9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/19/2005 6:05:52 PM EDT
One has to wonder.

1st we have flat floorplates

then it's adding a loop of paracord

then it's a molded plastic oversleeve

then it's replacement baseplates with a finger hold area

now it's replacement baseplates with big-ass molded in finger loop

You guys having THAT much trouble grabbing mags?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:08:05 PM EDT
No I never had much trouble myself......I was wondering if anyone else thought it was a little silly...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:41:51 PM EDT
No...but I think the Magpul is still a very uesful aid. It's better than a Paracord for sure!

Tack
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:53:24 PM EDT
awww come on fight4... you know all of the doodad shit yo uhang off your 17 pound Mforgery only ads street cred to your tactical operator ass. Seriously.

I love magpul followers, IMHO they are the single best product for an ar15 in the world. If I had to choose only one accessory for an otherwise stock gun that would be it. The Ranger plates are more for looks methinks. The Lumpy plates are cool, if they didn't reduce capacity, but only by virtue of making your mags stand out from the masses. I think they should make them in every color of the rainbow, like 1911 basepads..
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:57:07 PM EDT
can you not just cary your rifle, why do you need a sling?? another pointless question.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:07:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AROKIE:

can you not just cary your rifle, why do you need a sling?? another pointless question.

Poor analogy. Slings serve many legitimate purposes.

My question is straight up - I don't have trouble retrieving mags, but apparantly I'm in the minority based on all the new products
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:11:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
My question is straight up - I don't have trouble retrieving mags, but apparantly I'm in the minority based on all the new products

When I was in the Army, we just took some 100MPH tape and some 550 cord if we were going to be somewhere we'd be wearing gloves. Hot climates, it was never an issue. But I was younger then. Nowadays, I might need a seeing eye dog and sonar to find them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:32:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2005 8:32:49 AM EDT by Stickman]

Are you guys having that hard a time grabbing a magazine?

Usually? No, but it isn't the usual events that I train for.

I've been wet, cold, shaking, and barely able to move my fingers, however, it doesn't change that not being able to manipulate your weapon is unsat.

A real world double feed locks a magzine in the magwell pretty good, slippery wet mags don't help, massive amounts of adrenaline, and god forbid being injured aren't going to make a bad day any better.

Ever changed a magazine while your hands are bloody?

Like I said at the start, no, I don't usually have a hard time operating my weapons, but I have in the past, and I have no doubt that I will again.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:55:19 AM EDT
They do make the magazines a little easier to grab out of tight fitting pouches
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:00:28 AM EDT
As a keyboard commando I find it very easy to grip my mags. When the A/C blasting and the wife screaming at me to get off the computer and come to dinner the stress level goes way up. I personally think the mags should have all the nice little gadgets attached so I have something to brag to my friends on the internet about. I'm soooo tactical.

Now I would never shoot my gun because that damn carbon is so hard to get off of the back of my bolt.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:00:42 AM EDT
Depends on your gear, your gloves and how friggin cold or wet it its.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:15:34 AM EDT
I like the "Ranger plates" for the cushioning/protective effect when dropping mags from the magwell onto the ground (drills, etc.)... the extra cold/wet/etc. "grabability" is just icing on the cake IMO. YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:26:21 AM EDT
I agree... if you can't get the mags out of your pouch, then change the pouch ! Loops etc. are just a workaround for badly designed kit - unlike the .mil, we here don't HAVE to use crap pouches. Loops just add a snag risk with no efficiency improvement when they are on the weapon.

With the above said, I use the old MagPuls, turned sideways, for all my mags because (1) they protect my hand from cuts when slamming the mag into place, and (2) they make for a more stable position when resting the mag base for prone shooting:

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:37:19 PM EDT
Don't currently have any of these widgits on my mags, but then again, my ar isn't finished yet and they are in no danger of being dropped again and again on a hard surface. If that were to be the case, I'd invest in a ranger/lumpy plate so that the bottom would'nt get messed up enough to break off one of the little metal fingers that attaches the floorplate to the mag. Just a thought, but a $2 plate is cheaper than a $10 mag.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:40:39 PM EDT
I've yet to damage a magazine, full or empty, dropping (or pulling them out) onto the ground yet.

And I'm 6'4", so mine fall farther.

Not sure if I've ever dumped them on concrete though......
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:34:34 PM EDT

After reading your question again, are you talking about pulling it from a pouch, or removing it from a weapon? I think my first reply was different than what you intended.

Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:46:55 PM EDT
I like ranger plates for fishing the mag out of a pouch or pulling a stuck mag during a tactical reload.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:55:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:

After reading your question again, are you talking about pulling it from a pouch, or removing it from a weapon? I think my first reply was different than what you intended.

Sorry about that.

Yes. I don't know. Given the proliferation of grabbing devices for mags, I had to ask.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:36:46 PM EDT
Tag.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:51:52 PM EDT
Unit SOP dictates that I have loops of 550 on mine. Personally have no trouble pulling them out of pouches or anything, but they come in handy to just clip onto a carabiner real quick.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:04:36 PM EDT
Some members of this board are or have been real world users.

The black rifle is not a hobby, but an actual tool needed on the job.

Don't assume everyone here is a chairborne ranger.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:09:58 PM EDT
Here's some real world users, our boys, and they seem to have a need.

Wish the US Military would supply these guys with Magpuls, instead of them having to make their own!

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:32:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MisterSuzuki:
Here's some real world users, our boys, and they seem to have a need.

Mmmmmmud Puppies! Looks like 25th Military Police Company from Schofield. Was stationed there from 1993 to 1996, not an MP, but I used to drink with some.

The whole time I was in, the military didn't supply us with everything we needed/wanted. I can't count the things I had to buy because they weren't in my MTOE. Boots, more uniforms after destroying the other uniforms, more boots, hats, lots of hats, a parka because it was frigging cold, etc.

We tended to have to make choices for ourselves about what we were going to use as far as that goes. The military gives the basic tools and it's up to soldiers to make them work. Unfortunately, that usually comes out of the exorbitant pay soldiers get for their jobs.

Still, somehow, we got by. I think the magpul is a great invention. I don't use them on my 5.56 mags because I just don't need them there/can't justify the expense against what they give me. Maybe if they were cheaper. I do use them on my 9mm mags, though. Go figure. I'm crazy.

If TSHTF, I'll be the guy with 550 cord and 100 MPH tape on my stuff.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:24:16 PM EDT
100 MPH Tape / 550 Cord: Proven In Combat
Iron / No Sights: Proven in Combat
Knives / Sticks / Rocks / Leather: Proven in Combat

Point is... whatever works for you at the time.

Its what you like or works for you at the Range, or on patrol, in Combat, or at DCC Comp.

I use 100MPH tape and 550 Cord. Worked for me in some of the "Nicer" parts of the world.

The old LBE / LBV magazine pouches SUCKED so you needed loops to get them out quickly.

Train as you fight. If you train with the "Mag Pullers" and then are in a "Situation" and you loose them or they break, or you have to use other magazines from someone else.... That minute you dont have same equipment you trained with.. that fraction of a second could cost you or your buddy. The military does not "Issue" Magpulls as a normal item to everyone. Someday maybe. But you can always find 550 Cord and Tape.

Anyway.. good luck and Merry Christmas (Did I offend anyone)

Oh well. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Hope you get a gun / ammo / or gear!!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:58:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2005 6:01:23 PM EDT by MisterSuzuki]
Here's what I feel, works even better.

Maybe if we send some package strapping, some better mag pulls, would fit the bill.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=369180
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:02:04 AM EDT
Real world Marines I know have been using them since Beirut and they continue to use them.
Good enough for me on my battle packs.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:14:36 AM EDT
As a civilian living the high life in peace and serenity, I don't have pulls of any kind on most of my mags. Of course, I don't train with the AR too much and don't have pouches (yet) to pull mags out of.

That said, I do have three ranger plates installed and am looking to do the rest of my mags similarly. As has been noted, magazines are not cheap, even when you buy used ones at the gun shows. Protecting those magazines from unnecessary wear is only prudent, and some kind of rubber base pad helps. My Wilson and McCormick pistol mags have plastic/rubber base pads for a reason. I'm assuming that long-time IPSC/USPSA/IDPA shooters find them to be a good thing and made them standard OEM.

I'm looking forward to installing old-school magpulls and lumpy plates. If nothing else, it will offer some protection to my magazines, and distinguish them from other mags on the range. And, if you don't like them, don't use them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:55:40 AM EDT
550 cord and 100mph tape combo works well, combat proven and cheap... whats not to like.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:16:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DasRonin:

F4 trains and is a no shitter.
Don't assume he is questioning this to rain on a KC parade.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:27:13 AM EDT
The regular magpuls give another inch or so, of grabbable real estate, outside the rather deep pockets of my chest rig.

Dropping mags on concrete sucks, I've dinged some decent mags that way. The magpuls create a buffer to the ground.

Malfunction clearing is a bit easier with the magpul in place -- it gives you a good fingerhold on the damn thing when you are trying to rip it out.

I'm sure I could function without them, seriously, but I like the way my gear runs in training with them on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:36:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:

Originally Posted By DasRonin:

F4 trains and is a no shitter.
Don't assume he is questioning this to rain on a KC parade.

There was nothing to indicate in his post that he was in a career field where he carried the rifle for real.

The question was posted in such a way to indicate there was no real need for attachments to enhance "magazine management". A solution to a problem that does not exist.

Even so... and if he actually carries the rifle for real due to career. It still could be taken that there was an assumption that there was no need for such attachment by most if not all users who post on this board.

That was my point!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:39:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2006 2:42:28 PM EDT by Harv24]
originally from FightForYourRights

One has to wonder.

1st we have flat floorplates

then it's adding a loop of paracord

then it's a molded plastic oversleeve

then it's replacement baseplates with a finger hold area

now it's replacement baseplates with big-ass molded in finger loop

You guys having THAT much trouble grabbing mags?

Well, I can say that I was using 550 cord on mags long before AR15.com was invented..... That techniuque was developed by GI's,not Civillians, to help remove mags from Tight GI issue ammo pouches. This technique goes back quite a bit. (predated by GI's with Garands who use to wedge a 8 rd Clip into their slings so they had a fast and handy reload)

The magpull and Ranger Plates and Lumpy Plates are just an evolution of that original idea. (like a lot of original Ideas, some like the evolution of an original idea,some don't)

If you don't wear or use webgear, and are the average shooter who goes to a range and shoots off a bench, you'll never need them and they only look cool and serve no valuable purpose. if you useage is a little higher then that , then they serve a purpose. I know lots of untalented Carpenters with Really nice tools that don't help them become better then their skill level allows......

I liked the evolution that replaced the 550 loop (original Magpul) I like them and use them when I train using my Rig in classes. Could I live with out them??? sure, but they serve MY purpose and what Stickman described pretty much sums them up for me. And they were cheap since everyone unloaded the originals to buy the Rangerplates....

The follow on evolution of that idea never captured my fancy. I thought the RangerPlates were overkill and the LumpyPlates do pretty much what the original Magpul does for me. Protects the Floorplate.

Nobody REALLY needs Magpuls or Lumpy Plates anymore then they need an AR.......

But they serve a purpose if you have a need, and that is the key, obviously your experience has lead you to the conclusion that you don't have a need, and my experience has lead me to a different conclusion. I suspect the majority are somewhere in the middle..............................
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:31:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AROKIE:

Apparently you've never carried an A4 for 18 hours a day...
I thought my 3 point was the best thing since canned beer when we finally got them.
Top Top