Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/27/2006 5:12:03 AM EDT
I'm researching the ARMS 40L SP and the TROY folding rear battle sight.
I need the skinny on these two, are there problems with either, does the ARMS
have any problems staying zeroed since it does not lock, etc.
Lay it on me so I can make an educated decision.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:32:51 AM EDT
[#1]
You might want to do a search.  

There's a multi-page thread about the Troy rear sights being out of spec / canted.  It didn't look like Troy was doing much to fix the problem (a shim and some epoxy was offered as a fix).  I was preparing to order a set of their flip-up sights for my latest build.  I'm glad that I stumbled across that thread.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you think of the ARMS 40L SP? I read in another thread
that it doesn't hold zero sometimes because it doesn't lock.
I could be wrong on this. It was in a sight thread as a side note,
but I don't remember which thread.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#3]
i have never had an issue with the arms buis not holding zero because it doesnt lock in place.

i have also never had any problems zeroing my troy buis or problems with canting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I own both the Troy and the ARMS #40. Both are good sights that will do the job; but I prefer the Troy sight (though the ARMS sight is cheaper).

On both sights I loctite everything with threads. As a result, I never had any problem with my ARMS #40 although I have seen them lose locknuts when not loctited.

The Troy doesn't deploy as fast as the ARMS because it isn't spring loaded. On the other hand, the Troy also doesn't become unusable if debris, mud or a barrier stops the spring from deploying the sight to its full position.

You can't shear off the ARMS sight by whacking it really hard against something because the spring will let it bend. On the other hand, if you manage to hit a Troy sight hard enough to shear it off or damage it; chances are excellent your rifle is pretty well hosed in an area besides the sight.

Just in terms of fit, finish and attention to detail, the Troy sight is better made; but I would be happy to use either one. I've made shots out to 500yds with the ARMS #40 and never had any issues with zero shift.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I own both the Troy and the ARMS #40. Both are good sights that will do the job; but I prefer the Troy sight (though the ARMS sight is cheaper).

On both sights I loctite everything with threads. As a result, I never had any problem with my ARMS #40 although I have seen them lose locknuts when not loctited.

The Troy doesn't deploy as fast as the ARMS because it isn't spring loaded. On the other hand, the Troy also doesn't become unusable if debris, mud or a barrier stops the spring from deploying the sight to its full position.

You can't shear off the ARMS sight by whacking it really hard against something because the spring will let it bend. On the other hand, if you manage to hit a Troy sight hard enough to shear it off or damage it; chances are excellent your rifle is pretty well hosed in an area besides the sight.

Just in terms of fit, finish and attention to detail, the Troy sight is better made; but I would be happy to use either one. I've made shots out to 500yds with the ARMS #40 and never had any issues with zero shift.

I've seen the thread showing a 'cant' in the Troy sight. Do you have
that problem, and does anyone know if Troy rectified this problem?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=18
AR-15 •  Optics, Mounts, and Sights •  Have an issue with my new Troy sight
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
AR-15 •  Optics, Mounts, and Sights •  Have an issue with my new Troy sight

Rectified or luck, and as just mentioned in the Troy thread, I just got a Troy front and rear BUIS set and there is no cant on either.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've found the opposite.  The spring catch on the ARMS is hard for me to operate, especially with gloves.  The Troy is a quick flip with the weak hand.  Very fast.  

Agreed.  The ARMS stuff IS pretty nice, but I like the no-nonsense mil-spec-ness of the Troy sights.  

Either sight is a high quality piece, but I prefer the Troy.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my Troy, no canting on mine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My Troy sight has no cant at all. As a result, I haven't really followed the issue and don't know whether Troy rectified the problem (or whether there was a recurring problem that needed to be rectified).

I find if I buy from certain dealers with established reputations (*cough*MSTN*cough*), they do a pretty good job of making sure I never see the odd lemon from a manufacturer in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I recently received a set of Troy BUIS from Denny at GTS. The locking block on the left side of the sight base has been TOTALLY redesigned to eliminate any chances of canting issues. No shims, etc. just a newly designed part. I also HAVE NOT noticed any shift in left-right POI when changing between the small and large aperture.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an ARMS #40L and ARMS #40 A2.  I have never had an issue with either, and both are excellent sites.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Troy

Tack
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#15]
i have seen a canted troy and it shot dead on
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the Troy and am very happy with it.  Mine does cant to the left a little, but so did the GG&G MAD I had before.  I am using the sight on a Colt M4 upper that I assume is mil-spec.  If you have an upper that has a slighly larger than mil-spec rail then the sight will probably be less likely to cant.  Troy has to take into account manufacturing differences between companies to make sure that their product will work on a wide range of flat top uppers.  The cant doesn't really bother me, but it can be fixed with a little adhesive and an old soda can if it really bothers you.

Kevin
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm researching the ARMS 40L SP and the TROY folding rear battle sight.
I need the skinny on these two, are there problems with either, does the ARMS
have any problems staying zeroed since it does not lock, etc.
Lay it on me so I can make an educated decision.

I had both and they were all very good.  I decided to sell my back up sights, since I didn't need them and used the money to purchase a Leica Rangefinder.  My point is unless you really need them, save your money.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I had both and they were all very good.  I decided to sell my back up sights, since I didn't need them and used the money to purchase a Leica Rangefinder.  My point is unless you really need them, save your money.

You're entitled to your opinion.   But how do you know when your really going to need it until its to late?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:38:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how

I agree with what you are saying, but I have an IOR 2x12-32 and I really don't need backups unless i totally wack the shit out of the scope.  If somethings happens then I take out my .45.  I am in law enforcement so I won't be putting my weapon/scope through a lot of rough situations like when I was in the Army.  I also like the Leupold CQT since it is built tough and it doesn't relly on batteries.  But this is just my opinion.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#20]

I decided to sell my back up sights, since I didn't need them and used the money to purchase a Leica Rangefinder.  My point is unless you really need them, save your money.

I am in law enforcement so I won't be putting my weapon/scope through a lot of rough situations like when I was in the Army.  

I sure hope this isn't on a duty weapon!  Most agencies require BUIS for a reason.

I've been using a Troy rear BUIS for about a year.  Very solid, high quality and easy to deploy.  I like the same plane aperture on the Troy.  I also have a couple ARMS #40's in service as well.  If money isn't an object, my preference is for the Troy, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the ARMS either.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:48:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Thamks to all for taking the time to input. It sounds like
both the ARMS and TROY are fine picks. When spending
the money, I want to make a good choice. I'm also taking
the profile into consideration. How well does the TROY
lay down out of the way? The ARMS looks pretty low prifle
when folded down. Anyone have a pic of the TROY folded down?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:21:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I decided to sell my back up sights, since I didn't need them and used the money to purchase a Leica Rangefinder.  My point is unless you really need them, save your money.

I am in law enforcement so I won't be putting my weapon/scope through a lot of rough situations like when I was in the Army.  

I sure hope this isn't on a duty weapon!  Most agencies require BUIS for a reason.

I've been using a Troy rear BUIS for about a year.  Very solid, high quality and easy to deploy.  I like the same plane aperture on the Troy.  I also have a couple ARMS #40's in service as well.  If money isn't an object, my preference is for the Troy, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the ARMS either.  

No, it isn't a duty weapon.  If it was then I'd get the back-ups.  The part that pisses me off is that I asked my department if I could use it as my back-up.  I'd was even willing to pay for the ammunition or anything else required and they said no.  But that is another issue for a different day.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I had an ARMS 40A2 and liked it. But I replaced it with a Troy. No problems with mine. Whichever one you use, remember to put some loc-tite on the screw when you mount it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Please correct me if I am mistaken [wouldn't be the first time], but isn't one of the biggest differences between the two that the ARMS deploys with the small aperture in place, whereas the Troy deploys with the large aperture?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Please correct me if I am mistaken [wouldn't be the first time], but isn't one of the biggest differences between the two that the ARMS deploys with the small aperture in place, whereas the Troy deploys with the large aperture?

that and the fact that the troy is locked in place and the arms is spring tension held in place.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#26]
The Troy is about $50 more expensive than the ARMS. Both do their job equally fine. I have an ARMS backing up my ACOG. IF the ACOG ever goes TU, (a very small chance) I would not feel out of luck for having to rely upon my ARMS. It would be used until the fight was over or I could replace the ACOG with my Aimpoint.
For shooting evil, loathsome paper, you would be equally served by either sight. Hell, for a year or two I did not even have a back up on my flat-top upper!!! The one time the battery died in my old Kobra, I calmly placed it on the bench, slowly stepped away from it, picked up my FAL and continued to shoot the shit out of that paper!

SCOUTS OUT
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Used both and the 40L has a short throw lever which is more difficult to deploy than the regular 40.  I prefer teh Troy and wont be using any more ARMS products for anything from here on in.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top