSE!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Spoke with an officer where I worked who indicated his concern about these "FULL AUTO ASSAULT RIFLES" that will be legal soon!  Of course he's only 25 and grew up, during his young adult years, with the ban in place.

Hehe, I was ten when the AWB was put in place; like I cared then. Lets just keep the AWB dead. I want to be able to buy "correct" firearms (and the magazines that go with them) when I turn 21, and as my checkbook grows bigger.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#31]
last gunshow (sunday) i went to had Oly Plinkers for $900.  Course most people dont know thats a rip-off anyway around here.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#32]
hustlers
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:11:37 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I sometimes swear some asshole dealers voted for Clinton cause he sure made the dealers a lot of money....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top