Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 11:16:47 PM EDT
I have a set of YHM 2pc railed handguards on my M4gery used for a VFG and light. It's my HD carbine and has only been used at the range since I installed the rails. However, I will be attending a 3 day carbine class next month and wonder if I need to install rail covers. Are they necessary or just for looks (I wear gloves, so heat isn't an issue)? I don't have much money and spent a lot for the course and ammo, so I like to cheap out where I can.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think they're necessary, but would provide protection to your rails from damage during the course.

Kudos to you for taking the class. I'm jealous. Goodluck!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:45:35 PM EDT
[#2]
motorcycle helmets aren't necessary in FL, but it's a matter of choice
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I too use the YHM handguards with a VFG and like the feel of the rail covers vs the bare handguard when I have to handle the weapon via the handguard.  I also like the added protection the provide for the rails.

They are not a "must have" item.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:37:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Put them anywhere you think your hands may touch the rail. Trust me on this. That shit gets warm.

Otherwise its mostly a matter of choice, I like for everything to be covered, some don't think its so important.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#5]
They are not necessary.  You should only use them if you want to a) protect your hands from the rails when they heat up;  b) protect the rails from being banged out of spec when you actually do more than keep it in a safe; or c) prevent the rails from snagging everything they come in contact with, especially if you have lots of gear/straps on your chest or you have to transition.
Aside from those very limited and narrow examples that are rarely encountered, you really don't need them and they are only a slick marketing ploy.
I also don't think that sights are that great either.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I dont think they are a marketing ploy,because when I shoot it eventually gets hot enough that I need to either use the vert grip or wear gloves.it does for me get hot enough that the panels at a point are just too hot.but I got mine because I dont want the alum rails getting chewed up,mine was expensive.the heat protection the panels do help with,but I dont think heat was the point,just keeping the rail from getting busted up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I dont think they are a marketing ploy,because when I shoot it eventually gets hot enough that I need to either use the vert grip or wear gloves.it does for me get hot enough that the panels at a point are just too hot.but I got mine because I dont want the alum rails getting chewed up,mine was expensive.the heat protection the panels do help with,but I dont think heat was the point,just keeping the rail from getting busted up.

If you are referring to my post, I guess you missed the last sentence.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are going to do any rapid firing you want them b/c your rail system will heat up fast. Plus they protect your rails from dings.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#9]
If nothing else, get the ladder panels which will keep your grip thinner feeling.  

Rails cut into things when you least expect it, plus all the other issues which people have already brought up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I'll go ahead and invest in some. Do y'all run covers on the top rail as well? My problem has always been that since one rail cover costs the same as a mag, I usually opt for the mag instead.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd go for it if I were you. They get hot and the edges can cause some unwanted problems.

ETA: I wouldn't put them on the top as the heat needs somewhere to escape and they really don't serve a purpose up there.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#12]
BTW... I found these covers at Brownells by Falcon Industries.  They're pictured in tan but they look very nice in black too.  They're thicker than most rail covers/protectors so they'll protect you better from the heat, and they also have a great diamond plate texture grip surface.  A little pricey but I like mine alot.

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=20698&title=AR-15%2fM16+RAIL+GUARD+%26+COVER
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top