Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2002 8:48:00 AM EDT
Have flattop rra upper, went to put arms a2 flip-up sight on it. arms sight wont fit, is this normal.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Some of the RRA uppers were made out of spec
as a result the ARMS #40 will not fit.

IIRC ARMS warns that they only will guarantee Colt, some Bushmaster, Armalite.

IME DPMS will also fit

Diemaco will not nor will some of the "FN" uppers

FWIW - the new RRA should be in spec - and I do believe that they will exchange those that are not new or old.

-Kevin
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Uh oh...come Monday I hope mine fits or I will have one for sale :(
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same problem with my 2001 LEGP.  A little (very careful!)filing of the sight along with a couple of whacks of a rubber mallot solved the problem.

Rocko
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldnt start filing anything on the sight or the upper. Like CT said, Rock River did put out a series of out of spec flat tops, and IIRC, they will make it right. They should after the fiasco of a story they created to apparently try to cover their mistake! There's a quick way to do it (get the file out) and the right way to do it (make RRA get you a upper in spec.) And by my way of thinkning, anything worth doing is worth doing right.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Same thing happened to me. Call RRA and send it back you will have a new one in a week,thats of course if you remove the barrel yourself, if they switch it out it might be longer.
         FREE
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have flattop rra upper, went to put arms a2 flip-up sight on it. arms sight wont fit...

For my own curiosity, which part of the sight wouldn't fit??? Was it the square part of the clamp screw???
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 4:29:42 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, I'm not trying to call you an idiot, but I have to ask the question:  You are sliding it on from the rear after opening the locking block all the way, right?  I wouldn't ask except that I did the same thing with my ARMS swan sleeve; I actually had to remove the charging handle on my RRA upper to get that to go on.

Quoted:
Have flattop rra upper, went to put arms a2 flip-up sight on it. arms sight wont fit, is this normal.

Link Posted: 11/11/2002 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Called Rock River today,they stated they made about 4000 uppers that were out of spec, they wont exchange it.They would have if it was on a complete rifle, for the cost of labor.I asked if I sent it back stripped would they exchange it, they said no, guess I wont be buying anymore ROCK RIVER ARMS  products.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Tamboi - I would explain to RRA that you would as an AR15.com member would really appreaciate them fixing their problem - failing that...

Link Posted: 11/11/2002 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Did you try to slide it on from the rear?  Pull out the charging handle and slide it on.FYI

but I have to ask the question: You are sliding it on from the rear after opening the locking block all the way, right? I wouldn't ask except that I did the same thing with my ARMS swan sleeve; I actually had to remove the charging handle on my RRA upper to get that to go on.

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 6:39:32 AM EDT
[#11]
WOfWof, the upper is not mil-spec, tried sliding it on from the front and the rear. It doesn`t even look close to the firsch rail I have. As I said even Rock River acknowledge that they made several thousand out of spec uppers. I was unlucky to get one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:02:13 AM EDT
[#12]
ARMS only certifies their mounts work on Bushmaster, Colt's, or ArmaLite AR15s or USGI M16A4s or M4s.  They won't guarantee they'll work on anything else.

The fact that Rock River won't DX the upper receiver is nice to know.  Even Olympic will do this!

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Was the unit ADVERTISED as mil-spec?

If so, you know what to do.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I had the same problem when I mounted an ARMS 40 on my LEGP RRA 16".  About 30 minutes of filing one of the struts on the ARMS #40 and it slid on and locked in place.  As part of normal cleaning, I squirt a small amount of Breakfree/CLP on the filed surface to prevent rust.

I also seem to recall that ARMS will mount the optic for no charge if you send them the upper and the ARMS #40.  

Good Luck,

Spambo
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got a RRA 9mm setup for my M16 with an ARMS #40.  I had to push very hard to get the sight to go on, but it went.  I didn't have to hammer on it.

I was fearing that I got a bad one (RRA upper) but since then I've tried a couple of other accessories on my upper and they fit fine.

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Tell them you talked to a tech and that your EOtech sight wouldnt fit and he said you can return it,and they should switch it out, it worked for me.
  Good Luck, Joe

Quoted:
Called Rock River today,they stated they made about 4000 uppers that were out of spec, they wont exchange it.They would have if it was on a complete rifle, for the cost of labor.I asked if I sent it back stripped would they exchange it, they said no, guess I wont be buying anymore ROCK RIVER ARMS  products.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top