Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/1/2006 4:06:11 PM EDT
I'm looking at mount a 3-9X accupoint on an armalite one piece mount, does anybody know if the mount is high enough to make this possible without the objective hitting the handguards? (PRI CF tubeif that matters)
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw your post in the EE asking this. I belive that it will fit, I just ordered one of these mounts hoping that it will fit a leupold 3x9x50 scope.... If not you can always get YHM rail risers

If anyone knows if this will fit a 50mm objective scope please lmk also.

Thanks,
Josh
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll be fine.

It's high enough to mount a scope with a 56mm objective and the 3-9 accupoint is a 40mm

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You'll be fine.

It's high enough to mount a scope with a 56mm objective and the 3-9 accupoint is a 40mm

pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL77/858902/2267174/52171522.jpg

Awsome, Ill be holding you to that when the mount and my scope comes tomorrow and they dont fit LOL!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]
great, thanks. Does it feel too high, or is it comfortable?
Thanks again
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can get a good cheek weld with A1,A2 or removable carry handle irons, you will be right there with the Armalite.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
sweet, thanks guys this sounds like it should do the trick for me then...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the same scope, and mount, on an AR10, and it fits fine.  Cheek weld is perfect (in my opinion), and you can even fit a Knights 300m under the eyepiece if you want
Edited to add a pic, plenty of room:
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Joel, that looks perfect!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Mueller 4-16x50 in an Armalite mount on my AR10, but it won't fit on my AR15 with Daniel Defense rail.  You should be fine with the 40mm and PRi though.

I don't like the height of the Armalite one-piece on an AR15.  It's too low for me.  (Big head)  I actually like the Armalite on top of a 1/2" riser on an AR.  I prefer the height of the RRA scope mount.

Despite the belief, the Armalite mount is NOT "the same height as irons" on an AR15.  It's something like 0.15" lower.  The Armalite mount is the same height as the irons on an AR10, and is the perfect height on that platform IMHO.  

I know a lot of guys like the height of the mount on an AR15 and that's great, I'm not telling anyone they're wrong, but I'm definitely not the only one who thinks it's too low either.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I forgot I also have a pic of my 3x9 Accupoint on a RRA Varmint, with Armalite mount (I switched this scope to my AR10), but here is an old pic.  Personally it seems to be the same height on an AR15 as an AR10 to me (now that Onslaught made me measure it is actually .15 higher, measured from the top of the buttstock to the top of the upper, on the AR10)  For what it is worth, the cheek weld on either feels good to me.

Sorry the pic is not that good, old camera/pic
Edited to add, 18 inch midlength .936 barrel.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I forgot I also have a pic of my 3x9 Accupoint on a RRA Varmint, with Armalite mount (I switched this scope to my AR10), but here is an old pic.  Personally it seems to be the same height on an AR15 as an AR10 to me

It may seem that way, but there's no doubt that an AR10 flat-top is taller than an AR15 flat-top.  (you know how they've got different detachable sights for the 10 vs. 15?)  Pop over to the Armalite forum and ask.  Since that is definitely the case, the same mount attached to both flat-tops can't be the same height over bore.    

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong for liking your Armalite mount (I use one too) I just wanted to make sure that RolandofGilead got input and experiences from both sides.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I forgot I also have a pic of my 3x9 Accupoint on a RRA Varmint, with Armalite mount (I switched this scope to my AR10), but here is an old pic.  Personally it seems to be the same height on an AR15 as an AR10 to me

It may seem that way, but there's no doubt that an AR10 flat-top is taller than an AR15 flat-top.  (you know how they've got different detachable sights for the 10 vs. 15?)  Pop over to the Armalite forum and ask.  Since that is definitely the case, the same mount attached to both flat-tops can't be the same height over bore.    

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong for liking your Armalite mount (I use one too) I just wanted to make sure that RolandofGilead got input and experiences from both sides.

Onslaught's post made me get out the caliper, and he is right/I am wrong.  The AR-10 flat top is approx .15 inch higher than the AR-15 rail, however my cheek sure can't feel the difference.  Regardless an Accupoint on an Armalite mount will easily clear a free float hand guard as can be seen by my second pic which is a Rock River .223 with said scope/mount and a free floated hand guard with PLENTY of room.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:02:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Onslaught's post made me get out the caliper, and he is right/I am wrong.  The AR-10 flat top is approx .15 inch higher than the AR-15 rail, however my cheek sure can't feel the difference.  Regardless an Accupoint on an Armalite mount will easily clear a free float hand guard as can be seen by my second pic which is a Rock River .223 with said scope/mount and a free floated hand guard with PLENTY of room.

You're a big man, but there was definitely no need for all that  My personal experience with the Armalite mount is subjective.  I PERSONALLY think it's perfect on an AR10, and PERSONALLY find it just slightly too low on the AR15 using the same scope.  I always like to mention that in Armalite mount threads, just so the inquiring person is informed from all perspectives.

Something else that one can do to see the relationship between the Armalite mount and irons...

Using an AR with BUIS, place the mount on the flat-top without a scope in it, but with the ring tops attached.  Look through the irons, and it's very obvious that you are "co-witnessing" the UPPER third of the ring.  If the mount was the same height as irons, you should be looking dead center of the ring.

For the original question, you are 100% correct that the mount and scope combo will definitely fit and clear the forend.  The only reason the 50mm Mueller doesn't fit on my AR15 is because the DD9.0 rail is the same height as the flat-top, while the PRi tube can use either no rail or a short rail on top, and 40mm would even fit on mine anyway.

The quality of the Armalite mount is pretty impressive.  If you find it's the correct height for your cheek weld, even better.  If it's a tad low, you could either sell it and get your money back (they hold their value to around $55 - $65 used) or add a 1/2" riser like the GG&G standard or scout rail.

If you don't have a BIG HEAD (size 7 7/8) then you're probably fine.

EDITED TO ADD:
Something else just occurred to me...

Is your Accupoint a 1" or 30mm tube?  A 30mm mount is usually .09" taller to the center of the optic than a 1" because it's cheaper to manufacture the rings the same height to the underside of the scope, and the height difference to center between a 1" and 30mm tube creates that difference.

In other words, a 30mm tube will be slightly taller, and maybe fit better.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the thoughts and experiences. I have a big head 7 1/4 (but not THAT big, 7 7/8?? that's a big grape!) I think it'll work fine for me. My scope is a 1'', I think all accupoints are.
THanks again
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top