Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2004 12:33:56 PM EDT
I have a question. If I am not mistaken, the "pre-ban" receivers on the market today are physically different than the post ban receivers. When (not if in my books) the AWB expires, will they switch back to making the "pre-ban" style receevers? I am looking into getting a receiver when the ban expires, and an curious if I should wait until companies start producing the "pre ban" style receivers. Also, I am considering finishing an 80% receiver. Since these are not registered, how would I make sure if I made one that its date of manufacture is verifiable, so that if there is another ban there is not a question as to when I made it? Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]
There is absolutely NO physical difference between pre and post ban receivers.
Lower or upper.

Unless you are referring to the sear blocked Colts which changed not because of the "AWB".

I know of no difference, physical or visual to receivers. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think so.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, that is what I needed to know. Anyone know about the 80% question?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Lower or upper.

Unless you are referring to the sear blocked Colts which changed not because of the "AWB".

I know of no difference, physical or visual to receivers. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think so.

HS1

what he said
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I believe they are not finished, and u need to cut some holes in them, and they cost more than a striped lower, i dont think they have serials on them. i you buy one and make into a firearms, and dont register it, you may lose you ownership privileges.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe they are not finished, and u need to cut some holes in them, and they cost more than a striped lower, i dont think they have serials on them. i you buy one and make into a firearms, and dont register it, you may lose you ownership privileges.

Complete, absolute, unaldulterated bullshit.  Its perfectly legal to machine your own receiver, no serial number or ridiculous registration required.  Please don't spread bullshit.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends how many holes you drill in it to 'finish' it.

Too many and you will certainly go to pound-you-in-the-ass prison if the ATF finds out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Complete, absolute, unaldulterated bullshit.  Its perfectly legal to machine your own receiver, no serial number or ridiculous registration required.  Please don't spread bullshit.

Wow.  I had no idea we were free to manufacture firearms in the U.S. without a license.  That simple, huh?  How about that?

We are free to build them for personal use, just don't make the mistake of ever trying to sell one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow.  I had no idea we were free to manufacture firearms in the U.S. without a license.  That simple, huh?  How about that?

We are free to build them for personal use, just don't make the mistake of ever trying to sell one.

More wive's tales.  You can sell one if you want/need to.  You just aren't supposed to manufacture with intent to sell... its for personal use as indicated above.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, see ../BuildItYourself.

A lot of what goes on there is home machinists making AR15s, AR10s, 1911, Aks, etc.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#12]
The big question for me is how to make sure that if I make my own receiver, that I have a way to verify when it was made, so it has the correct pre-ban/post-ban status. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Lower or upper.

HS1

Entirely correct....
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Lower or upper.

HS1

what he said
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

... Not true. Serial numbers
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's next? Differences at the quantum level?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's next? Differences at the quantum level?

... Was not meaning to come across as a smart-alec, just to emphasize that that was the ONLY feature making the difference from legality and a criminal record
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top