BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 2:33:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
All ARs will cost the same as it should be, there won't be a two tiered price structure which was un-constitutional (violation of the second ammendment) to begin with.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:27:58 AM EDT
[#2]
In general, prices never go down much.......shame but the way it is.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:40:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Why buy pre-94 when you can buy NEW after Sept/04?  I think pre-94 lowers will suddenly drop from $800 to $125 where they belong; and, I expect a run on non-neutered uppers for awhile. Me included. [beer]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:18:48 AM EDT
[#4]
This has been a hot topic of discussion on this board for quite some time. I have been reading posts with quotes from television stating that the president will approve another ban and also that he will let it sunset. I think noone knows for sure, we will just have to wait ad see. I will probably play it safe and wait until right before Sept. 04 when the price will be at it's lowest for pre-bans, and then I'll buy one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:31:20 AM EDT
[#5]
The price will crash.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:58:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:08:17 AM EDT
[#7]
They retain some value in the states that have bans of their own:  NY, CT, etc... (CA if registered)

I predict that preban owners from "free" states will sell their's at a discount to those who live in banned states.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The price will crash.
View Quote

... Would be fine by me. I've lost money before and I can deal with that. Losing FREEDOM is a completely different thing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:33:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Really, there are some states where the Pre-ban could be important even if the crime bill dies?  Hell, I may just consider helping a brother out if this happens?

Otherwise, my Colts will not drop in value much as I am not selling.  I plan to fill some gaps in my collection as fast as possible as even if I don't really need something like an AR-10 PISTOL... I sure as hell want to build one before some ass makes it impossible for me to do it again!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:45:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, unless we get CT to dump their state AWB, certain "preban" types will still be no-no's.

Well, at least BM and Armalite aren't on the list! Sorry Colt.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They retain some value in the states that have bans of their own:  NY, CT, etc... (CA if registered)

I predict that preban owners from "free" states will sell their's at a discount to those who live in banned states.
View Quote

Not in Connecticut! Weapons are Banned by name not by feature. All weapons that are on the Naughty list had to be registered and can no longer be transfered in state. There is nothing on the books to prevent someone from putting a Pre-Ban upper on a Post-Ban lower in CT if the Federal AW Ban sunsets. Actually a Pre-Ban Colt lower would be worth LESS in Connecticut since the Colt AR15 and Sporter are on the Naughty list, therefore it would have no marketability in state.

Section 53-202a of the Connecticut General Statutes gives the definition, and an itemized list of what weapons are considered Assault Weapons.

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition.

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: List of Assault Weapons

Who may possess Assault Weapons in Connecticut?

Law enforcement and military personnel may possess Assault Weapons in connection with their official duties, and any person who has a Certificate of Possession issued by the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit may possess the Assault Weapon listed on their certificate.

Can I get a Certificate of Possession for my Assault Weapon now?

No. The only exceptions to this would be a person who has been out of state serving in the military prior to October 1994, or a person who receives an Assault Weapon through bequeath or intestate succession providing the weapon already had a certificate. In these instances, the person has 90 days to register the weapon with the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit

I just moved into Connecticut and I possess an Assault Weapon. May I keep the weapon or if not what are my options?

Within 90 days of moving to Connecticut, you may sell the weapon to any licensed gun dealer, or you must do one of the following;

1) render the weapon permanently inoperable,
2) sell it to an out of state dealer,
3) relinquish the weapon to a law enforcement agency.

If you choose to keep the weapon you risk felony arrest.

I never registered my Assault Weapon, What are my options?

You can only render it permanently inoperable, or relinquish it to a law enforcement agency.

Can Connecticut gun dealers buy or sell Assault Weapons?

A licensed gun dealer may purchase any Assault Weapon that has a Certificate of Possession, or any Assault weapon that has been transferred into Connecticut as part of someone’s personal belongings for less than 90 days. The dealer may then sell them to other dealers, law enforcement agencies, or out of state.

Can Police Officers buy Assault Weapons?

No. Police Departments can buy them and give them to their officers to use, although the individual officers cannot buy Assault Weapons.

Firearms-Assault Weapons List

Algimec Agmi
Armalite AR-180
Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol
Auto-Ordnance Thompson type
Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type
Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1
Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol
Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88
Colt AR-15 and Sporter
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2
Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45
Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC
FAMAS MAS 223
Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT
Federal XC-900 and XC-450
Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12
Galil AR and ARM
Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol
Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89
Holmes MP-83
MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type
Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion
Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000
Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only
Scarab Skorpion
SIG 57 AMT and 500 series
Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol
Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3
Sterling MK-6 and MK-7
Steyr AUG
Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns
USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol
Weaver Arms Nighthawk
Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol

or

A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a
firearm into an assault weapon, or any combination of parts from
which an assault weapon may be rapidly assembed if those parts
are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#12]
You don't need to get too worked up !!!!
The AWB will stay in effect and is not going any where !!!!
Let's just hope it does not get worst !!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#13]
[b]The AWB will stay in effect and is not going any where !!!![/b]

Not to get into a debate on this thread, but it has more of chance of ending than being extended.  Unless you have a crystal ball the word "will" seems a little to strong!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#14]
It doesn't really matter. I bought prebans I wanted and I shoot them. If you paid a fair price, it will be like a car that you buy and drive. There will be no more SP1's as an example. Other models will not be made and therefore will have value.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#15]
No question for me.  I bought mine to shoot, not as investments so I'll keep mine.  Got a pretty good deal on them anyway, and they are Colt's.  I would like to get a Green Label, so hopefully if the prices do go down I can pick one up for a reasonable price.  I think though that for collectors the pre ban colts may well stay fairly high, simply for the fact that I'm sure they aren't going to start rollmarking AR-15 A2 on them again, if they try to sell much to civilians anyway.  And unfortunately preban AK's and HK's and such still won't go down. Darn it!...:-)
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#16]
They will go up. Period. Today, AWB dies now there is a line out the door for factory unbanned bushies, Dealers will jack the price, same with uppers and barrels. Come on, we live in greedy america.
GG
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top