Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/20/2003 2:02:37 PM EDT
What is the federal law regarding assembling high capacity AR15/M16 magazines (or any other high cap mag for that matter) using pre-ban mag bodies?  For example, you have a pre-ban AR15/M16 mag body (stamped/dated as such), is it legal, under federal law, to assemble the follower, spring, and floorplate to make a working magazine?  This is a gray area to me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, that's legal.

It is not legal to create new magazines. For instance, you could not buy post ban "replacement part" mag bodies, replace the preban bodies on your magazine collection, then put new guts into the old bodies. Rule of thumb is you can't finish with more magazines than you started with.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Are post ban made bodies stamped/dated?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Post ban mag bodies are [i]supposed[/i] to be marked "LEO/Military Only" by statute.  Center failed to comply with this mandate, but did stamp month and year of manufacture on the mag bodies to indicate postban status (9/94 and later).

Bud
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top