Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2002 8:33:38 PM EDT
Are there any AR-15's that I can buy in NJ? I really like them, but dont know too much about them, but am very interested in getting one? I just cant figure out if they are illegal in NJ? If they are, is there anyway I can get one if it was pre-ban or something like that? Im not too sure how that works? What about building one, is that legal if buying it is illegal?  If this is something I absolutely can not get, can someone suggest a nice semi-auto rifle that is legal in NJ that ill like considering my likes of AR-15??
Thanks in advance
Chris

btw, i already have a beretta 92 and u22 neo
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Do an online web search for NJ gun laws. They are definately online. Have you lived there all your life or did you just move there?
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Chris,
Here in South Jerey are many stores that sell NJ legal black rifles.
Glassboro, West Deptford, Delran, Bordentown, and Yardville to name a few.
E-mail me for details
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely do research on both state and federal laws concerning firearms and so called "assault rifles."  There are so many complications that can occur if you are not aware of current laws.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Chris, target435 will get you pointed in the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 4:05:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I live in NJ. I have AR15 type and M1A rifles.

Yes, you can have AR15 rifles as long as they don't have "colt AR-15" printed on the receiver because in NJ it is banned by name.

Besides the rifle issue, all high cap mags (must < 15) for semi-auto firearms are banned in NJ as well.

Link Posted: 10/24/2002 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the help guys...i found a site, njguns.com with a link to a few nj laws pages.

They state..."New Jersey law lists firearms that are prohibited “assault firearms.” N.J.S.A.2C:39-1w(1). In addition, the law provides that the term “assault firearm” includes, “Any firearm manufactured under any designation which is substantially identical to any of the firearms listed” in the law. N.J.S.A.2C:39-1w(2). Thus, a firearm is an assault firearm if it is included on the list of banned firearms or if it is manufactured under a different designation than a firearm on the but is “substantially identical” to a specific listed firearm.

they defined assualt as a bunch of guns, but here are some relevant..
Bushmaster Assault Rifle
Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series

So, I could get a Rock River or Olympic Arms AR-15 or another manufacturer, but the only thing im worried about is the "
if it is manufactured under a different designation than a firearm on the but is “substantially identical” to a specific listed firearm" part. But I see a few on this forum have them, and i saw a NJ dealer online selling one, so i think there is something to be said about that.
Im gonna go ahead and try to get one, just hope I dont have any problems hinking.gif

anyway, considering colt and bushmaster are out of the question, I am wondering what would be a good one to get? I am looking to spend up to around 750 and Im pretty sure I want a 16" barrel unless yall think i should go with 20" otherwise. If so, why. I see the Oly. Arms plinker is very cheap, but only has A1 upper and sights? I presume this means the cheapest one. Would I be better off going with the PCR5 or CAR-97?  WHat about Rock River....i dont know anything about them...any suggestions.
As you can tell, im new to rifles since i grew up at s pistol only range. I appreciate everyones help
Thanks
Chris
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Chris, you can own ANY post ban AR15 made by ANY manufacturer. You could get one today, provided you have a valid NJ Firearms ID card and pass a NICS check. Tell me what part of jersey you are from and I should be able to point you in the right direction for a black rifle. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks FrankSquid
I guess that makes sense now, only pre-ban's could be considered "assault rifles" that are illegal.

I live near the Jersey Shore, close to Asbury Park. I also go to school down near Atlantic City, so im at home on the weekends and at school during the week. But I am willing to travel wherever for a good deal. So let me know where ya think. I might even go with gunbroker.com if i cant find a good price.
thanks for the help FrankSquid
Chris
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#9]
cdaniel525,
IF NJ laws are like CT laws that "Bushmaster Assault Rifle" they have listed is a different beast from the "XM15-E2" which is their "AR15" clone, what I'm saying is that you may be able to buy a preban Bushmaster after all.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Nope! NO pre-bans in NJ whatsoever!

ANY postban is legal in NJ.

If you are familiar with Bordentown, check out Sportman's Center on Rt. 130....

Not the best prices but the service is exceptional.

Good Luck.

I'm in South Jersey. E-mail me or IM me if you have anyouter questions.

Also - a good book regarding NJ weapons laws is:

"Nappen II : On NJ laws"

Evan Nappen is a politically active, pro-gun, NJ lawyer.

Tony
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Chris, I'm not too far from you, down here near Brick and Point Pleasant.  If you're interested, please feel free to Email or PM me.  I just bought this at the Valley Forge gun show two weekends ago, and it's awesome.

I'd also recommend spending $25 and buying Evan Nappen's book.  It's a constant reference for me.  Anyone who lives in this idiotic state and owns guns, should have a copy.

http://www.gothammarketing.com/rck/images/M4A3left.jpg

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top