1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 7/18/2008 4:36:55 PM EST
How do you like this scope?

Pros? Cons?

t seems like a very flexible optic, especially for an SPR/Rece build

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:58:02 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:24:45 PM EST
friggin rocks!!!! rumor has it that they may release an open turret capless model soon. I hear its a 50/50. I'd get one in a second. I was blasting plates at 700 yards with one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:55:42 PM EST
I've had one on a DPMS LR308 AP-4 for about a year now & I love it! The MP-8 reticle kicks ass, but it is a heavy scope. I wish I could put one on all my AR's and my M1a. I have the IOR Valdada M-2 4x also on a mid length AR and the only complaint I have with it is the eye relief is so short. I've also used both scope to shoot 18"x30" silhouettes out to 800 yds.
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 12:21:41 PM EST
I have one. It's an absolute tank of a scope. It feels like you could use it to drive a wedge into a log with no ill effects. The optics are gin clear, and the reticle is tremendous. Ihave not shot with the scope yet, but look forward to using it on an AR-10 and a Noveske Recon I have on order.

Mine came with VTAC steel rings which are extremely heavy. The scope itself is also extremely heavy. The only other con is that the reticle illumination is not very visible in bright daylight. I looked through a $2000 Nightforce the other day and its illumination was about the same.

If the weight doesn't matter to you, jump on it. You can't do better for the price.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 5:07:09 AM EST
I am seriously looking at buying one as well. Is there anything else in its size range (semi compact) that offers the range of magnification and reticle illumination?

How visibile is the illumination in the daylight? I don't expect to see it on a bright sunny day, but on partly cloudy day? Does the whole reticle light up or just the center portion.

Is the reticle the MP8 or the MP8 with the dot in the middle?

Does the eye relief change with magnification? I have tried other scopes that do and I can't get used to them.

Sorry for all of the questions, but for the price of entry I can't get it wrong.

I am wanting to use this on my 16 inch heavy barreled XCR. It will be for observer missions and woodland searches. My current scope is a 4.5 x 14 Burris Tactical and it is too long for the gun and does not have a ranging reticle. While the IOR will be the same weight, since it is shorter, it will put the weight further back wich is what I want. I like the broad range of magnification as I have more field of view on the low end than my Burris and not giving up much on the top end, especially for the anticipated distances to cover with a .223.

The only gripes I can come up with on the scope for my uses are the weight--hey who doesn't like lighter and the lack of mounting options I have found.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 5:36:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/7/2008 5:37:29 AM EST by PUBBOY]

Originally Posted By Martens:
I am seriously looking at buying one as well. Is there anything else in its size range (semi compact) that offers the range of magnification and reticle illumination?

How visibile is the illumination in the daylight? I don't expect to see it on a bright sunny day, but on partly cloudy day? Does the whole reticle light up or just the center portion.

Is the reticle the MP8 or the MP8 with the dot in the middle?

Does the eye relief change with magnification? I have tried other scopes that do and I can't get used to them.

Sorry for all of the questions, but for the price of entry I can't get it wrong.

I am wanting to use this on my 16 inch heavy barreled XCR. It will be for observer missions and woodland searches. My current scope is a 4.5 x 14 Burris Tactical and it is too long for the gun and does not have a ranging reticle. While the IOR will be the same weight, since it is shorter, it will put the weight further back wich is what I want. I like the broad range of magnification as I have more field of view on the low end than my Burris and not giving up much on the top end, especially for the anticipated distances to cover with a .223.

The only gripes I can come up with on the scope for my uses are the weight--hey who doesn't like lighter and the lack of mounting options I have found.

Thanks.

Night Force and US Optics.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 5:58:25 AM EST
I looked at Nightforce and US Optics. US Optics is over my price range.

The F 2.5 x 10 is in the ballpark and lighter.

What would be the pros and cons of each comparing the NF and the IOR?
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 12:54:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/8/2008 12:57:38 PM EST by Colt45guy]
I've had NF (5.5-22x56) and a couple of IORs. 2.5-10x50 and 2-12x32. Personally, I like the IORs better. Glass is about equal with a slight nod toward IOR--but when you're talking about scopes like these, the differences in the glass are so small, you'd be hard pressed to see it--even if you have them side by side. eta: The NF I had had one glaring problem IMO....the illumination feature was either on or off....no variable brightness, and the only way to adjust it was to take the battery out and tweak the rheostat with a jeweler's screwdriver.

the NF has a better finish overall--screw heads are much more finely machined and the body that holds all the guts isn't so blocky --but the IOR is (IMO) an overall better value. They're usually a few hundred bucks cheaper, and I can live with an ugly screw head that's covered by the turret caps as long as the scope is repeatable and doesn't shift POI. The IORs do this just as well as the NF and they do it cheaper. Both scopes are built rugged....I just like the IORs better.

I hope I'm not out of line, but there's a 2-12x32 for sale on the EE right now
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 1:06:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By Colt45guy:
I've had NF (5.5-22x56) and a couple of IORs. 2.5-10x50 and 2-12x32. Personally, I like the IORs better. Glass is about equal with a slight nod toward IOR--but when you're talking about scopes like these, the differences in the glass are so small, you'd be hard pressed to see it--even if you have them side by side. eta: The NF I had had one glaring problem IMO....the illumination feature was either on or off....no variable brightness, and the only way to adjust it was to take the battery out and tweak the rheostat with a jeweler's screwdriver.

the NF has a better finish overall--screw heads are much more finely machined and the body that holds all the guts isn't so blocky --but the IOR is (IMO) an overall better value. They're usually a few hundred bucks cheaper, and I can live with an ugly screw head that's covered by the turret caps as long as the scope is repeatable and doesn't shift POI. The IORs do this just as well as the NF and they do it cheaper. Both scopes are built rugged....I just like the IORs better.

I hope I'm not out of line, but there's a 2-12x32 for sale on the EE right now

Yeah, I've been in touch with him.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 1:17:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/8/2008 1:21:40 PM EST by Colt45guy]
yep....unfortunately, I need the $$$ or I'd hold on to it for you.

Here's a few pics of the 2-12, 2.5-10 and the NF to give you an idea of the size of these things.....you could use 'em as clubs if you run out of ammo

2.5-10x50 on my DCI FAL

2-12x32 on my DSA Stainless FAL

5.5-22x56 on my 24" DPMS 308

Link Posted: 8/8/2008 4:04:15 PM EST
Well I went with the IOR. Seeing the pic of it on the FAL, I think I made the right choice as to size and positioning, anyway. I keep hearing how great the glass is and I should see for myself on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 4:21:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/8/2008 4:24:01 PM EST by Colt45guy]

Well I went with the IOR. Seeing the pic of it on the FAL, I think I made the right choice as to size and positioning, anyway. I keep hearing how great the glass is and I should see for myself on Tuesday.

glad I could help. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I neglected to answer your questions earlier....yes, the whole reticle lights up. You really won't see it when looking at a brightly lit target, but when you're looking for something along a tree line or in the shadows, you'll definitely see the ret standing out--even on a sunny day.

These pics kinda suck, but here it is on full and minimum illumination.

eta: as for the eye relief moving.....I don't think so, but your head position (same with any variable power optic) is going to be more critical the higher you go through the zoom range.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:02:28 PM EST
I asked about the eye relief change as I had a couple of lower end scopes and I shoot NTCH (on my XCR it is nose to take down latch, but same concept) and it seems like I am always moving forward or back depending on magnification. It drives me crazy. My current scopes don't make me do this and did not want to find out an expensive (for me) optic had the same phenomenom.
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 2:24:58 PM EST
Got mine today, got it mounted and zeroed. So far, it seems like the perfect SPR optic. I did a qualification course which runs from 5 to 100 yards, shot steel out to 450 and did range estimation exercises. It seemed to handle everything just fine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 3:28:49 PM EST
Here's a pic of it mounted on my XCR. Its zeroed to my 16 inch heavy barrel, but I didn't want to switch barrels just for a pic.
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 3:36:07 PM EST

Here's a pic of it mounted on my XCR. Its zeroed to my 16 inch heavy barrel, but I didn't want to switch barrels just for a pic.

Your pic-fu is weak, grasshopper!
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 5:58:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/12/2008 5:59:07 PM EST by Martens]
Tell me something I don't know. I like to shoot guns not pics.

Sorry, I guess it would help if I attach the pic.

Link Posted: 8/13/2008 6:32:26 AM EST

Tell me something I don't know. I like to shoot guns not pics.

Sorry, I guess it would help if I attach the pic.

img143.imageshack.us/img143/783/p1010321ic9.jpg

Nice rig!

Which height rings are those? Low, Med, or High?
Top Top