Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2007 12:00:37 PM EDT

My agency is having major problems with our EOtechs.  Sure, the company takes care of us and the CS is great, but we are losing faith in the optic.

Here is what is happening:

We have about 20 of the N-cell models and a few AA models, from 2003-2005.  Both models have had numerous problems of the reticle dissapearing after the first shot is fired, then the sight does not tunr back on.  Apparantly, this is a low-battery indicator that is part of the design(what a horrible design!!!).  The sights are sometimes doing this with brand new batteries.  We have also had several sights "melt" the batteries for some reason.  

Basically, we have at least one EOtech crap out every time we go to the range.  The main liability is you dont know it until after you fire on shot.  This is a huge problem for real world use.  If you get in a gun fight and your optic goes down after one shot, that is a major problem.

I used to use an Aimpoint, but prefer the EOtech's open reticle for entry work, but I am not confident in the EOTech any longer.  

Sorry for the rant, has anyone else had these issue?.
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#1]
the n model s are known to eat batterys..... the aa what model you have and revison .

are better served with lithium batts and  are your battery springs compressed from use. if so use a pair of hemo and unstretch them.  but at all cost  get rid of the N modules.
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#2]

The AA are Rev. F.  

The main issue I have is the false sense of functioning you get, up until the 1st shot.  If the batteries are dead or low, I'd rather the sight not come on at all.  Whoever thought of the function should be choked.
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen a couple of Rev F units fail at local matches. Fresh batteries did not bring them back. Leaving the batteries out overnight did. BSW

Link Posted: 10/27/2007 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#4]
My 512 rev F went dimmer in the middle of the optic, its still visible, I need to send it in to have it loked at but it still works. I put new batteries in it and it still was dim. Annoying to say least.
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what you are describing is NOT the low battery alert.

when a low battery is detected is causes the reticle to flas for a few seconds on powerup and then go solid.

sounds like a bad batch or something. i have 3 eotechs 1 of them an older N battery model. other than the n model draining the batteries while powered off it's never had a problem.

Not according to EOtech:

The reticle is flashing/ flashing on and off/ unit turns off during recoil:
This is the low battery indicator. Replace the batteries.
If the batteries are low, the weapon platform may still cause the reticle to flash on and off, even before the low battery indicator takes effect. Replace the batteries.
Replace the battery with Energizer brand batteries. These have proven to be the most effective to withstanding a consistent amount of recoil. Many brands of batteries deteriorate faster than others and can result in these failures.
Contact Customer Service.

Link Posted: 10/27/2007 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Well, ok, it says low batteries OR a problem with the site.  So, it
"might" be a low battery indicator, accodring to EOtech.  Nice...

Link Posted: 10/27/2007 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I Found my 551EOTECH DEAd a few times

It runs fine if I put a New battery in it every week

I do LOVE my AIMPOINT that 7yrs old and ALWAYS works1

Dont have to worry if the Battery is going Dead Like on the EOTECH
or if it will shut off
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I found in my 512 rev F the batteries were held back from the connection because there was not any spring tension.

I pulled the springs out and pulled them apart slightly which fixed the problem.
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you guys considered changing to Aimpoints?
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 3:16:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Do the Aimpoint
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 3:44:33 AM EDT
[#14]
The_beer_Slayer

other than the n model draining the batteries while powered off it's never had a problem.

I consider that a big problem......

Get an Aimpoint.. and get your teams confidence back.....
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#16]
The way I see it, both the EOTech and Aimpoint can make lemons and have advantages and disadvantages; over the other.

Owning 3 EOTechs(2 551,s and a 552) and having done quite a bit of recreational shooting, I never experienced any type of failure when using the sights. Now there is a problem with the N versions slowly draining the batteries over the course of 2-3 months; even when not in use. You either have to remove the battery compartment for 5 minutes when done shooting or remove it when not in use. What I do is put a small piece of electrical tape in front of the battery contacts when in storage.

No more N versions for me for the above reasons I stated and besides with the AA's, they are more widely avalable and come in lithiums.

Now I just recently bought an Aimpoint ML 3 The two drawbacks I find with it are a more obstructed housing, even with both eyes open and limited brigntness settings. Yesterday, while at the range, I had to use setting 8 of 9.
There have been reports of Aimpoints going down too, as nothing that's man made or electronic in nature, is going to be perfect.
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Our N-cells are draining battieries faster than 3 months, more like a week.

I find Aimpoints hard to use for CQB, especially with a gas mask on.  However, I have signed for over a hundred of them in my unit and they have great reliabillity.  It is nice having batteries last a year or more.

Link Posted: 10/28/2007 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My agency is having major problems with our EOtechs.  Sure, the company takes care of us and the CS is great, but we are losing faith in the optic.

We have about 20 of the N-cell models and a few AA models, from 2003-2005.  Both models have had numerous problems of the reticle dissapearing after the first shot is fired, then the sight does not tunr back on.  Apparantly, this is a low-battery indicator that is part of the design(what a horrible design!!!).  The sights are sometimes doing this with brand new batteries.  We have also had several sights "melt" the batteries for some reason.  

Basically, we have at least one EOtech crap out every time we go to the range.  The main liability is you dont know it until after you fire on shot.  This is a huge problem for real world use.  If you get in a gun fight and your optic goes down after one shot, that is a major problem.

I used to use an Aimpoint, but prefer the EOtech's open reticle for entry work, but I am not confident in the EOTech any longer.  

Yes, mine has sucked since day one.  I sent two emails to the company trying to get an RMA but no response.  What a waste of $350.  The problem is the sight eats AA batteries in about 20 minutes and that is with the unit off.  Forget about leaving them in overnight.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#19]

I didnt have luck w/ email either.  I called and left a message w/ Dorene Flubberfelt and she called me back the next day.  Got the sight back w/ all new internals in a week.   Still, customer service is great, but their products make me nervous..
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I didnt have luck w/ email either.  I called and left a message w/ Dorene Flubberfelt and she called me back the next day.  Got the sight back w/ all new internals in a week.   Still, customer service is great, but their products make me nervous..

I'll give this a shot.  All I can say is I'm glad my life doesn't depend on my EoTech 512.
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Our N-cells are draining battieries faster than 3 months, more like a week.
That means you have a serious drain and should contact EOTec.
I find Aimpoints hard to use for CQB, especially with a gas mask on.  However, I have signed for over a hundred of them in my unit and they have great reliabillity.  It is nice having batteries last a year or more.
Super long battery life is definitely nice.
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, mine has sucked since day one.  I sent two emails to the company trying to get an RMA but no response.  What a waste of $350.  The problem is the sight eats AA batteries in about 20 minutes and that is with the unit off.  Forget about leaving them in overnight.  

Forget e mails, very few companies respond to them. It's best to call them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I have an AA model thats almost a year old and have never had a problem.  The batteries last a very long time and I turn it on every night and leave it on.  It shuts itself down by morning.  

If I were you I would see if Eotech could give you credit on your old N model sights for new AA models.
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#24]
My department and many of the other agencies here use the Eotech. We've had a number of recently purchased models that have had to be returned. Some of the new 552 models just shut off for now apparent reason. They seem to have a glitch in the circuitry of some of the units. Other units have been damaged by batteries leaking in the unit. Not necessarily Eotech issue but our Aimpoint Comp M's a,d M2's have run flawlessly without any issues. Maybe the alkalines are more prone to leaking than the lithium batteries. Eotech has been great with fixing any issues that arise with the dept units.

Full-Auto
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I have an AA model thats almost a year old and have never had a problem.  The batteries last a very long time and I turn it on every night and leave it on.  It shuts itself down by morning.  

If I were you I would see if Eotech could give you credit on your old N model sights for new AA models.

That's a great idea. I may give em a call myself. What's the worst that can happen; they would say no?
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
my aa versions don't have the drain issues the N versions do.

i replace the aa batteries every 6 months whether they need it or not and have never suffered a dead battery with frequent use.

I replace my AIMPOINT every 7YEARS even though its NOT Needed
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear ya

Aimpoint is just WAY better on the Battery SUBJECT or WATER or warranty
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear ya

Aimpoint warranty is the same as EOTech for professional use.(2 years) Besides EOtech has been known, on several occasions, to repair units bought second hand and out of warrany. This is provided it's an internal problem; not crushing the battery hood in a car door etc. As far as water resistance, I threw my 551 in the bottom of the pool(8ft) and it didn't take on water.

Battery life is another story but the EOTech has more and brighter recticle settings. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I had to use setting 8(of 9) on my ML3(2moa)Aimpoint yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine came with a 10year warranty
Its been 7 years so far

Some Eotechs a water proofed to only 10FT

and if it gets Below -20 they might Fail  ( I live in FL im okay)

NV models have better water proofing wich is 1 reason I bought the 551
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Its been 7 years so far

This is true. However isn't 10 feet good enough?
With the N version, yes, The AA with lithiums, no. Besides most of us will not be shooting in -20.
This is true. However I bought the NV model in case I neded to use it at night. If I had to do it over again, I would have skipped the N models but for my purposes they work fine. (post electrical tape) I actually like my 552 as it has peformed nicely with no problems whatsoever.

Link Posted: 10/28/2007 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Never had any problems with mine. AA 512... I think it is a very good optic... Don't know if you just got a bad batch or what but my runs flawlessly...
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Never had any problems with mine. AA 512... I think it is a very good optic... Don't know if you just got a bad batch or what but my runs flawlessly...

I keep telling him(FMJ) to call EOTech to get his unit fixed or replaced!

After the first battery drain, I would have been on the phone to EOTech.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I hear a lot about this "bad batch" stuff.  In my opinion a top tier company like EoTech claims to be should not be releasing "bad batches" into the field and if they do they should own up to it an make an effort to recall their crap.  I bought mine mail order through an authorized dealer so it should be no problem for them to contact me.  I really question their quality control.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#34]
My life depends on my ability to acquire the target quickly, the EoTech does that far better than any Aimpoint. I've used an EoTech in combat operations and trusted my life with using one.

If your department/agency has issues than you need to get L3 to fix those issue's. Trust can only be held in equipment that is maintained and tested on a consistent basis. I turn my optic on several times a week and use a battery tester to insure I'm using equipment that is as Murphy proof as I can make it.

Another option is to find the member that has converted EoTechs to charge using solar cells.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear ya

Aimpoint warranty is the same as EOTech for professional use.(2 years) Besides EOtech has been known, on several occasions, to repair units bought second hand and out of warrany. This is provided it's an internal problem; not crushing the battery hood in a car door etc. As far as water resistance, I threw my 551 in the bottom of the pool(8ft) and it didn't take on water.

Battery life is another story but the EOTech has more and brighter recticle settings. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I had to use setting 8(of 9) on my ML3(2moa)Aimpoint yesterday.

This is determined by the owner, not the model of sight.  For example, if your ML3 is a personal unit (even if you are a cop, soldier, etc.), Aimpoint will warranty it for 10 years.  The only sights that are covered for only 2 years are dept. or military sights, and even then I know of some way past 2 years that have been serviced free of charge.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Never any problems with the 3 512s and 1 552.  I use Lithium batteries and leave them in. I have only had to change them a couple times on my most used rig and that been a couple of years.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#37]
whats the deal with the rumors about eotechs beating the shit out of themselves since the batteries are inline with the recoil of the rifle?? Anyone else heard of this?
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#38]
No problems with my N cell, Rev F, 511.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Well I am sorry to hear about all of your luck and I hope your situation gets considerably better ASAP. Actually I have never heard of all of the failures and such that you have posted, not that I don't believe you, as I am sure it can and has happened.

I have 2 EOTechs for my Bushmaster carbines and I am happy to report that neither the 551 or 552 rev F has given me any problems at all. My 551 has worked flawlessly for 2 years now, same goes for my 552. As of this writing I have for the last 5 or 6 months, been using my 551 on my LT 110 QD mount so that I can burn through my massive stockpile of N type batteries. Then I will put my primary sight (Aimpoint CompM3 2 MOA) with my LT-129 QD mount back on. So for many months now, I have been trying to get rid of those as fast as I can, and that pretty much means continually turning it on day and night on the 8 hour auto shut down mode to burn up my stock of N types.

I assume that you have BUIS for these just in case you have to continue your mission, if the EOTech goes into fail mode? And I was wondering if that has actually happened yet during a mission? What does make a bunch of sense is to master those back up sights anyway. Could you indicate which BUIS your group are using, as I am just curious. I guess I am lucky, as are many others with their EOTech 551 sights. I love mine, and it has not failed me one time in any way, shape or form for 2 years now. And it has taken some knocks/falls that would have broken many, many other sights.

I have to burn through a few more packs of N type batteries before I will put my Aimpoint CompM3 back on my HBAR Bushmaster. And to be honest, It seems that it is taking forever to go through these batteries that I bought at a local Walgreens. I will still keep my 552 on my other Bushmaster with the LaRue LT-110 QD mount, and on that rifle I have my Leupold with another LaRue QD mount in case I need to be more accurate at much longer ranges of shooting. But that is just me and my 2 years of experience with my 551 and 552 rev F EOTech sights.

Sorry to hear about your situation, and I hope it improves very fast.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

I have owned several EOTechs and they have never failed.  I don't understand why you are not calling EOTech to get them fixed

EOTech makes quality products and stands behind them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 5:36:27 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

I have owned several EOTechs and they have never failed.  I don't understand why you are not calling EOTech to get them fixed

YES EOTECH MAKES A GOOD OPTIC

BUT it aint BETTER THAN AIMPOINT

go compare the specs

I have BOTH and like the aimpoint better

main reason Battery life compare to EOTECH   I NEVER EVER WORRY 10 years

Aimpoint Adjustment is easy use!

WATER proofed ALOT BETTER!!

Make a good optic for NAVY seal team

SOME  EOTECH`S ARE RATED  ONLY 10 FEET

MY OLD ML2 is rated 80feet

I m sure the M4 is alot better now!!

Other than that I still like EOTECH
mine has been working BETTER since useing ONLY DURACELL N

Link Posted: 11/16/2007 5:38:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its been 7 years so far

This is true. However isn't 10 feet good enough?
With the N version, yes, The AA with lithiums, no. Besides most of us will not be shooting in -20.
This is true. However I bought the NV model in case I neded to use it at night. If I had to do it over again, I would have skipped the N models but for my purposes they work fine. (post electrical tape) I actually like my 552 as it has peformed nicely with no problems whatsoever.

HOW Is your AIMPOINT Doing

I know you bought a second model ML2

just wondering
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 6:51:00 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a 552.A65(AA model) that I bought about 5 months ago. I have shot well over 3,500 rounds with it and I'm still on the factory batteries that came in it. I haven't noticed any defects or loss in performance. I think that they must have had some problems with some batches and or something like that, but I assume all is well now... I know that there is alot of EOTechs in the military and so far they haven't been complaining yet.
Aimpoints are like the cadillac of red dot's and the EOTech is the Ferrari. Personaly, I like to go faster at the expense of battery life
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#44]
height=8
Quoted:I have to burn through a few more packs of N type batteries before I will put my Aimpoint CompM3 back on my HBAR Bushmaster. And to be honest, It seems that it is taking forever to go through these batteries that I bought at a local Walgreens.

Murphy's Law # 1207899-33 Dictates that an EOTECH will NOT FAIL with a surplus of batteries. They WILL ONLY FAIL when a backup battery is not readily available.

This is probably why you are having a tough time going through the batteries or aren't experiencing any issues.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

go compare the specs

What are the chances you or anyone else will go into 80 feet of water, or even 10 feet for that matter?

I bet you'd have a higher probability of banging a supermodel.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I've never seen an Aimpoint go down.  I've seen a few Eotechs crap out though.  When I took a 10-8 tactical carbine course, we had at least one Eotech crap out.  It was raining out, and it just stopped working.  The course instructors told us that EVERY single time they had taught a course, they saw at least one Eotech fail.  That made me feel good that all my red-dots were Aimpoints.

I'd much rather have a red-dot that is reliable more than anything else.  Aimpoints approach iron sights when it comes to rugged reliability.

I have noticed many people say they like the Eotech because of its low profile nature.  I've often wondered if this is because those people don't shoot both eyes open.  With both eyes open I have a great field of view with the aimpoint.  Even better, with a cantilever mount, I can position the aimpoint right above the delta ring and reduce it's perceived profile even more.

Also, shouldn't one use a low ready or entry ready position during target identification?  This really breaks the perceived tunnel vision that happens when using any form of sighting system.  If you're running around constantly sighting down your optic, you will be less aware of your flanks and will instinctively point your weapon those things you want to identify.  Things like, your teammates, or innocent civilians...
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#48]
One thing the EOTech has over the Aimpoint is the fact you can shoot,break,distort,durty up the glass and it will still operate accurately. The EOTech has a much Faster draw than the Aimpoint. EOTech is much brighter and easier to acquire a moving target due to it's unique reticle. EOTech is know to withstand some serious recoil also.
EOTech may have let some bad production models slip through but I don't think that should discount their credibiity. It's human error and it happens. We never know how simple of an error may have caused a 'bad batch'. Maybe one of the assembly guys didn't want to lose his job so he didn't mention he screwed up on the last 100 or so on the assembly line and just let them go out. Does that make their whole company bad? you just never know the details.
But I do know that alot of military and law enforcement agencies use the EOTech and the number of EOTechs produced and working properly compared to the number of bad EOTechs is probably very high.
Aimpoint makes a fantastic sight and I can't say EOTech is better or worse; it's different.
Aimpoint has reliability and longevity
Eotech has durability and speed
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I've never seen an Aimpoint go down.  I've seen a few Eotechs crap out though.  When I took a 10-8 tactical carbine course, we had at least one Eotech crap out.  It was raining out, and it just stopped working.  The course instructors told us that EVERY single time they had taught a course, they saw at least one Eotech fail.  That made me feel good that all my red-dots were Aimpoints.

I'd much rather have a red-dot that is reliable more than anything else.  Aimpoints approach iron sights when it comes to rugged reliability.

I have noticed many people say they like the Eotech because of its low profile nature.  I've often wondered if this is because those people don't shoot both eyes open.  With both eyes open I have a great field of view with the aimpoint.  Even better, with a cantilever mount, I can position the aimpoint right above the delta ring and reduce it's perceived profile even more.

Also, shouldn't one use a low ready or entry ready position during target identification?  This really breaks the perceived tunnel vision that happens when using any form of sighting system.  If you're running around constantly sighting down your optic, you will be less aware of your flanks and will instinctively point your weapon those things you want to identify.  Things like, your teammates, or innocent civilians...

I believe he is specifically refering to the intial entry.  I don't clear a door low ready.  I use a 512 model now (brand new) I used to only use Iron sites.  The differance is amazing.

A few of our guys us M3's and I already smoke them as far as target aquisition (in a kill house of course).  The Aimpoint is an awesome site, no doubt at all, the EOtech is faster though.  Every tool requires maintainance.  For military, this is harder, for LE work, you should have nothing but time to maintain your weapons, I know I do.

My Sergeant is a hardcore Aimpoint fan boy.  I like both sites but for what I do, the Eotech was the clear choice.

I'll of course upate as far as quality in a year or so.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

go compare the specs

What are the chances you or anyone else will go into 80 feet of water, or even 10 feet for that matter?

I bet you'd have a higher probability of banging a supermodel.

the NAVY right are around WATER over 10 feet right

wouldnt a AIMPOINT be better for this!

LIKE I STATED ABOVE my 551 is doing okay if I use only DURA CELL N
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top