Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 10:47:11 AM EDT
I would be willing to send some of my South African ammo (20-40 rds.) to someone with a chronograph so we can all see how much velocity the 20+ year 5.56 ammo has lost. If it is still stepping out at a respectable speed I would think it could still be considered good SHTF ammo.

Anyone want to do some testing? IM me.

NYP
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Take the plunge, as I did, and buy a Chrony.  Less than $100 delivered from several sources.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#2]
BTT.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
check your IM.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:48:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I did this, and posted results here a few months ago.  Don't have the figures handy, but the SA ran about 3375 fps through the 20".  In the 11.5 it was faster than Wolf 55 through the 20".  

I thought the ES was large, guessing that's a reflection of age?

Sam
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:05:51 AM EDT
[#5]
NYP; I doubt very much that any modern ammo in a sealed battle pack that is stored under ideal conditons would experience any significant degradation in that amount of time. The world is full of 50 year old and older ammo that was stored in less than ideal conditions and it is still 'hot'. I still have one of those SA 1983 battle packs and am planning on opening it when I take my 16" AR to the range to sight in. I will also be using commercial and other military 55 grain, as well as commercial, military and hand-loaded 62 grain that day to see how they work with my set-up (16" Olympic HBAR, 1 in 9).
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#6]
NYP - I am about to test the new Wolf serbian import ammo and do a review.

For shits and giggles, I am going to also test, on the same day, in the same gun:

55gr Q3131A
55gr American Eagle AE223
55gr XM193
55gr Black Hills
45gr Winchester Varmint

Anything else I can scrounge up.

If you want me to add your SA ammo - send me a box of 30 rounds... and I will add it.  Should be a good post....

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top