Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2015 1:33:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/7/2015 1:44:58 PM EST by jchiggins]
Living in LaLa land of bullet buttons, I thought I'd try one of the new Ares Defense SCR rifles. Complies with Ca. nonsense rules and takes all standard AR uppers so why not?
Shot the gun Monday in my standard left handed mode and it functioned well and was accurate. The trouble is the receiver has no shell deflector and the brass for a left handed shooter is flung directly back and in my case hits my neck, or can go down my collar. I saw some videos of the gun with the brass running out the right side at a right angle but this gun is different. I fired 40 rounds and was hit by most of them. Here is a picture of the side of the gun. The brass is flung so directly back that it actually hits the receiver marking it up. Some of what hit me must have bounced off the receiver first.

Bottom line is I am going to have to spend another hundred bucks or so to put a Rainier or Spikes some other upper without a forward assist BUT with a shell deflector on the gun to avoid getting burned by the hot brass.
Great design job by Ares. They could have picked any receiver with a shell deflector to put on the gun but chose not to. One in eight shooters is left handed. Beware.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:05:38 PM EST
Anderson makes a lightweight receiver with no FA but with shell deflector... check out AIM. They're $40
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:27:16 PM EST
Aero has uppers without forward assist for cheaper than spikes and rainier.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:32:37 PM EST
I would say there is more than likely a possibility you can "tune" the ejection so this doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:47:21 PM EST
Well, you know where the JB Weld should go. That should be 90% cheaper than a new receiver.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:00:49 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BamaInArk:
I would say there is more than likely a possibility you can "tune" the ejection so this doesn't happen.
View Quote

Yup. Play around with the ejector spring.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:40:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By BamaInArk:
View Quote

This.
quit whining

Thanks Ares for designing, developing, and bringing to market a badass new little rifle which makes living in Kali suck a little bit less.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:15:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/8/2015 2:24:35 AM EST by jchiggins]
Thanks for the reference, I'm on the Anderson receiver. No ejection door which I also like. j.
Something came up mounting the scope. For the correct height for my eye, I had to put a depression in the upper part of the Magpul forend grip. I noticed the forend is peaked so I dug into old parts and dragged out an older Magpul Carbine forend and the top was flat on the older model. The design changed. No big deal. With this stock design and a 50mm objective, the scope has to be mounted lower than an AR. Fun with guns. Thanks to all mature adults responding.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:40:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By jchiggins:
Living in LaLa land of bullet buttons, I thought I'd try one of the new Ares Defense SCR rifles. Complies with Ca. nonsense rules and takes all standard AR uppers so why not?
Shot the gun Monday in my standard left handed mode and it functioned well and was accurate. The trouble is the receiver has no shell deflector and the brass for a left handed shooter is flung directly back and in my case hits my neck, or can go down my collar. I saw some videos of the gun with the brass running out the right side at a right angle but this gun is different. I fired 40 rounds and was hit by most of them. Here is a picture of the side of the gun. The brass is flung so directly back that it actually hits the receiver marking it up. Some of what hit me must have bounced off the receiver first.
<a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/user/JCHiggins/media/SCRMarks_zpsdff89e50.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/JCHiggins/SCRMarks_zpsdff89e50.jpg</a>
Bottom line is I am going to have to spend another hundred bucks or so to put a Rainier or Spikes some other upper without a forward assist BUT with a shell deflector on the gun to avoid getting burned by the hot brass.
Great design job by Ares. They could have picked any receiver with a shell deflector to put on the gun but chose not to. One in eight shooters is left handed. Beware.
<a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/user/JCHiggins/media/Long%20Rifles/SCRRt_zpsf0c0b246.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/JCHiggins/Long%20Rifles/SCRRt_zpsf0c0b246.jpg</a>
View Quote

How about a DPMS Lefthand Lowpro receiver they use a right hand carrier and left hand bolt that would do the trick
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:11:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/8/2015 1:12:55 PM EST by jchiggins]
Good idea. They designed the gun so any AR upper can be used as well as caliber switching if you use their bolt carrier. My first thought was to try to use my Stag lefty upper on it. Only problem is they have a proprietary bolt carrier designed to work with a link down to the recoil system in the stock so you must use their bold carrier.
The question is, do they use a standard AR bold head because you would need one with the ejector on the other side?
If their carrier takes a standard AR bolt then it's possible you could use a Stag left hand bolt with the ejector on the other side, install it in their bolt carrier and then use a Stag or other left hand upper or possibly get a Stag or other left hand upper receiver and put it on the gun using the rest of the Ares upper parts effectively converting it to a left hand gun.
Good question to get the answer to.
For now I have an Anderson upper receiver on order and that fix is going to be at least $200 less than the one described above.
If the SCR carrier takes a standard AR bolt, I could take the left hand bolt out of my Stag bolt carrier, transfer it to the SCR and see if my lefty upper works on the gun.
My only hesitation is I have never researched how headspace works on ARs. I need to do some reading so I can make sure all this swapping will be safe. If it all works, it would be a no cost road test and an interesting experiment.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:08:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/8/2015 2:09:26 PM EST by jchiggins]
Couldn't get tech support on the line at Ares but their spec sheet on the scr says it uses a standard AR bolt. I'll check with my guns later.
This looks like a left hand solution from DPMS. A stripped lefty receiver and bolt head for a complete left hand conversion. Lack of a shell deflector is not a factor with a left hand ejection.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/920208/dpms-upper-receiver-stripped-ar-15-lo-pro-flat-top-left-hand-with-stripped-left-hand-bolt-matte
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:58:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/8/2015 5:00:36 PM EST by MGP]
That is all you need put that bolt in there carrier and away you go. That price is high if you can buy just the receiver and buy a left hand stag bolt that works also. I found used lh lowpros for $75
Hope That helps that is my plan as soon as I can find lower.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:49:53 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:19:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By jchiggins: Good idea. They designed the gun so any AR upper can be used as well as caliber switching if you use their bolt carrier. My first thought was to try to use my Stag lefty upper on it. Only problem is they have a proprietary bolt carrier designed to work with a link down to the recoil system in the stock so you must use their bold carrier.
The question is, do they use a standard AR bold head because you would need one with the ejector on the other side?
If their carrier takes a standard AR bolt then it's possible you could use a Stag left hand bolt with the ejector on the other side, install it in their bolt carrier and then use a Stag or other left hand upper or possibly get a Stag or other left hand upper receiver and put it on the gun using the rest of the Ares upper parts effectively converting it to a left hand gun.
For now I have an Anderson upper receiver on order and that fix is going to be at least $200 less than the one described above.
If the SCR carrier takes a standard AR bolt, I could take the left hand bolt out of my Stag bolt carrier, transfer it to the SCR and see if my lefty upper works on the gun.
My only hesitation is I have never researched how headspace works on ARs. I need to do some reading so I can make sure all this swapping will be safe. If it all works, it would be a no cost road test and an interesting experiment.
View Quote

Bolt is headspaced to a particular receiver extension, not the carrier. So you can swap uppers w/ impunity, just move the bolt w/ the barrel. Most AR shooters don't check headspace; some here do.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:46:34 AM EST
Good idea. They designed the gun so any AR upper can be used as well as caliber switching if you use their bolt carrier. My first thought was to try to use my Stag lefty upper on it. Only problem is they have a proprietary bolt carrier designed to work with a link down to the recoil system in the stock so you must use their bold carrier.
View Quote

The only way to make this one lefthand is to use a lefthand DPMS LowPro Upper because it uses a righthand carrier and a lefthand bolt. The stag arms upper will not work cause it uses a lefthand carrier and bolt but the DPMS can use Ares carrier with a lefthand bolt.
Hope this answers your question.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:09:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By MGP:

The only way to make this one lefthand is to use a lefthand DPMS LowPro Upper because it uses a righthand carrier and a lefthand bolt. The stag arms upper will not work cause it uses a lefthand carrier and bolt but the DPMS can use Ares carrier with a lefthand bolt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Actually this gun doesn't use a standard AR carrier. It has a shorter bolt with a link off the back of it that travels down to the spring recoil system in the stock. I guess a lefty bolt and a lefty receiver should do it. Also I like the DPMs because it is a smooth sided receiver sans the forward assist. Probably a moot point for me because if the Anderson receiver I ordered that has a shell deflector works well enough to direct brass away from my body, I'll lose my motivation to spend more money to convert to left hand. We of the deviant handedness learn to see brass flying across our field of vision.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:50:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/9/2015 7:53:35 PM EST by MGP]

Actually this gun doesn't use a standard AR carrier. It has a shorter bolt with a link off the back of it that travels down to the spring recoil system in the stock. I guess a lefty bolt and a lefty receiver should do it. Also I like the DPMs because it is a smooth sided receiver sans the forward assist. Probably a moot point for me because if the Anderson receiver I ordered that has a shell deflector works well enough to direct brass away from my body, I'll lose my motivation to spend more money to convert to left hand. We of the deviant handedness learn to see brass flying across our field of vision.
View All Quotes

I understand how it works that why I was explaining the only way to make it a lefthand upper you have to use the LH DPMS LOW PRO
because it uses a right hand bolt carrier so It will work with your bolt carrier and a lefthand bolt.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:35:53 AM EST

I understand how it works that why I was explaining the only way to make it a lefthand upper you have to use the LH DPMS LOW PRO
because it uses a right hand bolt carrier so It will work with your bolt carrier and a lefthand bolt.
View All Quotes

Sorry. Probably read it too quickly. Thanks for the input.
Thanks to everyone for the assist. j
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:18:48 PM EST
Okay. This, I hope, will solve the problem. The fix was $100. for the receiver, torque wrench and Tapco AR wrench.
Should have come from the factory this way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:55:17 PM EST
see you already have a new upper.

brownells sells a shell deflector that attaches to a rail on an A3 upper. $15.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:12:40 PM EST
So let me ask how you like the SCR? I don't live in a ban state, but I live next to states that are and it's an option to greatly simplify my life when visiting family.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:14:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By tetoncounty:
see you already have a new upper.

brownells sells a shell deflector that attaches to a rail on an A3 upper. $15.
View Quote

Ya know, I saw that and I figured a rail was for attaching sights and didn't like the ad hoc aspect of clamping something on. ARES said they were exploring that option. Hmmm. This is a tad more elegant...providing it does the job.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:27:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By Ecirp:
So let me ask how you like the SCR? I don't live in a ban state, but I live next to states that are and it's an option to greatly simplify my life when visiting family.
View Quote

Yeah. I'm carping about the ejection because I'm left handed, but I think it is an excellent gun. Just a short sighted designer.
I own several ARs and the SCR is very comfortable to hold and shoot. I really do not view it as a compromise. It seems quite accurate although I have not reloaded for it and gotten serious at the 100 yard line. You can change calibers and bolt heads and use any AR upper on it and stay legal as long as you do not run afoul of various state laws. In California that a would mean no flash hider or vertical grip or bayonet lug or you would have to put a bullet button on it. Other "Evil features in Cali include the AR style pistol grip and the collapsable stock. You can pin the stock and "permanently" lock it in one position to get around that one and also use a compensator rather than a flash hider, but things are so damned arcane here, I don't trust the average cop to know what he/she is looking at in spite of line up training.
I like the looks. Remington 7400 meets BAR meets AR. Weight is a tad below a M4 Carbine with the slim barrel.
You could also install a bull barrel or some kind of varmint weight barrel. Plenty of options.
Here, you can have a Mini 14 or a SCR out of the box and not sweat the bullet button thing. I think the SCR is highly preferable because you have limited options in modifying the Mini 14 and it has the wonky Ruger magazine design which I think is a PIA. The Scr obviously takes AR 15 mags of whatever capacity your restrictive state allows.

Here you can not have the evil features on the gun UNLESS the magazine can be removed with a "tool" hence the bullet button which you use the tip of a .223 bullet to drop the mag.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:39:45 PM EST
An interesting note. The same forge made the original SCR receiver and the Anderson replacement. Except for the shell deflector, both are identical in minor details and finish. Minimized any fitment problems. j
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:54:02 PM EST
Glad you got it working. Mind showing us some pics of the inside of the lower? I'd love to see how they did their trigger, hammer, & safety.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:06:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 5:09:53 PM EST by jchiggins]
Here are the pictures of the lower interior and the bolt carrier which is different but the bolt head is standard AR. Thin hammer. Hammer spring may be standard. Not too crowded in there with no selector as the safety is on the trigger guard like a shotgun. Note the bolt release is extra. You pay six dollars, knock out the plug and slide in the bolt catch. The reason for the optional removable bolt catch totally mystifies me. From the pictures you can see the link which goes to the recoil spring in the buttstock (They offer a couple styles- I like this one. It's comfortable).

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:17:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 5:21:10 PM EST by jchiggins]
The reason people are likely to buy the Ares SCR here in LaLa land is if they outlaw the bullet button, guns will have to look something like this. No adjustable stock or a pinned stock in one place. A Monsterman grip or some other pistol grip eliminator. No flash hider, no bayonet lug, no forward vertical grip, ten round mag etc.

I like it better this way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:18:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 11:34:50 PM EST by jchiggins]
oops deleted
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:31:08 PM EST
Thanks for the pics. Did you save your bolt release slot plug?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:33:30 PM EST
Yes, that's why I have boxes of shooting crap from years ago. j
Top Top