User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2005 2:19:29 PM EDT

Anybody own one?
Any regrets?
Any other scope mounts that are better?

I plan on getting this in order to switch the optics on my M-4 from EoTech to a low power scope quickly and without much hassle.  Would this fit the bill?

Thanks fellas
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#2]
have a link where you got it from?

imo this type of mount needst o stay stationary and not be removed if zero is a big concern
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank god I asked here first.  I love this place ( Dont worry I will get a membership one of these days)

Would I be better suited with Quick Detach rings?  Would they repeat a zero better?
If I need to I will buy a LaRue SPR mount, but looking at cheaper alternatives first.

Here is a link to the Armalite page if that is what you asked www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/components/mounts_rings.htm
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:23:42 AM EDT
[#4]
the throw lever mounts are suppose to return close to zero better.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:01:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:12:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, I would first off mention that when you're outfitting your AR15 for a scope, your mount is just as important as your glass.  No sense in buying a quality optic and securing it with a cheap mount.

The Armalite mount is FINE.  However, like mentioned above, it's not as rugged and robust as the Larue.  More times than not, you'll buy something to save a few bucks, then regret it later.  Better to save a little bit longer for the Larue.

There are also many good rings out there that should be considered too.  Larue isn't the only quality mount on the market.

But it's definately top notch.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:19:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the Rock River version of what you are displaying and I like it a lot (I think it is a bit cheaper).  I don't detach as much as the guys here do, but for a solid scope mount for a reasonable price I feel it is worth it.  If you are going to detach a lot the Larue looks like the way to go.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Larue is definitely the way to go if $$ is not an issue.  I got an Armalite long before I discovered Larue and have had good results with it.  It holds zero for me even after removal and replacement.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one of the Armalite mounts and I'm perfectly happy with it.  The LaRue didn't exist when I got mine, but I agree it's probably better with the throw-levers so it will repeat with the same tension.  That said, I've never had an issue with repeatability of the Armalite.  It has a lug on the bottom that just fits into the slots so the position is very repeatable.  Dialing in finger-tight plus just a little bit seems to be repeatable enough for me.  Never needed to adjust zero at 100yds with it after removal and reinstallation.  Personally I'd save the $100 and go with the Armalite instead of the LaRue.  

I also looked at the RRA and didn't go with it for two reasons (even though it's much cheaper than the Armalite).  One, the RRA is about 3/8" higher, which IMHO put the scope up too high.  The Armalite puts the scope at the same height as the irons or just a smidge lower.  Two, the RRA doesn't offset the scope forward like the Armalite, which is important to getting enough eye relief with higher power scopes.  For your "low power" scope you might be OK with the RRA.  For my 4-16x I needed the extra length.  

The RRA also lacks the recoil lug on the bottom, but in my experience with removing and reinstalling a different scope in $8 Tasco rings that isn't a big deal if you're careful about it.  I swapped back and forth between a carry handle and a scope in the $8 rings and shot 4 groups of 5 at the same target, alternating between the two sights and at 50yds it was just one 20-round group.  Good enough for me on a carbine.  (The Armalite is on a free-floated 20".)
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top