Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/8/2003 6:54:32 PM EDT
What is the advantage to a Titanium Bolt Carrier?

Just another item to Blow Cash on?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:11:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/9/2003 3:44:13 AM EDT by G-CODE]
Originally Posted By fell-off-the-truck: What is the advantage to a Titanium Bolt Carrier? Just another item to Blow Cash on? [bounce]
View Quote
The carrier is one of the few things on an AR that you would [b]not[/b] want to "lighten up" Advantage=<0 edited to add the word not.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:19:23 PM EDT
Never heard of one. I would like a link to this thing. But still, my thought is that this thing (If lighter in weight which I assume it would be or what would be the point) could have adverse effects on the operation of the gun. A lighter carrier would increase cycle time a bunch which would make the bolt snap in to the barrel extension with a higher velocity. To copensate for that you would either have to increase the weight of the buffer (added weight again) or lighten the recoil spring, but that would perhaps make stripping ammo out of the mag and thus feeding, unreliable, especially when the mag is full. Still, someone who made it might have had some sort of reason to make it, besides just taking some fool. Out
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:04:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By G-CODE:
Originally Posted By fell-off-the-truck: What is the advantage to a Titanium Bolt Carrier? Just another item to Blow Cash on? [bounce]
View Quote
The carrier is one of the few things on an AR that you would want to "lighten up" Advantage=<0
View Quote
I think the primary benefit is to lighten your wallet by a few dead presidents. Geoff
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:55:51 PM EDT
Don't know about the carrier, but a friend recommended the Ti coated bolt and cam pin stating it would last longer in my M16. A friend and I ran 2500 rounds through the gun on the 4th and I also found that the Ti coated bolt was MUCH easier to clean compared to a standard bolt. 5 minutes in an ultrasonic bath and a few passes with a brush were all that was needed to remove all the caked and crystallized carbon off the back of the bolt.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:32:44 PM EDT
They arent made from Titanium, they are coated with Titanium Nitride. Other than being ghetto pimp gold colored, I dont see any significant advantages over a GI style parked carrier.
Top Top