Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:37:51 AM EDT
I have been hunting down vertical foregrips with flashlight adapers.  From what I see the way they mount the light hangs down about an inch below the barrel.  I don't know if I like this set up.

I just recently got a Surefire 910A but I think I am going to sell it due to the weight - my gun is already 7.3# so I am trying to keep everything light as possible.

I like the idea of having a light directly under the barrel but I don't want to run a tape switch so the only ergonomic way I see if a vertical foregrip.  Nor do I like the method of using your knuckle to turn on the light.  Seems like the thumb is the best way to go.

The Makos are nice BUT the have a switch in front and in the heat of the moment both hands will be squeezing and there is potential to turn the light on by accident assuming you want it off with a trigger in front of the grip.

Some manufacturers have the trigger activated with the thumb which I like better but every one I see has the light hanging down off the barrel quite a bit.

Maybe better just to go the traditional offset mount near the vertical grip?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#1]
My problem with them is that they are heavy and unnecessarily complicated.

I was issued the Surefire M900 something or other weaponlight, used it for about a day, then turned it back in to the armory in exchange for a Scout Light.

I would ask why you want the light below the barrel.

I have experimented with nearly every light setup out there and here is what I have come to:

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#2]
why would you not want your light below the barrel?

if you are going a corner on your left hand side your gun will have to stick out more, having

the light below lets you be consistent.

also and this may be my optic, but with the FSB mounted rail it cuts my sight picture some
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
why would you not want your light below the barrel?

if you are going a corner on your left hand side your gun will have to stick out more, having
the light below lets you be consistent.

also and this may be my optic, but with the FSB mounted rail it cuts my sight picture some

It blocks my hand from being where it should, at the forward end of the handguard.

I don't have any sight picture issues, with an EOTech or Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#4]
The more I think about it I lean towards a Jetbeam RRT-2.

I am going to see if I can work all of its features with a Command Arms Grip Adaptor.

If not I will then mount it offset.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#5]
it is a different grip, what i do is just treat the vfg as a had stop and spread my thumb and forefinger along the side of the fore end.

it requires you switch hand position when using the light though
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually after looking at this I think traditional regular mount has to be the way I go.

Surefire 910A =                                               20oz

RRT-2 = 6.2oz
Mount = 2oz
Command Grip is 9.6oz          TOTAL ABOUT 16oz

RRT-2 = 6.2oz
Mount = 2oz
Tango Down = 4oz                 TOTAL ABOUT 12oz

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top