Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2006 6:45:47 PM EDT
OK, gotta get this thing apart because I sold it.  It is one of the fiberglass free float tubes.

I already used a strap wrench to remove the tube, but my DPMS tool doesn't span correctly to fit the holes on the barrel nut.  Who makes the correct tool, cheapest source?  The outer collar on the barrel nut protrudes 1/4", so I don't think a typical pin wrench will have long enough pins...

Help, please....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:15:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Morning crew?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I used Liquid Wrench, heat, and a 3 prong heavy duty tool with a 24 inch cheater..........

the nut did not budge, and I broke the tool.  

The tool says "viewpoint marketing".  Anybody know how to contact them?  I need to replace it for the person I borrowed it from.  

Plan B is to send it to ADCO.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Wildearp,

I'm the eventual owner of your FF tube. I just sent you a IM irt this problem.

Gene
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:07:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Any chance this was put together with loctite as a duty weapon?

There are a bunch of different types of barrel nut wrenches out there.
I have a special one I made just for armalite nuts.
If you do much upper work, DPMS (yeah, I know) makes a wrench just for freefloat tube work.
It will reach into really tough spots from around the receiver for the 1 piece type tubes and it uses 1" long 10-32 screws for the pins so they are easy to replace should you break one.
I have yet to break one, but I sure have tried.

If all else fails, send me the upper and I can get it apart for you...

Thanks for the reply.  The 10-32 pin idea is great, and I would make a tool, but I need them threaded, so I will just go ahead and send them to ADCO.  It is the Match Armalite, and there is a good chance it is loctited.  Maybe they used Green, because with the heat and the amount of force I used, red or blue should have popped loose.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]
ADCO got it apart.  You just gotta love those guys!  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top