Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2009 3:56:09 AM EDT
At first I thought this was a dumb question & wasn't even going to post it.  But after thinking about it (that's my problem) I am not so sure if it is dumb or not.

Let's say the ballistics chart for my rifle shows at 200 yards zero my bullet strikes the target 2.0 inches high at 100 yards & 1.0 inch high at 50 yards.
If I sight my rifle in at a 50 yard range and the bullet is striking 1.0 inch high, will it strike dead on at 200?
It sounds so simple the answer would be yes,  but is it?
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:05:56 AM EDT
[#1]
yes
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:06:26 AM EDT
[#2]
yes
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 5:08:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
At first I thought this was a dumb question & wasn't even going to post it.  But after thinking about it (that's my problem) I am not so sure if it is dumb or not.

Let's say the ballistics chart for my rifle shows at 200 yards zero my bullet strikes the target 2.0 inches high at 100 yards & 1.0 inch high at 50 yards.
If I sight my rifle in at a 50 yard range and the bullet is striking 1.0 inch high, will it strike dead on at 200?

Yup, thats why people often refer to it as the 50/200 zero.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 5:22:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Zeroed 1" high and 50 and dead on at 200 yards. I doubt it would be dead on but it should be close. You still might need to fine tune the 200 yard zero. Ballistic charts are a guide, there are too many variables to say it will be dead on.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not.  A 50/200 yard zero will have the point of impact dead on at 50 yards; not 1" high at 50 yards.  A trajectory that is 1" high at 50 yards is going to have a far zero of almost 300 yards, not 200 yards.

1" high at 50 yards

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not.  A 50/200 yard zero will have the point of impact dead on at 50 yards; not 1" high at 50 yards.  A trajectory that is 1" high at 50 yards is going to have a far zero of almost 300 yards, not 200 yards.

1" high at 50 yards
http://www.box.net/shared/static/0pdx83iv77.bmp

I agree with what you say...

But he never said what he was shooting. He just said "If my ballistic charts says". So the trajectory of what he is shooting could match the numbers he posted.

I think he just wanted to know if he could sight in using the close zero and have match dead on with the far zero.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1" high at 50 yards
http://www.box.net/shared/static/0pdx83iv77.bmp

I agree with what you say...

But he never said what he was shooting. He just said "If my ballistic charts says". So the trajectory of what he is shooting could match the numbers he posted.

I think he just wanted to know if he could sight in using the close zero and have match dead on with the far zero.  

I never said  his numbers didn't match what he was shooting.  I said that a 1" high at 50 yards zero, is not a 50/200 yard zero.  1" high at 50 yards is not a 50 yard zero not matter what you're shooting and for a typical AR-15 set-up (the name of this site is AR15.com) 1" high at 50 yards will not be a 200 yard zero; it's going to be a 300 yard zero.

1" high at 50 yards
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
One more time...

He didn't say what he was shooting....what if he's shooting something that matches those numbers?

You are basing your reply on M193...he might be shooting a civil war canon.

And even if we stick to the AR...post a chart of 40 grain and 75 grain bullets. But...we still don't know the velocity so it's still just a circle jerk.

He said "what if".

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#9]
As a person who runs slightly raised optics this 50/200 (more like 50/225 I think) zero assumes the standard height irons/optics are being used.

If you run slightly raised optics, the arch will be pronounced meaning that a 50yard zero might be 250 yards on the flip side.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One more time...

He didn't say what he was shooting....what if he's shooting something that matches those numbers?

One more time, I didn't say anything about the OP's numbers.  What part of 1" high at 50 yards, is not a 50 yards zero, no matter what the fuck you are shooting, don't you understand?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top