Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2013 5:27:08 PM EDT
Curious about what I could potentially expect to get for my first build. Thanks for your time and evaluation.

1. Spikes lower receiver
2.spikes lower parts kit
4. Magpul enhanced trigger guard FDE
5. Magpul MOE grip FDE
7. Spikes st-t2 buffer
9. Spikes upper receiver
10. Spikes Tactical BAR 9" rail
11. Spikes Tactical LE 16" 1/7 5.56  barrel
12. Spikes Tactical Yhm iron flip sights
13. Kies adjustable low profile gas block $35.00
14. Bcm VLTOR mod 4 charging handle
16. Smith Vortex G6A3
20. Magpul B.A.D lever
21. Aim point PRO
22. KNS anti roll pins
23. Nickel Boron hammer
25. Stream light protac hl
26. Spikes Tactical lightened M16 BCG
27. Magpul UBR FDE                                                            
28. Damage industries silicone buffer spring                      
29. Magpul xtm hand stop kit
30. Spikes tactical engraved dust cover

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Fired approximately 60 rounds to tune in gas block and slowly break in barrel
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice build and it looks good. I dont know much about the bolt carrier.. but it looks pretty nice.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Curious about what I could potentially expect to get for my first build. Thanks for your time and evaluation.

1. Spikes lower receiver
2.spikes lower parts kit
4. Magpul enhanced trigger guard FDE
5. Magpul MOE grip FDE
7. Spikes st-t2 buffer
9. Spikes upper receiver
10. Spikes Tactical BAR 9" rail
11. Spikes Tactical LE 16" 1/7 5.56  barrel
12. Spikes Tactical Yhm iron flip sights
13. Kies adjustable low profile gas block $35.00
14. Bcm VLTOR mod 4 charging handle
16. Smith Vortex G6A3
20. Magpul B.A.D lever
21. Aim point PRO
22. KNS anti roll pins
23. Nickel Boron hammer
25. Stream light protac hl
26. Spikes Tactical lightened M16 BCG
27. Magpul UBR FDE                                                            
28. Damage industries silicone buffer spring                      
29. Magpul xtm hand stop kit
30. Spikes tactical engraved dust cover

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5497/10871958214_71e03980f6_c.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5508/10872114565_4a67ae0c99_c.jpg
View Quote

What was your goal when building?
Your parts are quality and I would expect optimum performance and reliability. I'd also expect it to be pretty accurate, IIRC ST uses FN barrels. Why don't you get it out, zero, put a couple hundred through and report back with what you think.

ETA: My bad...misread, didn't realize asking for selling purpose but I'm curious as well. I have a similar ST which I'm also considering selling..
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Expect to lose a few hundred dollars from the total you paid.  I would sell the optic separately.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#5]
You are asking us if you sell it what would you get for it?

Why sell it?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#6]
It was something I wanted to do since I was a kid, but often time I need the money for adult issues. It is a home defense/whatever situationI that requires it rifle. I had this vision of what I wanted before I learned as much as I have and somehow this rifle was my exact vision. I just wonder what my vision is worth.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are asking us if you sell it what would you get for it?

Why sell it?
View Quote

Yes if I sell it what price range may I be looking at if I sell to an individual. I know to never go to a gun store and sell. I learned that lesson long ago.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]
As it sits, maybe $1300-1400.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd say $1000 with the aimpoint.

It's a spikes rifle with some nice parts choices but it gets docked for the short rail, the M4 barrel and stupid zombie roll mark.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Its a hard question because it completely depends on the current market and how well you fake care of it in the process. In this market I would offer you $1000. It looks nice and has decent parts on it but it is your vision not mine and I would be settling or changing out parts the second I took possession of it. No offence meant.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow $1000.  I guess mine is just average. Can't be helped though. Thank you though
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#12]
$1,232.99
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#13]
1k without the Aimpoint and light. I'd guess you've got over that invested but right now you can't expect equal or greater return on that particular build. Around this time last year selling for profit was the theme but not now. Hold on to it if you can, it's just a matter of time...
One more thing, you indicate KNS pins(#22) but none showing in pics.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wow $1000.  I guess mine is just average. Can't be helped though. Thank you though
View Quote

Nothing I'm about to say is meant in a mean spirit, it's just the truth about the industry.  

The only way you'll ever get back the money you paid for the parts is by selling during a panic or finding someone who doesn't have much knowledge of the platform, but has a lot of disposable income.  Buying all the individual parts that you want and putting them together doesn't add any value to the rifle.  You end up with what you wanted to build.  Even in the extremely unlikely scenario that you find someone that wants exactly what you wanted, you're selling a used gun put together by someone who may not have much experience with assembling rifles.  

Put yourself in someone else's shoes...would you want to buy a rifle put together with various parts?  Would you trust that they did a good job building it in their garage or on their kitchen table?  Did they buy new parts or used?  Were the parts factory seconds?

You've put together a nice stick, go out and enjoy it.  If you need the money, put it up for sale, but you most likely will take a pretty big hit on it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I would say to sell the ubr and the aimpoint seperately.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the grip and trigger guard. Other then that we have different visions what a AR-15 should look like. What did it cost to build?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Worthless, pile of junk.....  Send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you

Add up what you paid for everything, subtract 15% and that's what you could probably sell it for

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#18]
maybe $1300 in a local FTF deal
$2-300 less shipped
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#19]
IMO, you would probably get back closer to what you spent by stripping and selling individual parts.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#20]
If it was me I'd ask $1500 as it sits.  $1200 minus the PRO.  $1000 minus the PRO and UBR.  I personally am not a big fan of a M4 style barrel without a FSB or a handguard long enough to cover the cuts.  I am a HUGE zombie genre fan, but would not own the zombie lower.

You will make better money by parting it out.  That way people are only paying for what they want and you broaden your buyer base.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Whatever you need money for - selling the rifle won't fix it.

You will get "X" amount for it and that will pay whatever bill you need paid.

Come next month the bill will be there again but you won't have the rifle.

One of the most truthful quotes I've read here "looking back if I'd of known selling the rifle would not have saved the house, I'd still have a rifle".

Cut expenses elsewhere, work harder, don't eat out, and you can make up for the $800 fast.

We have all been there at one point or another. And yes there are some guns I should of kept.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Figure out how much you paid for it.

Take off 20-25% for a used weapon.

Take off 10-15% for a home brew non-factory weapon.

Take off another 10-15% for a low AR15 market.
View Quote

This and change your name to Les Baer (might want to spell it Less Bear though )
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nothing I'm about to say is meant in a mean spirit, it's just the truth about the industry.  

The only way you'll ever get back the money you paid for the parts is by selling during a panic or finding someone who doesn't have much knowledge of the platform, but has a lot of disposable income.  Buying all the individual parts that you want and putting them together doesn't add any value to the rifle.  You end up with what you wanted to build.  Even in the extremely unlikely scenario that you find someone that wants exactly what you wanted, you're selling a used gun put together by someone who may not have much experience with assembling rifles.  

Put yourself in someone else's shoes...would you want to buy a rifle put together with various parts?  Would you trust that they did a good job building it in their garage or on their kitchen table?  Did they buy new parts or used?  Were the parts factory seconds?

You've put together a nice stick, go out and enjoy it.  If you need the money, put it up for sale, but you most likely will take a pretty big hit on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^ This guy said it pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#25]
The funding would go towards my graduate tuition fees. I appreciate all of your advice too. I bought all parts new mostly from spikes and other reputable vendors and assembled under the supervision of a gunsmith who worked for Fabbri a shotgun manufacturer I believe. I had access to fantastic tools as the shop was primarily for game related guns and relic firearms. I honestly wanted the standard spider lower but locally I received a fair deal on the zombie one. I honestly would swap for the standard one. I store and take good care IMHO of the rifle, as I researched a lot before building to make sure I covered as much ground of possible. I do also like the idea of a 12" handguard but they were not available.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#26]
It is worth what a potential buyer will pay for it. Nice rifle, but only worth what you can sell it for. Ask a price you feel comfortable with and work from there. As it is right now you might get close to what you have into it, but not a profit. Will probably take a loss on it. To many of them on the market right now to come out on the top side. But you never know, you might find the right buyer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#27]
If this is your vision of a rifle and this is exactly how you wanted it DO NOT SELL IT. you will regret it. Get the money you need other ways. Your not going to make money on it and its a nice rifle.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#28]
you won't ever get what you paid for in a rifle that you built yourself. its built how YOU want it, and isn't anything that a potential buyer couldn't build himself for exactly what you paid for it.

when it comes to ARs that you built, keep them
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:30:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Part it out on arms list or a local car forum (car guys are normally gun guys too). Or, find your local Facebook BST page and part it out there. People on here say your gun is worth 1000 when clearly two of the pieces of the gun (aim point and UBR) are worth 500 used... Sell the barreled upper for 450.00, and the lower minus the stock for 250 and boom, you got 1200 for it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:34:14 AM EDT
[#30]
"What's it worth?" is not a tech topic
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top