Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 3:53:24 PM EDT
Whos using an aimpoint on an A2 upper? And how do you have it mounted? I seen the mount that puts the aimpoint towards the front of the carry handle and was wondering if viewing through the aimpoint with it that far forward is suffcient.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:28:28 PM EDT
I used to own a Bushmaster A2 Dissipator, and had an Aimpoint mounted in the forward position. Since the Aimpoint has no magnification, it has unlimited eye relief. It can be mounted close to the eye or far forward. Most prefer a forward mount in order to have more peripheral vision.

If I were to go that route again, I'd choose the A.R.M.S.® #39 A2 Plus Mount.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:06:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By M4Madness:
I used to own a Bushmaster A2 Dissipator, and had an Aimpoint mounted in the forward position. Since the Aimpoint has no magnification, it has unlimited eye relief. It can be mounted close to the eye or far forward. Most prefer a forward mount in order to have more peripheral vision.

If I were to go that route again, I'd choose the A.R.M.S.® #39 A2 Plus Mount.

Does that mount work with M4 handguards?
The fit seemed a little tight with the CAR ones.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:10:12 PM EDT
SOme PSP do as only the Colt A2 uppers are good to go.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:22:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By IMNOBUG:
Whos using an aimpoint on an A2 upper? And how do you have it mounted? I seen the mount that puts the aimpoint towards the front of the carry handle and was wondering if viewing through the aimpoint with it that far forward is suffcient.

Not that I usually do it this way, but then again, I'm an Eotech kind of guy anyway.....

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:31:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 5:31:36 PM EDT by Dilbert_556]
I use the ARMS M16 A1A2 mount.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:14:47 PM EDT
arms 39 works with car guards and a2 20 inch models. The M4 are to tall to work.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:22:52 PM EDT
for the guys with the aimpoints on the top of the carry handle...do you find it hard to look through being on top of the handle?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:38:06 PM EDT

for the guys with the aimpoints on the top of the carry handle...do you find it hard to look through being on top of the handle?

For precision work, it isn't much good. There is no ability to put your check onto the stock and get a decent weld. However, if you are doing two eye open shoot and move stuff, it works quite well.

Accuracy-No

Clearing and close in drills- Yes

I also train with a mask, so the higher up optics are very useful with that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:50:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:

For precision work, it isn't much good. There is no ability to put your check onto the stock and get a decent weld. However, if you are doing two eye open shoot and move stuff, it works quite well.

Accuracy-No

Clearing and close in drills- Yes

I also train with a mask, so the higher up optics are very useful with that.

The cheek weld issue is precisely why I use a standard stock instead of a telestock. I am able to get an acceptable cheekweld that way. I would think the cheekweld and accuracy loss issue would be more of a issue with an ACOG or other magnified optic. I'm not so sure you lose anything with the 4 moa dot and parallax correction in the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:56:45 PM EDT
You must have a different version of cheekweld than me....
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:13:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:
You must have a different version of cheekweld than me....

It's not a nose to charging handle weld if that's what you mean. I don't have any problem getting a firm cheek to stock weld a little further back on the stock. I'm not LEO or a professional by any means, and I don't want to come off sounding like one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:17:57 PM EDT
No problems, as long as it works for you, that is all that matters.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:26:05 PM EDT
I used a handle mount colt 4X scope years ago on my Colt N.M. A2 H-Bar and did very well with it as like Lumpy says...the heads up, two eyes open deal made me very fast....however...I also practiced quite a bit and it took a lot of practice at varying distances to get a grip on things..mainly because..

The center-bore of the carry handle mounted optic is a good 3.5"s above the center-bore of the barrel...so at close in distances of 10-25 yards my shots would impact a good 3-4"s low....with my crosshairs zeroed at 100yds....and only god knows what it was doing at 200yards as that's the longest rifle range I had available at the time.

I've been looking at mounts/red-dots/lasers & tac lights for over a week now...but I like my A2M4gery just the way it is...light, fast handling and un-encumbered...but if I were to put some sort of optics on my M4 Carbine?...I think I'd go with the Bennie Cooley Mount as it's got a sturdy gusset to strengthen the gooseneck yet gives a nice clear view of your irons as it has no silly top of handle mounting rail annnnd...is vertically adjustable to perfectly cowitness your red-dot with your irons...if ya absolutely hafta have a red-dot.

L8R, Bill.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:40:48 PM EDT
Stick what kind of mag is that in your picture above?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:55:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By YELLOWV:
Stick what kind of mag is that in your picture above?

Orlite, and I'm probably the only person who has fit a Magpul follower into one.... Its strictly for pics, I don't even use it as a training mag.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:04:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 9:13:05 PM EDT by IMNOBUG]
well i'm not kickin in doors fellas so i won't be doing any swift type close quarter clearing. just mostly some range work and home protection if need be. whats the effective yardage of an aimpoint? really just trying to focus on 100 yard iron sights, 5 and 3 inch circles right now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:49:38 AM EDT
Top Top