Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/20/2008 6:35:03 AM EDT
Title says it all. I will be purchasing some from a guy in the EE and want to know how good they are compared to cproducts and D and H? Thanks for any help. -Sam

Btw: the type I was looking into getting were grey teflon coated outside and green follower. He says they are genuine USGI. *shrug*
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, Center has current contracts with Uncle Sam.  Regardless, they are good magazines.  A couple of the details I like about Centers better than other USGI manufacturers - the floorplates are damn tight, and they have extra welds down each spine.  IMO, Center magazine bodies are the most rigid and will not pop and creak as easily as others if you hold them and twist.  The only bad thing about Centers is I have found them less likely on average to drop free from a given lower than with D&H or Okay.  Not MUCH less likely, but enough to be noticeable.  I have never had a Center mag fail to function properly, other than a few that would not drop free from all my lowers.

Another detail - don't fret if the ones you get have no markings on the baseplates.  That's how they have been rollin' for the last little bit, and if the CAGE code is still stamped on the body they are genuine Center mags.  Usually delivered in clear plastic wrappers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Center Industries is a current US Military contractor. Parsons and Adventure Line were aquired by Center. Center is one of the largest manufacturers of M16/AR15 magazines, and recently (1999) received a new GI contract for 10 million mags over several years. Early mags had black followers; mags made since 1992-3 have green "anti-tilt" followers. Made from 1980s-present.

*WARNING* Center Industries is not marking its post-ban magazines with the required "FOR LEO/MILITARY/ GOV'T/EXPORT USE ONLY" verbiage. All Center mags since the late 1980s have the date (in 12/99 format) and Center's CAGE code (6P199) stamped on the side of the mag body. It seems that some individuals have ground the date stamp off of some post-ban magazines and refinished the area. These magazines are being sold at gun shows to unsuspecting folks as pre-ban mags. Possession of these post-ban magazines by non-approved folks can result in a felony charge.

Floorplates stamped:

CENTER INDUSTRIES CORP.
WICHITA, KS. U.S.A.

This is from the AR15 Mag FAQ.  I only have a couple of these mags and they have given me no problems.  They are not teflon coated though.  I don't believe they ever manufacutured teflon coated mags.  I must admit, I prefer my Okay Ind., D&H and Cproducts mags better.  Just personal preference I guess.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Center is the biggest supplier to the military by a bunch.  Not becasue they are better but because the owners are blind therfore have an edge when pursueing gov work.  

So now you know why some don't drop free.  When the boss asks "are you sure these all drop free?" the employees say "Oh-yeah! watch this"
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Center is the biggest supplier to the military by a bunch.  Not becasue they are better but because the owners are blind therfore have an edge when pursueing gov work.  

So now you know why some don't drop free.  When the boss asks "are you sure these all drop free?" the employees say "Oh-yeah! watch this"

Now before anyone gets on me about jokes about blind people let me point that blind people don't read this forum.  Huh, I'm full of them!

OK, back to the mags.  Center seems to surplus the ones that don't drop free,  rather then to recycle them.  But if they drop free I like them a lot.  That unmarked floor plate is a bit concave, I love those.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#6]
would it be best for me to stick to Cproducts if they have a tendency to drop free?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Up to you.  But I prefer a mix, that way you can decide for youself. Also, if by chance you get some from a bad lot it only affects part of you mag inventory.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Up to you.  But I prefer a mix, that way you can decide for youself. Also, if by chance you get some from a bad lot it only affects part of you mag inventory.  

+1

I definately have my preferences but I agree with cckw that having mags from several good manufacturers is a good idea.  
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top