Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2003 7:57:25 PM EDT
I have an LEO friend who has made me a deal that I really like for his AR carbine.  The lower is made by now defunct PWA.  I was wondering what the quality of this brand is and if I should go ahead and take the plunge.  Thanks in advance!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#1]
They are actually pretty darn good recievers... The quality is there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine was exceptional.Forged and just as good as any other forged mil-spec lowers.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a buddy who has a pre-ban PWA commando, he has never had any problems that I know of.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#4]
i used to have one...looked good...I wouldnt mined having another one
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:25:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine still works fine. Would like to have another. Rounds through it ?? alot.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:12:10 AM EDT
[#6]
IMO its the best deal you can get if your gonna strip it and rebuild it as a preban or its already got a decent upper.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:41:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine is cast, but still a good one.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:42:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I did not know PWA made cast recievers?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:16:47 AM EDT
[#9]

I've never seen a cast PWA. The PWA's I've owned have all been exceptionally good units. Wish I had a bunch of them.

As with any AR, condition and use is important.

I suppose you do know that not all PWA's are preban, and in fact are still available.

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#10]
The first AR that I build was with a PacWest Arms lower. Worked out real good, the buddy that finally bought it loves it and shoots it quite a bit. No problems.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I just bought a PWA preban CAR-15 yesterday- and now I feel even better about it! [:)]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't complain about mine - the quality was good and the finish was better than many I've seen out there.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#13]
anyone worried about their reciever(s) going bad and then not having the company to make you a new one?

Basically, how often does a forged reciever get "broken" in the AR world? anyone ever seen/heard of it happening?

Trying to get info for future preban purchase. PWA vs. Colt and Bushy
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#14]
[b]PWA[/b] are just as good as the best.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

you are comparing them with Colt?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

you are comparing them with Colt?
View Quote

I love Colt AR's but I would say PWA is right in there with them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
anyone worried about their reciever(s) going bad and then not having the company to make you a new one?

Basically, how often does a forged reciever get "broken" in the AR world? anyone ever seen/heard of it happening?

View Quote

Im sure this is one of the reasons PWA's do not command a higher selling price. That and the fact that they sold lowers only and it is harder to... oh nevermind!

In any case... any other info on PWA's making cast receivers. I really always thought they only made forged ones. All the ones I have ever seen were and had never ever heard about there possibly being cast PWA's until now?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are worried about this I would recommend you buy an Olympic pre-ban.  Their life-time warranty kiss ass in this aspect.  They warrantied an SGW lower I had and sent me a brand spanking new lower with my pre-ban serial number and my original SGW roll mark!  Pretty impressive (at least I thought so).
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are worried about this I would recommend you buy an Olympic pre-ban.  Their life-time warranty kiss ass in this aspect.  They warrantied an SGW lower I had and sent me a brand spanking new lower with my pre-ban serial number and my original SGW roll mark!  Pretty impressive (at least I thought so).
View Quote

That solves my problem!

OK, JackBurton, buy an OLY , and give me the name and contact info for your LEO buddy.  I need a 4th PWA, - my other 3 are getting lonely.[:D]

Or, you can pass on the oly with the sometimes really tight mag well and get a lower that is one of the best available. (yes Hoplite, I think the PWA is as good as a Colt - there, I said it.)

Tivoli, outside of the occasional rare KB, the most common failure of an AR lower IMHO is the trigger enclosure "arm" breaking off.

This is usually do to someone pounding the trigger guard pin into it with out the proper support, or the wrong tool or pin size.  The lower is usually trash after that.  As you can imagine, it does not happen that often.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:55:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
yes Hoplite, I think the PWA is as good as a Colt - there, I said it.)
View Quote

I need to try harder when attempting to "rile" up the troops.  Having owned a preban  Sporter II the only thing that stood out as different than any of the other guns I owned (besides that rediculous large front push pin hole) was the finish.  Other than that there was no difference.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 2:12:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought a PWA lower, 7,000 serial number range on a Colt HBar upper in 91. I should stomp my nut sack for selling it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 2:48:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The lower is usually trash after that.  As you can imagine, it does not happen that often.
View Quote

I've seen it happen quite a bit and it's an easy fix for the right welder. I watched the welder at my former employer create a whole new tab once when the broken piece was lost. Usually, he just welded the broken part back on and ground down the welds. It's not a lost cause if it gets broken off.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyway to check when the lower was manufacturred to check on the pre-ban status.  I now have one marked "commando" and it came with a old  a1 upper teardrop forward assist so I suspect it's truly preban but it would be nice to know for sure.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:08:46 AM EDT
[#24]
I did a search and found a thread with the answers disregard.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Its preban, marked commando, has a brand new M4 upper that hasn't been fired, and its coming home to my house this week!  I have been AR-less for too long!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Just came back from firing the PWA pre ban that I recently obtained and I am very impressed.  I also own RRA, Armalite and Bushmaster lowers and I would say the PWA is as good as any of these.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top