Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 6:56:38 AM EST
What I would like to accomplish:
- Assemble an AR for 50/50 bench/shoulder shooting at 100/50 yard ranges.
- Looking for no greater than 1.0 MOA (bench).
- Want flat top w/ scope.
- Limited to $750 (before scope/mount).

What I plan to do (based on postings read):
- Buy Bushmaster stripped or complete lower.
- Buy J&T 20" bull barrel upper or kit with free float handguard.
- Will work on trigger as funds become available.

Am I on track to accomplish my goal? Is there a better way to get there? Am I making any big errors? Thanks in advance!!

John
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:44:19 AM EST
Recommend a Rock River stripped lower and parts kit. Will save you about $50. I looked at the JT kit, it looks pretty decent though. Try the RRA dual stage trigger, or maybe a jewel or JP trigger.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:51:03 AM EST
Thanks medicmandan. I guess no one else wants to give the new guy a hand....
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 12:53:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/8/2003 12:59:34 PM EST by GunCat]
I can't tell you much about your components, my experience is limited to a Olympic barrel and EA lower. But I will say this: When you go for the benched group testing try some quality ammo first. When I put together a 16" flatop this summer the first groups off the bench were sub-minute. This was using some handloaded bolt gun ammo I had worked up with IMR4985 and good Sierra 60 grain HP bullets. I was freakin' amazed at my new gun. Then I opened up the White box Q1313ABR549 (whatever it is) 55 grain FMJ from WallyWorld and started having +3" groups. If I had started with that cheap ammo I sure would have been a less than happy camper with the new gun and the groups I shot. Oh yeah, I did float the barrel from the get go (Hogue CAR forend) and later install a JP adjustable trigger and speedhammer. IMHO money well spent in both cases.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:33:04 PM EST
Call or email Tommy at Georgia Precision (GPSS) and see what his ideas are. He might have an underpriced upper sitting around.
Top Top