Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2007 7:15:08 AM EDT
With LWRC, HK and Patriot already making piston systems, and Colt on the way - do you guys think this a fad?  Or is it the future?

I am considering purchasing another upper for my 6920 - and am curious about the staying power of the piston systems.

Anyone heard of any realistic drawbacks I ought to consider?

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the SIG556 has a piston....mabe check out the reviews for them?

fred
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#2]
My only thoughts on this is it would be good if they could all standardize on the same piston design, so we could have the same parts commonality we enjoy with most AR's now.  

I would not buy one yet simply because each of them will have their own design, with their own proprietary parts.  Also, I don't think it will be a helluva improvement over what we have now, at least not enough to justify spending near the cost of a complete rifle on just the piston upper alone.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
With LWRC, HK and Patriot already making piston systems, and Colt on the way - do you guys think this a fad?  Or is it the future?

I am considering purchasing another upper for my 6920 - and am curious about the staying power of the piston systems.

Price and un-need. It has been proven time and time again that the gas tube system works reliably.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Price and un-need. It has been proven time and time again that the gas tube system works reliably.

+1

The piston won't introduce me to any damn thing that my AR can't do already. Cleaning doesn't bother me, because I never clean my AR to begin with, and it's still A-Ok
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe for Carbines as thats what the piston upgrade was for.We dont use our carbines in the same environments and ways spec-ops do so for them they really need the upgrade.As far as systems go ARES shouldnt be over looked as they are the only ones that have a drop-in system that requires no major modifications to work and can be switched back in minutes if desired something that will apeal to the military..

I think the ARES system is gonna go a long way.To have a system that will retrofit in 10 minutes with out any major gunsmithing is the advantage..M4s could be left with it in or installed when operational circumstances dictate they need to be used like in environments where DI guns have trouble like in fine sand or extreme cold.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#6]
NO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The ARFCOM fashion LEOs have spoken: They are as out of style as leisure suits.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Sort of reminds me what Jeff Cooper used to say about the double-action auto in that these are a brilliant solution to a non-existent problem.  

Do piston-strokers have a future?  Sure.  They do seem like a great idea.  

Are they going to take over as the wave of the future?  Nope.  I think they will remain something of an in-demand curiousity, but don't look for a total next-Gen renaissance: in military procurement and fielding terms, the AR is just a bit long in the tooth for that -- and we've already seen the replacements lining up at the gates.  

Chief
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I see them as just another part of the whole that is the AR.  I initially disliked the AR, but I've found that it's modularity is extremely appealing and very useful.  Gas piston systems are just another modules that people can use to tweak the rifle to their benefit.

And in my mind, there's not a whole lot more we can do into conventional gun design.  I think the wave of the future is in what the guns shoot.  Things like Blended Metal and caseless ammunition are where weapons development are headed, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I see them as just another part of the whole that is the AR.  I initially disliked the AR, but I've found that it's modularity is extremely appealing and very useful.  Gas piston systems are just another modules that people can use to tweak the rifle to their benefit.

And in my mind, there's not a whole lot more we can do into conventional gun design.  I think the wave of the future is in what the guns shoot.  Things like Blended Metal and caseless ammunition are where weapons development are headed, in my opinion.

+1.  The military has been ready to replace the M16 for a few years now, but fortunately they decided that the middle of a war is NOT the best time to do it.  The Bundeswehr (German Army) was all set to adopt the caseless-ammo-firing G-36 (or whatever), but changed their mind at the 11th hour.  Methinks the next U.S. service rifle will fire something besides metallic cased ammo.

For my money, the price of piston uppers is just too bloody high for no real reason other than profiteering.  Bring them down to a more reasonable price and I'll consider buying one.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#11]
As they get into more hands, people will see the benefits.  Of course, the majority of benefits are for those who shoot shorties, suppressed, and full auto.  

I have a LW SOC in 11.5" configuration.  It will eventually be fitted with a Gem-Tech Halo suppressor.  In this configuration, the piston action will keep it running more reliably.  

When Colt releases their 1020, it will speak volumes in the marketplace.  Bushmaster also has a piston rifle listed.  I hope both find market success.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#12]
There is no "future" of the AR, the AR is the AR. Pistons may be the future of EBR's however.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top