Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/30/2006 11:41:52 AM EDT

Other than Gunpartsguy.com, bless his soul, he doesn't carry many AR parts.

It's just that I hate paying $$$ shipping when I am ordering small parts that I know cost about $ 0.80 cents to mail.

I order my FAL parts from GPG all the time because of his free shipping policy. His prices are better than most even with the free shipping, so he doesn't just add it into the price.

Why do most vendors not charge you actual shipping fees. I know it's added bonus for them but it really deters me to have to pay $6 to ship a firing pin and a few springs that cost less than $1 and will fit in an envelope.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I here you, _DR!

But I was just thinking about this the other day.

The poor venders have to take a cut from the Credit Card company, and then spend time packaging up a few little parts for a few dollars of sales revenue.  It's not really even worth the hastle.

I just try to get the little parts when I need something more expensive.  Otherwise, I just pay the rate!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I here you, _DR!

But I was just thinking about this the other day.

The poor venders have to take a cut from the Credit Card company, and then spend time packaging up a few little parts for a few dollars of sales revenue.  It's not really even worth the hastle.

I just try to get the little parts when I need something more expensive.  Otherwise, I just pay the rate!

But I am willing to send a money order, so no credit cards involved! I see your point about the time/effort.
I guess there are few out there like ADCO who have a flat $4 rate, that is not too bad.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#3]
dennysgun's shopping cart only charges $1 for shipping.

lots of other places have free shipping with a certain amount purchased.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
dennysgun's shopping cart only charges $1 for shipping.

lots of other places have free shipping with a certain amount purchased.

Thanks for that, will check out his site. That's the kind of info I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a tough thing for the vendors. For a $1 part, they probably lose $5 every time. You must realize that they take the time to order it from their supplier. Then they must spend the time to add it to their inventory computer program. Then they have to spend the time to get it from their shelf, put it in a box, print a lable for UPS. Then they take the time to get an invoice and packing slip ready. Remember, this is a $1 item. In the end, they have lost money.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's a tough thing for the vendors. For a $1 part, they probably lose $5 every time. You must realize that they take the time to order it from their supplier. Then they must spend the time to add it to their inventory computer program. Then they have to spend the time to get it from their shelf, put it in a box, print a lable for UPS. Then they take the time to get an invoice and packing slip ready. Remember, this is a $1 item. In the end, they have lost money.

So how does Gunpartsguy.com do it? Fast dependable service and free shipping, always.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know how he does it. He probably does it as a loss leader, hoping that people will order a high dollar item. His good service will probably pay off in the end. Do you really think that he covers his cost on $1 item?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I know you said free shipping, but ADCO is always $4 no matter what you order.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing is free.  UPS (and most certainly the Post Office) do not give away free shipping.  So all dealer need to make it up some how - either lower profit or higher prices.  I do not care if I pay $100 in shipping and get the parts for free or the other way around.  Just look at the bottom line.  Also factor in the service and technical help a dealer is to you.  Reward those who are good to you.  Blah, blah, blah....

ETA:  PK has shipped me a small cheap part and put it in a $1 envelope - ask the dealer and maybe they can.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't know how he does it. He probably does it as a loss leader, hoping that people will order a high dollar item. His good service will probably pay off in the end. Do you really think that he covers his cost on $1 item?

No, but all other things being equal, I will reward him with my business whenever I can.
Makes me want to order parts just because I know I don't have to pay extra to get it.

If that is a type of marketing, it's one that I like.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Last I checked Rainier Arms ships orders over $20 for free.

I have dealt with John several times, and have had nothing but good experiences.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Free Shipping!
         There is no such thing if the seller has half a brain. If a seller has prices too good to be true you can bet they will make it up on shipping. Use your head for something besides a hat rack, quit trying to get a free ride, and pay what you think is a resonable shipping rate. The seller has to spend time, cost of shipping materials, and the shipping cost itself to get a product to you.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:27:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Last I checked Rainier Arms ships orders over $20 for free.

I have dealt with John several times, and have had nothing but good experiences.

Brian

+1, if I need something new, and John has it, I go through him.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#15]
DPMS ships all orders over 25 bucks UPS ground for free....but be home...they make you sign for the packages..
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:59:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Free Shipping!
         There is no such thing if the seller has half a brain. If a seller has prices too good to be true you can bet they will make it up on shipping. Use your head for something besides a hat rack, quit trying to get a free ride, and pay what you think is a resonable shipping rate. The seller has to  spend time, cost of shipping materials, and the shipping cost itself to get a product to you.

That is what this guy is trying to do smart ass! He is trying to say he doesn't mind paying what is REASONABLE shipping. I do know some out there that make up for lower pricing with expensive shipping.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:09:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Free Shipping!
         There is no such thing if the seller has half a brain. If a seller has prices too good to be true you can bet they will make it up on shipping. Use your head for something besides a hat rack, quit trying to get a free ride, and pay what you think is a resonable shipping rate. The seller has to spend time, cost of shipping materials, and the shipping cost itself to get a product to you.

So you are happy to pay $9.99 in shipping for a $5.00 part?

I'm not...to many vendors here and out in the world, try to make up money on the back end.

That's why I like Brownell's...if it's small parts, you can get it shipped via USPS either Priority or First Class.

These vendors that make it sound like the deal of the century then make up the money in shipping do not get my money.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:25:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Free Shipping!

I'm not...to many vendors here and out in the world, try to make up money on the back end.

That's why I like Brownell's...if it's small parts, you can get it shipped via USPS either Priority or First Class.

These vendors that make it sound like the deal of the century then make up the money in shipping do not get my money.

You beat me to it. I was gonna say that Brownells has flat rate $8 shipping for no matter what...unless it is a small item(s) that is under 8 oz... then it's $3.95

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:33:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Large ticket items at Bravo Company USA always ship free, (w/ the ocassional te-shirt thrown it).

My last upper and others that I have ordered from Paul have came that way.

Mike

ps - the actual dollar value is listed on his site, see Bravo button above, good dealer
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Free Shipping!

You beat me to it. I was gonna say that Brownells has flat rate $8 shipping for no matter what...unless it is a small item(s) that is under 8 oz... then it's $3.95

No Expert

And don't forget that on some small parts, like small AR stuff, that you can request it to be sent 1st Class and it's even cheaper..
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#21]
nothing in life is free. I can usally find cheaper places that charge for shipping than going to those places where shipping is included in the cost.

Shipping is never free, they just include it in your cost so you do not have to add. If you cant add spend 3$ on something that can.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Free Shipping!
         There is no such thing if the seller has half a brain. If a seller has prices too good to be true you can bet they will make it up on shipping. Use your head for something besides a hat rack, quit trying to get a free ride, and pay what you think is a resonable shipping rate. The seller has to  spend time, cost of shipping materials, and the shipping cost itself to get a product to you.

That is what this guy is trying to do smart ass! He is trying to say he doesn't mind paying what is REASONABLE shipping. I do know some out there that make up for lower pricing with expensive shipping.

Exactly. I have a problem paying $10 shipping for a $10 part that costs an actual $1 to ship. Yes, it does force you to wait until you have a large order but sometimes you need a small part right away.

I like CDNN, but their Flat $10 shipping fee really deters me unless I am ordering a big ticket item.

Obviously vendors like Ranier, Denny's ADCOfirearms who have either a low flat shipping fee like $4 or a free shipping break after $20 are very reasonable and this is the kind of information I was looking for, if not completely free shipping such as GunPartsGuy provides for FN FAL parts.

I don't think looking for the best overall price is looking for a free ride.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Free Shipping!

No Expert

Thanks, wasn't aware of that. exactly the kind of information I am looking for.

_DR
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
nothing in life is free. I can usally find cheaper places that charge for shipping than going to those places where shipping is included in the cost.

Shipping is never free, they just include it in your cost so you do not have to add. If you cant add spend 3$ on something that can.

Not neccessarily true.
As I said gunpartsguy.com is less expensive than most other dealers of new and used FAL parts, and has free shipping. He probably has very low overhead and that's how he does it, but it works for me. I realize every vendor cannot provide free shipping, but I will give my business to those that make the best effort to make shipping costs reasonable. And that means not charging $10 for a $5 part.

And I can add just fine, appreciate your concern though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
So how does Gunpartsguy.com do it? Fast dependable service and free shipping, always.

James is great! Its WAY too easy to call him a place an order for any little part.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

James is great! Its WAY too easy to call him a place an order for any little part.

You know it.  Way, way to easy. Almost worse than peanuts at a bar.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top