Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2005 3:48:07 PM EDT
hanksI still can't figure out if the top loading blocks will hold the bolt open with Colt style mags. Also has anyone had any trouble with the bottom loading blocks falling out? her
Thanks

Pill Shooterhug.gif
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:10:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks I just sent them an Email
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are Hanh 9mm Blocks The Best ?

Pill Shooterhug.gif

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pill Shooter

Yes.

Ok, now tell us why you think Hahn blocks are the best.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pill Shooterhug.gif

Yes.

Ok, now tell us why you think Hahn blocks are the best. hr

Try one and you can see firsthand! They work perfectly with Colt mags and modified Uzi mags.  They are well made and very nicely machined.  Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok, now tell us why you think Hahn blocks are the best.

Try one and you can see firsthand! They work perfectly with Colt mags and modified Uzi mags.  They are well made and very nicely machined.  Worth every penny.

Well, I've got a Colt mag block that works perfectly and the machining looked fine to me. The Hahn block 3D models I have seen look like they have a better feedramp than I've seen on other blocks but I'm not convinced it's necessary.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Spend the money on the Hahn...it is worth it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:01:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I think they are the best also.  I use the bottom loading one.
I have a friend that uses the top loading one.
I also had a TacBlock (copy of Crossfire) that I gave to a friend after I got the Hahn.
I also have friends that have the Colt/RRA block and IMHO, not as nice as the Hahn.
Not only do they have a nice feed ramp but they have a nice "flared" mag well so mag changes are faster.
I use mine in my RDIAS setup for SMG competitions.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Which Hahn is better, the top or bottom loader?  For what reasons?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:29:42 AM EDT
[#11]
The bottom loader has the built in actuator for the bolt catch, and uses the standard 5.56 catch. If you go to the top loading Hahn you have to drop in your conversion the install a 9mm bolt catch which has a longer extension on it to catch the mag floor plate when your last round is fired. I have used the the ASA top loading block which gave me alot of problems from magazine fit issues to FTF's & FTE's.  After switching to the bottom loader Hahn  my problems went away. The Hahn block is well made and well machined, it was so pretty when I first got it I did not want to get it dirty. I am not an expert, this just my experience and $.02. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:34:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The bottom loader has the built in actuator for the bolt catch, and uses the standard 5.56 catch. If you go to the top loading Hahn you have to drop in your conversion the install a 9mm bolt catch which has a longer extension on it to catch the mag floor plate when your last round is fired.

9mm bolt catches are prone to breaking whereas a standard 5.56mm bolt catch that is actuated but the mag block is much sturdier. This issue has been covered in great detail on this board before. If you're going to use a 9mm bolt catch you should definitely look into the extra heavy Q buffer that a fellow member is selling here in the EE.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Doesn't Hahn have a third type, more permanent,  now that uses a stnd bolt catch?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Doesn't Hahn have a third type, more permanent,  now that uses a stnd bolt catch?

Yes, they do.  It is pictured in the link above at Hahn's website.
It is basically the top loading block w/ the bolt hold open feature.  They do this by requiring you to remove your bolt hold open catch for installation/removal.  This is a great for a dedicated 9mm setup.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone ran this setup yet?  Is it as durable as they say?  It looks great.  I sent it to a buddy who has broken about 5 bolt catches on his factory Colt 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Has anyone ran this setup yet?  Is it as durable as they say?  It looks great.  I sent it to a buddy who has broken about 5 bolt catches on his factory Colt 9mm.

5.56mm bolts catches that are actuated by the mag block are far less likely to break. Dedicated 9mm bolt catches on rifles that don't use an special buffer are far more prone to breaking.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#17]
subscribing, anybody has pictures ?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#18]
To me, the 9mm bolt catch issue seems a bit overrated.  In a nutshell, the 9mm bolt/carrier is about 3/4" shorter than the 5.56 bolt/carrier and the 9mm bolt gets a little extra forward momentum going before it impacts the bolt catch.  It isn't like the 9mm bolt catch itself is more prone to breakage or made from a lesser quality material than the 5.56 bolt catch.  It's just that the 9mm catch just takes the full impact of the buffer whereas the blocks that use a 5.56 bolt catch have an actuator that absorbs some of the impact and reduces/prevents bolt catch breakage.  Buy the Q buffer which is a bit longer or put a small nylon spacer in your buffer tube or do anything that will reduce the amount of overtravel of the 9mm bolt/carrier and use either 9mm block with confidence.

ETA: If you're worried about the possibility of a bottom loading block falling out, go eith the top load.  Either top load block you go with will require removal of the bolt catch for installation.  If you're worried about 9mm bolt catch breakage, go with the new dedicated Hahn top load that uses 5.56 bolt catches.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an older Hahn top load block that has worked perfectly.  I think Hahn makes a very fine product.

If the idea is to make a truly dedicated 9mm lower, why not go with the original Colt pinned blocks?  It seems to me that it would be the strongest and most reliable.  The only thing better that I can think of would be a lower with a true 9mm magwell broached or EDM'd in place, with perhaps some contouring on the outside so that it looks like it was designed for 9mm from the very beginning.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If the idea is to make a truly dedicated 9mm lower, why not go with the original Colt pinned blocks?

Any mag block can be at least semi-permanently installed. M60 Joe installed a screw in my lower in the front of the mag well that goes into the mag block. I loc-tited that screw in as well as the block's detent screw. That sucker ain't going nowhere unless I want it to.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I just got a Colt 1-piece bottom loading block with a set screw to keep it in place and a "built in" bolt catch that allows the use of the standard 5.56 bolt catch without having to switch to the longer 9mm catch.
Does anyone have experience with this style?

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I just got a Colt 1-piece bottom loading block with a set screw to keep it in place and a "built in" bolt catch that allows the use of the standard 5.56 bolt catch without having to switch to the longer 9mm catch. Does anyone have experience with this style?

Yes, I do. I have the same thing in my 9mm AR. The "built in" bolt catch is actually the bolt catch actuator.

I've got about 850 rounds through mine and it's worked out great so far. However, I did have someone semi-permanently install the mag block by putting a hex screw through the front of the mag well into the mag block. I just tightened down the detent screw and loc-tited it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:55:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
subscribing, anybody has pictures ?

I'll take pics and post in the next day or two.

YES!  HAHN IS THE BEST
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Bump for Pics.
I am also interested jn the Hahn Loading Blocks.
A 9mm AR is on the horizion. BRD strikes again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#25]
we are still waiting for the pictures you promised to post!!!!
Hope to hear from you soon!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm such a bad ARFcomer. I swear I'll do it tonight
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#27]
As promised fellas, here are pics of the Hahn bottom mount block.  I have been told they are "like" the Crossfire blocks that are no longer made, but said to be THE BEST on the market.

I can answer questions if you guys have them so letum rip if you have questions.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#29]
There is also the older Hahn bottom loader that had a spring loaded detent to further prevent the block from dropping out.  Below is pic that shows the front of it.  Unfortunately, I can't find my pic of the back that shows the detent.
I think this was a GREAT design.  I have a friend that has one and he doesn't even need to tighten the set screw that applies pressure on the front roller.
He just inserts the block w/ NO tools.
To remove, just pop the rear pivot pin, push the detent and hit the mag release the drop comes out.  He never has problems w/ the block coming out and he does compete in SMG matches also.

I really wish Hahn put this feature back into the design.  I called and was told that they stopped doing it because people would forget about the detent and rip the mag blocks out by force and damage the detent.  I had begged for one of the older models and he didn't have any.

I know use a lower that I drilled/tapped for my block.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Spring plungers were inconsistant.  Initial testing proved it worked quite well, then later a batch of plungers broke almost instantly.  Since you can't have control of the plunger the only thing to do is eliminate it from the design.  It is unacceptable to rely on a subcomponent that cannot be made the same from lot to lot.  

The roller in front solidly locks the adapter in place.....you need a lot of force to push it out of the magwell.  It is simpler, reliable, and the hardware can be found anywhere should it need replacing.

The one pictured is a hybrid version until I was satisfied the roller system was better.  That adapter is on its 5th revision, always looking to improve.

BTW.....for you hardcore guys that never switch calibers, there is a new Dedicated version that was just released.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Excellent posts guys!
Thanks a lot. The loading blocks from Hahn certainly look very good.
This will certainly make my decision a lot easier.
Could some one please state the reasons why they prefer eihter the top or bottom loading version over the other?
Thanks!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Dehammer,
Thanks for the reply.  I still wish you had at least the option to put a plunger in there.
BTW, my friend that has the older block won the Knob Creek SMG match 3x in a row and is obviously a serious competitor and it works absolutely great for him.
I torqued down my block as hard as I could w/o possibly damaging something and it still vibrated loose on me.
I know two other guys w/ Hahn blocks that I compete w/ that were having them come loose also (both in transferrable Colt M16's).  I don't know what Generation of Hahn blocks they have other than them not having the detent.
Since I got a RDIAS, I just drilled a hole in the lower and block and now have no issues.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Could some one please state the reasons why they prefer eihter the top or bottom loading version over the other?
Thanks!!

As stated above, I have the bottom loader.  I use that since I use factory Colt mags w/ the bolt hold open.  If you don't care about the last round bolt hold open then get the top loader.

If you do care about bolt hold open and want a solution that absolutely won't fall out then get the "dedicated" version Dehammer mentioned.
It is basically the toploader but w/ the bolt open device.  To install/remove requires the installation/removal of the standard 5.56 bolt catch though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks!!

As stated above, I have the bottom loader.  I use that since I use factory Colt mags w/ the bolt hold open.  If you don't care about the last round bolt hold open then get the top loader.

If you do care about bolt hold open and want a solution that absolutely won't fall out then get the "dedicated" version Dehammer mentioned.
It is basically the toploader but w/ the bolt open device.  To install/remove requires the installation/removal of the standard 5.56 bolt catch though.

I might just have to pick up the dedicated top loader for my second SBR lower that is getting a nice new 5inch 3 lug TROS barreled upper.

ETA: that sweet barrel will be aquired courtesy of Title II Firearms
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a dedicated block on the way from Brownells.

It is not yet listed in the catalog or on their website but here is the part number:

100-002-321

Price is $200

I'll post pics of it when it arrives and a range report once I get the rifle built.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I've got the Hahn bottom loader, but I would the BHO is only 50% reliable with my 4 Colt 32 round mags (all have the shitty plastic follower.)  The BHO failures are consistent with the mag I use, so I blame the failures on the follower and not the Hahn block.  I have had a few malfunctions on my RRA middy upper, but I can't pinpoint the cause:  block, magazine, upper or ammunition.  The ammo has all been Winny white box from Wal*Mart, so I'm leaning towards ammo being the culprit.

I'd really like to replace my followers with the alloy ones, but I've had no luck finding any.  Is there a mod I can do to make them more reliable in terms of BHO?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I've got the Hahn bottom loader, but I would the BHO is only 50% reliable with my 4 Colt 32 round mags (all have the shitty plastic follower.)  The BHO failures are consistent with the mag I use, so I blame the failures on the follower and not the Hahn block.  I have had a few malfunctions on my RRA middy upper, but I can't pinpoint the cause:  block, magazine, upper or ammunition.  The ammo has all been Winny white box from Wal*Mart, so I'm leaning towards ammo being the culprit.

I'd really like to replace my followers with the alloy ones, but I've had no luck finding any.  Is there a mod I can do to make them more reliable in terms of BHO?

I was told to slightly bent the rear of the spring inside the mags with the plastic followers up.  This will pretty much end all your BHO woes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I have a dedicated block on the way from Brownells.

It is not yet listed in the catalog or on their website but here is the part number:

100-002-321

Price is $200

I'll post pics of it when it arrives and a range report once I get the rifle built.

Thanks for the response guys.
Can not wait to see the pics of the dedicated block and hear the range report.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:21:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I was told to slightly bent the rear of the spring inside the mags with the plastic followers up.  This will pretty much end all your BHO woes.

I tried that, and the results were not very good.  I just ordered the Wolff replacement springs from DSG Arms though.  I think that may be the band-aid that works (I hope.)
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top