Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2007 12:12:52 AM EDT
Just wondering if anyone actually uses their AR pistol for HD. I know about the sound issues and people saying the antis and courts would spew remarks if one was used in a HD situation. I know a handgun and or shotgun would be a better choice. I know about the velocity issues with the short barrels.  I know these things because I've read them many times before,BUT I wonder if anyone uses them for HD at all or just for some fun plinking at the range.

Please don't flame me for asking, just curious.
Link Posted: 11/8/2007 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup.  Until I get the cash to buy something more suitable (CZ-75), my AR pistol is my HD weapon.
Link Posted: 11/8/2007 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Shoot one inside a room without hearing protection. You will find something else.
Link Posted: 11/8/2007 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Shoot one inside a room without hearing protection. You will find something else.

Shooting one outside of a room without protection will make you want something else.

It's not a question of choice.  It's a question of money with me.  I've got an AR pistol and nothing else, so until I can afford something else it will have to do.  I'd rather be deaf than dead.
Link Posted: 11/8/2007 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#4]
On the rare occasion that someone break in, I think it will work. Besides you probably wont even notice the noise even if you did fire. I dont think they would want anymore after a hit by a 5.56 223 round anyway.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I've seen on other threads that some people use the PLR-16 or an AR-15 type pistol for home defense with a pair of electronic ear muffs hanging near by that cut the high noise but allow you to hear normal sounds.

I personally use a 1911 and 12ga, but always thought the concept of a short AR that is compact for tight spaces to be a great idea except for the noise which is why I was curious to see how many people here might use it for HD. I guess unless you pay the tax and get a silencer for it as well it might not be as good an idea then.

Link Posted: 11/9/2007 1:07:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Besides you probably wont even notice the noise even if you did fire.

I heard the 357, so that's not always true
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 1:33:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, among several other guns. I try to keep a gun within reaching distance from most anywhere in my house.

I have an AR pistol, Stag pistol lower, Ace buffer tube, 10.5 LMT upper with a Noveske fire breathing pig, 40rd Mag, laser site and Surefire light, also a beta and spare 30rd mags near by.

It's damn loud at the range under the metal awning, I couldn't imagine what it would be like in the house but I figure noise will be the least of my worries if I need to use it.

I believe in overkill. The more rds the better. I also want to make as much noise as possible in hopes the neighbors will hear and call LE.

I own a conv. store and I worry some idiot will think I have large amounts of cash laying around the house, a home invasions is my biggest fear and I ive in a prime spot for a home invasion. Nice neighborhood but last house on a dead end street backed by lots of woods.
I don't keep lg amts of cash around but you never know who may think it.

I also drive home a different way from my store every time I leave it. I have had people follow me but I'll drive around until they get bored. I'll never go home if I think someone is watching. I don't want anyone knowing where I live and I've told my employees I'll fire them on the spot if they tell someone where I live.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 2:17:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yes, among several other guns. I try to keep a gun within reaching distance from most anywhere in my house.

I have an AR pistol, Stag pistol lower, Ace buffer tube, 10.5 LMT upper with a Noveske fire breathing pig, 40rd Mag, laser site and Surefire light, also a beta and spare 30rd mags near by.

It's damn loud at the range under the metal awning, I couldn't imagine what it would be like in the house but I figure noise will be the least of my worries if I need to use it.

I believe in overkill. The more rds the better. I also want to make as much noise as possible in hopes the neighbors will hear and call LE.

I own a conv. store and I worry some idiot will think I have large amounts of cash laying around the house, a home invasions is my biggest fear and I ive in a prime spot for a home invasion. Nice neighborhood but last house on a dead end street backed by lots of woods.
I don't keep lg amts of cash around but you never know who may think it.

I also drive home a different way from my store every time I leave it. I have had people follow me but I'll drive around until they get bored. I'll never go home if I think someone is watching. I don't want anyone knowing where I live and I've told my employees I'll fire them on the spot if they tell someone where I live.

Well in that situation I can definatly see the advantage. You might already have them but mabey a home security system like ADT or something and a good guard dog as well.

Back to the point of the AR pistol: I guess once again like all types of guns it depends on your situation and where you live. Like I said before I like the concept of the AR pistol for HD, but the noise keeps me at bay.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 2:32:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My experience with gunshots during an adrenaline rush was that I heard it, but it didn't bother me. A part of me noted the noise while another part of me didn't care--and the noise was by no means stunning or deafening.

Of course, the things I was killing had four legs, not two, but I expect it's much the same.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 2:33:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yeah that would be bad..
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 4:31:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah that would be bad..

Meh...being alive > ears ringing for a while.  I don't shoot without ears at the range, but I am willing to give up a little of my hearing 30 years down the road so I can be alive 30 years down the road to stick the funnel in my ear and ask people to speak toward it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 6:45:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't have any medical proof to back this up, BUT given the considerable loudness of an AR pistol, I wonder if you'd only suffer a "little" hearing damage down the road, or if you'd suffer some serious and immediate hearing damage.

All I know is, with pistols, inside the house, during an adrenaline rush, for me personally, the sound is not loud at all, and more of an after-thought than a primary.  My ears weren't even ringing afterward.

On the other hand, a 20" rifle firing the next bay over on an outside range under a metal cover while we were SUPPOSED to be on "range cold" (no plugs) hurt so bad I immediately and involuntarily jumped up started yelling a stream of cuss words at the guy before I ever realized what I was doing.  If he had not been so submissive and apologetic, I'm sure I would have started punching on him just as involuntarily.  

Afterward, I had a sharp pain in that ear for a couple of days, and I have definitely suffered immediate and noticeable hearing loss in that ear.

Anyway, I realize that being dead means 100% hearing loss in both ears anyway and I doubt a shotgun is going to be less damaging, so I'm not against the concept, but I think any steps you can take to protect your ears in advance would be worth the trouble.  (suppressor, Pig, earpro, etc.)
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't have any medical proof to back this up, BUT given the considerable loudness of an AR pistol, I wonder if you'd only suffer a "little" hearing damage down the road, or if you'd suffer some serious and immediate hearing damage.

All I know is, with pistols, inside the house, during an adrenaline rush, for me personally, the sound is not loud at all, and more of an after-thought than a primary.  My ears weren't even ringing afterward.

On the other hand, a 20" rifle firing the next bay over on an outside range under a metal cover while we were SUPPOSED to be on "range cold" (no plugs) hurt so bad I immediately and involuntarily jumped up started yelling a stream of cuss words at the guy before I ever realized what I was doing.  If he had not been so submissive and apologetic, I'm sure I would have started punching on him just as involuntarily.  

Afterward, I had a sharp pain in that ear for a couple of days, and I have definitely suffered immediate and noticeable hearing loss in that ear.

Anyway, I realize that being dead means 100% hearing loss in both ears anyway and I doubt a shotgun is going to be less damaging, so I'm not against the concept, but I think any steps you can take to protect your ears in advance would be worth the trouble.  (suppressor, Pig, earpro, etc.)

That is one thing I always wondered about. People talk about the noise of AR or AK rifle/pistols indoors being loud and suggest a shotgun instead. However the last time I was shoting my 12ga during skeet outside with hearing protection it seems pretty loud to me and when a person is next to me at the range shooting slugs indoors its worse. This is why I would think with a good compensator/flash surpressor you could at least eliminate the flash (Phantom) or direct the flash away from the shooter (Levang) with an AR pistol.
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#14]
KX3 FTW!

Link Posted: 11/13/2007 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That is one thing I always wondered about. People talk about the noise of AR or AK rifle/pistols indoors being loud and suggest a shotgun instead. However the last time I was shoting my 12ga during skeet outside with hearing protection it seems pretty loud to me and when a person is next to me at the range shooting slugs indoors its worse. This is why I would think with a good compensator/flash surpressor you could at least eliminate the flash (Phantom) or direct the flash away from the shooter (Levang) with an AR pistol.

A shotgun is a lower-pressure round than a rifle, which results in less noise and blast.

Nothing short of a suppressor will quiet the muzzle blast.  Directing it downrange won't do diddly because the walls will only reflect it right back at you.
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My experience with gunshots during an adrenaline rush was that I heard it, but it didn't bother me. A part of me noted the noise while another part of me didn't care--and the noise was by no means stunning or deafening.

Of course, the things I was killing had four legs, not two, but I expect it's much the same.

One shot from a .380 pistol, fired inside my garage, resulted in a brief sharp pain in my ears and ringing that lasted for at least half an hour (had trouble understanding what people were saying, for about 10 minutes).  That shot was fired with the garage door open, and the sound was still amplified.  I don't think I want to find out how loud it would be inside the house.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I have severe hearing damage in my left ear from a colleague's short barreled 249 during an ambush while on a raid  in Mosul.  Bad guy was about 30 m away behind concrete and three stories higher.  Despite being preoccupied with the situation I noticed the immediate intense pain in my ear.  Still can't hear what people are saying even when they are right in front of my face........especially if there is a bunch of background noise (like a resturant).  I can hear the voice, just can't decipher the words.......lip reading helps.  
The point to all this.......though it didn't effect my handling of the situation drastically.......I did have about a 2 to 3 second intense pain in my ear canal that even with bullets flying at close range was still distracting and caused me to grab my face.  It also impaired my ability to use commo while maintaining verbal communication with the others!  if I could do it over again electronic ear pro would be the ticket.  Infer what you will.......use an AR pistol if you must.........but concussion/noise isn't always drowned out by adrenaline.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Any firearms inside of a room is going to be loud, however .223 especially.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#19]

my ar pistol with a 6.5 inch barrel is the loudest pistol i have ever shot.  at the fop range which is down in the hollar, it  echos the sound and makes it even louder.  it definately turns heads.  i took my flash hider off and it shoots huge flames now.  i say if you have to and can try to surprise the intruder and shoot him as you hold it point blank against him.  will muffle the sound some but the clean up will be um......messy.  love my ar pistol but it is a novelty item.  especially with my beta cmag in the magwell.  i think if you shot it in my small house it would blow the windows out.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#20]
You don't notice much when the adrenaline is pumping.  I shot a deer Tuesday with a 12ga 3in mag, and didn't even notice the kick or blast.  I didn't even realize my ears were ringing till I got to the downed animal.  My 7in Kitty didn't bother me much shooting out of a barn.  I think you would be fine in a HD situation.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#21]
yup, one of many
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top