Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2004 6:59:02 PM EDT
I was just wondering if AR's are cheaper at gun show?  I am looking for my first AR and a friend told me that I should wait until Gunstock (in Waco, TX) or the next gun show (late October).  After looking for the past two weeks at AR's i'm ready to buy now  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Not.

Spend time on this forum.  Do your research.  Read a little, learn a little.  Not only will you get what you want, you'll likely get it for a better price than any gun show you'll attend.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Well Bachman at the Market Hall Gun show in Dallas had new Bushmaster 20" models for $850. That was not a bad price. They had  Colt MT models for under $1000.

but in General, other than them, not really.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Generally not in my experience.  You might be able to come up with some undiscovered smokin' deal, but in my experience, a lot of folks tend to be really proud of their stuff.  I think you're better off getting stuff on the web, or look around for an individual that's selling a rifle.  You can probably get a better deal that way.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]
No, I have found that AR's are actually more at gunshows
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with the others.  Once in a blue moon you will find a deal at a gun show, but usually prices are considerably higher than what you can get locally from a dealer THAT YOU FREQUENT.  You will be amazed at what kind of deals you can get from your local dealer if you are a repeat customer and give them steady business (and if you do all that and they don't give you a break, then likely they won't be around long and you need to be looking for a new dealer anyway).  
Also, as mentioned, the internet is a great bargaining tool.  Most dealers I know are now hooked up to the net and they can see immediately if their prices are too high or not, that way you cannot BS them, and they cannot BS you (if both of you do your homework).
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Gun shows exist so the educated buyer can walk around and window shop and the actual sellers can take advantage of the ignorant with inflated prices.

Outside of military surplus items...I see no value in attending gun shows.  Prices are at retail.  Best deals on the planet are right here on AR15.com.

EE baby...

best gun show goin'
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Gun shows exist so the educated buyer can walk around and window shop and the actual sellers can take advantage of the ignorant with inflated prices.

Outside of military surplus items...I see no value in attending gun shows.  Prices are at retail.  Best deals on the planet are right here on AR15.com.

EE baby...

best gun show goin'

Oh I don't know, I mean at the last gun show I picked up two excellent LEO 30 rnd mags for $8 each, Half a dozen USGI used mags in good shape for $6 each, and a couple of COlt 20 rounders in excellent condition for $12.

That beats the hell out of local gun shops, and by the time you pay shipping on the EE, well it wasn't a bad deal at all.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#8]
ARs normally seem high at the gunshows I go to.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

EE baby...

best gun show goin'

Oh I don't know, I mean at the last gun show I picked up two excellent LEO 30 rnd mags for $8 each, Half a dozen USGI used mags in good shape for $6 each, and a couple of COlt 20 rounders in excellent condition for $12.

That beats the hell out of local gun shops, and by the time you pay shipping on the EE, well it wasn't a bad deal at all.

geez...the seller must of acquired those for free then, cause he's pretty much giving them away if they're in the condition you say they are!  Good find.

My point stands though, your situation isn't the norm.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, unfortunately mags were the only deals I found.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoot, I read the site here extensively, then went out and bought a Mega lower and a M4gery kit for my first AR.
Thats the lowest priced way to get a AR. Build it yourself. Lots of help here and its not hard to build, as long as the upper is already done....
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I posted this one, maybe two servers ago:

I called Bushmaster before I bought mine, and asked why ARs were cheaper at the shows.

(Forget his name)told me that sometimes the sellers will swap out BM parts for cheaper parts.

I didn't buy one at the show - bought it from a LGS here that BM recommended - couldn't be happier.

Sometimes cheaper is...cheaper.

EDIT:  I was writing while you folks posted...about 1.5 years ago, BM ARs at SAXET here in SA were going for about $750.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#13]
The key to bargains at gunshows, is to pay attention to what other people are carrying around, not what's on the table.

If possible, I always have a stash of cash on me. Never know what you find walking around. Several years ago, it was a genuine Belgian FN-FAL Paratrooper. Divorce deal, and bought it for $1700. Finally got tired of it and sold it last year for $3000.

$1700 to $3000 in four years was pretty good.

With some judicious looking, I've managed to parlay into a fairly decent collection of stuff I want. At prices well below their worth.

Lonny
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#14]
It's just like anywhere else.  Your best bet is to find a good dealer that charges reasonable prices and keep giving them your business.  Shop around, and you'll find some good deals, but not always at a gun show.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:22:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Went to the Lima, OH gunshow yesterday and the AR's were priced anywhere from $575 (Oly) on up.  Bushy's were in the $700 area for the most part, and the colts running right around $900-1000.  

I was actually surprized at the small numbers of AR's there.  Considering the sunset of the AWB and the rising demand, I thought I'd see more.  There also weren't many vendors with accessories, and the only mag's I could find were cheap no-name garbage.  

What urked me the most thought was there was NO bulk 5.56/223 ammo to be found anywhere.  Whole reason I went was to pick up a couple good mags and snag some Q3131A.  Needless to say, I left empty handed and disappointed.

On a positive note, they didn't have the usual bombardment of garbage booths (airsoft, painball, flee market crap) this time.  This was the first show of the year and the flee market ppl might still be hitting the other circuits, but I'm hoping they tightened their rules on what vendors the let setup for the show.  Nothing worse than going to a gun show and finding half the vendors are selling non-gun stuff.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:55:07 AM EDT
[#16]
They should be cheaper at the gun shows, since you have dealers buying uppers and lowers and assembling them without paying the 11% excise tax.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I agree with xcpd69; it's not at the dealers tables that you will find the bargains, but with folks walking around. The best deal I've seen on an AR was out in the parking lot, a guy was selling a Bushie with a bunch of mags out of his trunk for $700.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#18]
There are good and bad deals at gunshows.  One must be educated FIRST and FOREMOST before considering buying anything at one.  That said, I have yet to see an AR at a good price at a gunshow.  I have; however, seen AR parts at excellent prices far lower than the gunstores I frequent.  Also, even though ARs are more expensive at shows, I have seen many pistols, Glocks for example, that are up to $150 lower than the store will sell for.  Magazines are typically far cheaper than gunstores as well.

Bottom line is you can find a deal or sure, but know what you are looking for and don't jump at the first table or even the first show.  Be patient.  These guys will get to know you over time and after you demonstrate you aren't a newbie, they begine to give you some good deals.  Buy small at first as the more you buy the better deals you get later on.

Attend sundays in the afternoon...more often than not, there are better deals, especially if the show was slow on saturday.  And, as already stated, don't discount the private sellers walking around.  If a table buys it, they will turn around and sell it for 75 to 100 dollars more.  Like I said, be educated and triple check what you are bying or you will get burned.  Very few folks at the shows are watching out for you, but there are a few who do.  After a few shows, you'll know who to buy from and who NOT to.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I am with xcpd69 also.  Of course I walk and look at the tables, but you can hit some pretty good deals from individuals.  Not only money wise, but no paper  trail either.   I have actually made money (although not NEAR whad XC did) without leaving a gunshow.  Picked up from an individual for 400, sold for 500 on the floor.  Little extra spending money for that show.

FWIW
Doc
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#20]
generally speaking, no they aren't cheaper priced, but often cheaper quality, since vendors often bring -'can't move them' items from their shops to sell

Plus, you are more likely to impulse buy at a gun show, after going in determined to get a rifle- any rifle.

do your homework, read up, search the EE, know what you want first, then seek out that exact set up.

you will be happier in the long term.

$750-$2,000 or more (depending on the set-up, etc) is a fair amount of money. Don't get in too much of a hurry to spend it
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I got a new no-ban bushie A2 config with FH and a 30 round mag for $800 at a gunshow in PA. I figure even if you pay a little extra it's worth it so you know what you're getting and can have it right then as well.

Two side notes: what is "EE"? And the mag that came with the bushie is marked for LE / Gov use only, is that normal?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I got a new no-ban bushie A2 config with FH and a 30 round mag for $800 at a gunshow in PA. I figure even if you pay a little extra it's worth it so you know what you're getting and can have it right then as well.

Two side notes: what is "EE"? And the mag that came with the bushie is marked for LE / Gov use only, is that normal?

EE= Equipment Exchange on this forum - they are classifieds from AR15 members - some good deals to be had.

"LE/Gov use only" marked mags are fine, now that the ban is over. The BATF has ruled that it means nothing now and they can be sold to the public. It generally means they will be good quality mags. Be happy you didn't get the 10 round "Klinton Klip" with your Bushy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top