Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/3/2003 6:06:49 AM EDT
Was talking with friends scopes and had heard about an ACOG which Uncle is trying out mounted in a foward location (aka the old Jeff Cooper Scout type mounting on a bolt guns).

Has anyone heard and/or seen anything (which they can share), along the lines of an ACOG (possible only trial / protype) which has the eyerelief for foward mounting (excluding optics with X1 mag such as the Aimpoints, Eotech and Reflex)

Thanks
John
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Some of the Comp ACOGs have very generous eye relief. They MIGHT be able to be used in such a way, but I really dont know and have not tried. For example, the 1.5x24 Comp ACOGs allow as much as and probably a bit more than 3.6" of eye relief. The 1.5x16 Comp ACOGs allow just slightly less than that at about 3.4". The 2x20's allow 2.1".

All of these eye relief estimates are actually on the conservative side in my experience and they usually allow for more than that. Weather or not thats enought to get you out there on a scout type rifle is another question. I have always wanted to try with a M1A scout though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks

At first though maybe was a mix up between ACOGs and Reflexs ... however, friend is fairly experenced in this area (still likes the TA01 NSN better because that is what he trained with in the military, however, will see after he uses the TA31 for a month on his AUG).

The M1A Scout works nicely with an Aimpoint M2, however, with the low ring I had one could not use the iron sights with the Aimpoint in place.

For mounting optics, still have not found a totally clean setup for the M1A (the AR10A4 is a little easier to mount M16 type optics on [;)]

Regards
John

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 4:57:44 AM EDT
[#5]
The AR10's flattop provides a nearly ideal platform for optics, but the irons aren't *quite* as good as the M1A. Oh well.
View Quote

Actually, there is a company manufacturing M1/M14 National Match sights that attaches to the upper receiver rail of the AR15 at the proper height.

I saw the initial picture of the product here as a matter of fact. So you could have M14 sights with an AR10 platform...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top